Day 42 TK case

Moderators: andreas.kippnick, Stefke

bagger

Day 42 TK case

Post by bagger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 am

Dear TK,

please explain your task start in day 42. As you remember we were on the same server. You started few minuts befor me, close to UWE start time. After 1 TP you droped water - you told that - and after few minuts you disconnected.

I check today day scoring list and you are on 1 st place with 13:45 start time.
Your task ID LCONFlightInfoRaceID=633556010,
all others on this server have LCONFlightInfoRaceID=147923024

Why did you fly this task second time??

Why did you upload your flight??

Please explain this, I think you made big mistake :?
Pozdrawiam, Jarek

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:42 am

I didnt disconnect, I got windows bluescreen, again (and no, I'm not trying to make excuses, but many can confirm the number of bluescreens I had while being in good position in the last weeks).

For the X-th (5th?) time in the last weeks the computer played tricks on me.
Got bluescreen, while being the first to turn tp1 (and one out of 2 on server at that time) and climbing dynamically at Parc de Cur at 2200m in 3m lift (got an IGC on my PDA to prove it).

I wasted about 5 races in past 2 months because of computer problems and I was really frustrated, as I was working my ass off to finish this race. I already commented this while talking to "41" on the server.

So I flew again on 21:45 server and went the same route, luckily no bluescreen and managed to finish the task as planned (not like I'd went wrong route on first flight and then did something else on relight).

If I wanted to hide something, I'd take care to start at the same time as before. I deliberately started at other time, so that no-one could say I'd know the conditions on track.

I dont know if its a mistake, more an act out of frustration with my computer problems. :?
And if I could finish my first flight, the result would be the same I guess.

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:11 pm

Dear Tadej!

If you have computer problems so often, you should do something about it. In order to avoid bluescreens and unscheduled disconnections I check my computer from time to time for its reliability.

If I crash or land enroute I do a refly, as time permitting. I think it is a good idea to do that online together with friends. But mostely I do it offline as a training just for myself. Therafter I compare my result with the raceday results to check my performance.

BUT: Never ever I would fly a task twice within the competition as we all know that is against the rules. Uploading the IGC and earning the 1000 points has a really strange taste. Are you happy now?

As you are currently No.4 in the SBC 2008 a lot of questions are coming up in my mind. The most important one is: How did you reach such a good overall result?

It might sound very hard to you, but for your action, you should be removed from the competition. You should have known better about that very very sensitive topic.

Regards,

FL

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 pm

Ok ... I do understand your frustration, and the sequence of problems (out of your control) that push you to take another start on the same task !
... but nevertheless, as we are sometime more than 150 competitors on a same SBC08 raceday, you can easily imagine that if every pilot with technical problems would do the same ... it would be completly unmanageable ! :shock:

As you know, it is said in the crash rule that, in case of technical pb after an official RaceStart of the pilot, the status of this pilot stays at R for "Racing" and he is considered as crashed (if he cannot upload a valid IGC file) !
... knowing the fact that 4 crashs may occur before being penalised, it seems to be rather fairplay ... !

Sorry for that, that's just my two cents. :mrgreen: :roll:

But anyway, well done for your brilliant path on that track ! :o 8) :!:
We all know that you are perfectly capable of that result in race but as you know ... Rules are the same for everybody ...

PS.: As you may already know, usually pb of bluescreen in Condor have technical reasons only dependant of your own computer configuration, not Condor itself. Investigations must be made in that direction ... without blaming Condor. In 2 years and a half of intensive use of Condor (which was installed on 3 completly different PC) I only had one Bluescreen !
ImageImage

LEAN

Post by LEAN » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:24 pm

2.3. Refly

Every pilot is allowed to fly a task only one time, reflying the task will be punished with exclusion from the competition.

No matter what is the problem and even you don't got an advantage ...

So ... you are out of law ...

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I know this one was not Condor related, as I got windows bluescreen (in 50% cases its Condor bluescreen, which produces LastTrack.ftr, whereas windows bluescreen doesnt). I removed 2Gb of RAM from the system few weeks back which cured the problem a bit, but still occasionally I get this crap.

bagger

Post by bagger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

cruiser wrote: And if I could finish my first flight, the result would be the same I guess.
Really??

After disconection you were in this situation:

8 Racing Tadej.Krevh TK S5-3051 ASW27 67.8 km 01:00:31 67.2 km/h 1.0 p 268.9 p 0

No water.

In the second flight you were on 94 km after one hour :?

Look on fairplay behavior:

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... ge&start=0
Yesterday I flew on 19:45 server and on first leg collied with another
glider. My wing broke and as we have the "repair after collision" option,
I pressed "Q" button immediately, but it didnt't work.

My plane fell down while I was pressing Q serveral times and finally
crashed on the ground (yep, keyboard was ok). As this was a collision
and not a real crash or outlanding caused by me I felt eligible to restart
on another server.

So I restarted on a 20:45 server and had a nice flight, especially on the
second half and finish I was lucky to use nice (last) thermals. Directly
after uploading I informed SBC Team about the issue. Today I decide to
let remove my flight, because I could took advantage of knowing the task
and its first thermals oncourse which maybe leads to my win.

Beside that I really enjoyed the task, it was great fun to fly it!

Have fun,
Martin PY

Tadej be fair and remove a flight.
Pozdrawiam, Jarek

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm

You are right, I apologize. I wrote to Stefke to remove my flight.

I still think I would get around 1000pts if bluescreen didnt happen.
I need to sort out my computer problems, and that is not your problem.

But its frustrating as hell, as these computer problems usually happen on my best flights :evil:

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:40 pm

That's a shame Tadej as we all know that you are a good pilot. Give your box a good kicking and sort it out. :D
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

Krejca

Post by Krejca » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:12 pm

cruiser wrote:You are right, I apologize. I wrote to Stefke to remove my flight.

I still think I would get around 1000pts if bluescreen didnt happen.
I need to sort out my computer problems, and that is not your problem.

But its frustrating as hell, as these computer problems usually happen on my best flights :evil:
Try to format the disk and reinstall all. Nothing other can help if you have these big problems.
"Fly fast, live slow"

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Its relatively new computer and I have the problems ever since. But these problems only occur once in a while, so they're hard to track down.

Will try to replace the RAM under warranty and see what happens...

bagger

Post by bagger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:23 am

cruiser wrote:You are right, I apologize. I wrote to Stefke to remove my flight.
Thank you and please don't do it again.
Pozdrawiam, Jarek

MoWa

Post by MoWa » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:42 pm

bagger wrote:
Thank you and please don't do it again.
Obviously breaking the rules can't scare many people, if it wasn't for my relatively good moral, I'd start doing it too :)

Interesting:

Case: Pilot gets 5 BSOD's and no lastflight track is saved
Punishment: 500 points deducted from OVERALL score, total change in chances to get a good final overall position.

Case: Pilot breaks rules (the part in the rules that also says the punishment will be exclusion from the competition) and someone finds out.
Punishment: 500 points deducted from the DAY score, or in TK case, flight just gives 0 points, same result as people just not flying that day, or crashing.

Conclusion: hardware problems is really bad for you, breaking rules is not really a big thing.

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:46 pm

TK, I know the frustration well to be stopped by nasty computer problems :|

Had 8 races followed by stuttering and with suddenly occurring events like spinning into ground or bluescreens
with new hardware. Lost a top position a few seconds before finishing because of a BS..I am lucky that my table was
stable enough to stand my rage :twisted:

Reinstalled Condor, its patches and landscapes 4(!) times and now it seems that the problems are gone (XP SP3,
in Vista it is still unstable). Reduced view distance back to medium although I have usually 120-150fps,
I suspect this setting could cause that stuttering flying online.
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!