Silver Badge

Tasks database, etc.

Moderator: BOD1

Olympia

Silver Badge

Post by Olympia » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:55 pm

I flew this exam today and I would like to say how much I enjoyed it. Realism 9/10 I think. The task was set rather cleverly to test your ability to scratch away from a lowish launch to the height needed to set off. The cloudbase was just right to make careful inter-thermal flying essential. And since it was set in the K13, the goal was well marked to make the navigation fairer and less a matter of chance than some recent K13 tasks. Well done, the task setter. The whole thing reminded me strongly of my RL Silver cross country which took almost exactly the same time as in Condor. 8)
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:09 am

:oops:
Thanks! maybe it's because I got my silver badge on K6? But I got less luck on Gold badge task, it's less realistic...
The diamond one is far better (my opinion). I've to develop a new task for gold badge, based on pure thermal with no ridge at all, but it'll be hard for the 3000m height gain!
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:11 pm

Would it be possible for someone to host the Silver Badge task flight on their server for me to join and maybe try and start and complete the task, I would like to check if there is a problem with the file I'm trying to host myself, also I have tried this off line as well but unable to start the task.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:02 pm

When flying the Silver Badge Flights, the time to race is set at 1 min and the time window open is set to zero mins, is this correct, when starting the Silver Tow task the tug tows you to a height of 1200m which is 500m above the ground, but the initial start of the tow with only 1 min to the start of the race or task and zero min set for the time window, this is not possible to start, the fpl files have been downloaded and the flight parameters ahve not been changed, could this maybe why I have been having difficulty in starting these tasks.

Any help here will be welcome.

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi ASH33M,

You can take off whenever you want, even if the countdown is over. You have to start only after the 3 bips and after the message "Race is ON!" is displayed, like every other tasks.
Then, you go near the TP, on the west side (study carrefully the flight plan, you will see the cone!), look at your left wing, base of TP must be near your wing, press S; like every other ask13 tasks.

Thierry

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi BOD1,

Yes the "Race is ON" does show, if you look at the screenshot and once I had released I completed a 360 degree circle just to show within the screenshot where my release point was, I then headed to the start, the flag pole was yellow and red and did not change, I past through the center of the pole and continued along what I thought was the task track for a short period, looking at my flight path I would expect the race to start but is not for some reason, can you take anything from the screenshot that I have posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:31 pm

Hmmm. I had endless bother with this 'classic' start in the K13. My mistake was that often my picture was not taken when I was INSIDE the green sector. Your screen shot is not easy to interpret but it looks like you were not in the sector when you pressed 's'. A tip: I transferred 's' to the lefthand little button on the top of my FFB2 joystick so that I didn't have to take my eyes off the pole when taking the picture. Success rates after that move were 100%.
HTH
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:16 pm

Hm, it is not clear from your track that a left turn was made in the sector to start.

I have modified your track a little as to how I think a correct start should look, assuming I have got the direction of flight (indicated by light blue arrow) correct.

Good luck, I hope you can get this sorted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thermal

Post by thermal » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:45 pm

ASH33M wrote:... I then headed to the start, the flag pole was yellow and red and did not change, I past through the center of the pole and continued along what I thought was the task track for a short period, looking at my flight path I would expect the race to start ......
I think you're missing the point, taking a start photo, completely.
Contrary to the "normal" tasks, with the ASK13 class (or any class where the PDA has been removed) the task does not start automatically when you pass the start line.

Like in old times, you have to take a picture with your virtual turnpoint camera of the bottom of the start pole.
The procedure is described by Olympia and BOD1 above.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

thermal

Post by thermal » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Here is the link to a video how it is done.

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=4487
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:52 am

I have finally managed to complete the Silver Badge Flight, why I was not able to start this task before I'm not sure, even though I had been taking screenshots at the start and thinking I was in the correct place maybe this was not the case.

The flight track has been uploaded and verfied, I have tried the task many more times and have started without any problems at all.

For all who have posted comments here.

Thank You.
Last edited by ASH33M on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:43 am

:D

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 am

Congrats!!

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 am

Thank you, completed my RL Silver Badge in 1982.

ASH33M

Post by ASH33M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:04 pm

Another question if I may, where your badge is displayed depending on what badge flights you have qualified for, below there is additional information for Duration, Altitude and Distance, at what point is this information displayed, I have uploaded 1 fpl file which has displayed the correct information.