Condor badge idea ?

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

MosGuy

Condor badge idea ?

Post by MosGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:21 am

Hey gang,

After doing all the diamond requirements in Condor the other day. I thought it would be cool to have a set of badges which people could display in their forum signatures. I've finished modding the official FAI badges. I'm thinking we could have either: a system similar to RL where flight plans are used and at each turn point taking a screenshot, barograph along with a snap of the logbook entry then it's e-mailed for verification. OR option B just use the honour system. Or perhaps somewhere inbetween the two.

So far I have: silver,gold, 3 diamond & 1000k diamond badges. I might attempt to have 1&2 diamond badges as well. Since each goal is usually done in stages unlike me getting all three at once (which was very hard!). Having separate diamonds will take a little more time to complete though. I could also make A, B and Bronze badges as well if anyone can provide graphics. Anyway here are samples of the badges. Feel free to post feedback if you think it's a good idea to have a badge system, or any other ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Blythin

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:49 am

I did a quick colour change, I think a red background looks better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Blythin

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:57 am

They're nice, but there is a problem for the lower badges: the weather... Higher badges (1000km and so on) are difficult with any weather...

Doing 300km in bad weather is far more difficult than on bombastic weather.

But it can be done with something like predefined tasks (maybe a DS) and posting on a site like Speedbattle.

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:28 am

Yes I agree it would take some planning if it's going to be organized in some way. I only got as far as the initial idea and creating the graphics. If the major would like a badge system then I don't mind working out the finer details. If there's not enough interest, I'll just have them for personal use to help modivate myself & push my skills :).
Rick Blythin

asw22pilot

Post by asw22pilot » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:21 am

Badges.....

We don't need no stinking badges!!!!

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:17 am

asw22pilot wrote:Badges.....

I think, that it is good idea with official "jury" or automatic evaluation in Condor, I have 2 "diamands" now.

Asw22pilot - if "stinking" is a not very decent word (as I found in dictionary), be so kind and do not use this ones here. It is your opinion, it is OK, but we do not like no-courtesy here... :twisted: (sorry, if I understood you wrong)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:04 pm

i did this

500km 1000km *350km*

alt record by me is 10500m with 40km/h wind

and a Unreal record is 450000m

What Medals are for me then? :)
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Cadfael wrote:Asw22pilot - if "stinking" is a not very decent word (as I found in dictionary), be so kind and do not use this ones here. It is your opinion, it is OK, but we do not like no-courtesy here... :twisted: (sorry, if I understood you wrong)
You understood well Cadfael, I agree with you.

Otherwise I will post my ideas on badge soon.

MosGuy

Post by MosGuy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:22 pm

JJJ J,Jennen wrote:i did this

500km 1000km *350km*

alt record by me is 10500m with 40km/h wind

and a Unreal record is 450000m

What Medals are for me then? :)
It depends, most badges have multiple requirements: http://www.fai.org/gliding/sc3.2.1 , I think with silver and gold you need to complete all goals before you get a badge. The exception being diamond as you complete each goal you gain a single diamond to put on your badge. Of course I may be wrong I'm not overly familar with how the system works :).

Unreal record: gets you a free cruise into space on the shuttle by NASA :lol:
Rick Blythin

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Hey Mosguy how can i get that medal(s) in my Signature
CN: JJJ
REG: D-1688

ImageImage

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:37 pm

Good idea Rick,

This has been discussed before but it's good to bring this back again :

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... ght=helper

Also check those icon in Wiktor's forum :

http://www.gliderracing.com/forum/defau ... posts&t=64

They are small and pretty Imho for a forum signature.

I'll bring some more info on Condor badge soon.

Frank Weston

Post by Frank Weston » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:33 pm

I, for one, recognize the quote and appreciate the humor.

For the information of non-native English speakers, "stinking" when used in this context means bad or worthless. It's not a particularly impolite word.

Check out the recruiting scene from the movie "Blazing Saddles", then you'll understand more.

BTW, If you kick my butt in a race, you won't need a badge to tell me how good you are.

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:13 pm

All right, then my apologies to asw22pilot :)

mac

Post by mac » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:36 pm

I think badges are a good ideas. The bkground colour proposed aren't really the most exciting (to me)... I would prefer an extra grphical sign (e.g. a Condor) and official FAI colours... but this is minor thing: I appreciate a lot MosGuy idea.

For me the nicest way to get them would be to have "official servers" (like the one of speedbattle), with automatic or human-done awarding based on log and IGCs.

On official servers I would have standard tasks but random weather, to avoid both boredom in various try, both "cheating via memorising".

One could even think to have a register fo those who achieved the awards, like for higher badges in RL.

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:36 pm

Frank Weston wrote:

For the information of non-native English speakers, "stinking" when used in this context means bad or worthless. It's not a particularly impolite word.
Than its OK. I wrote "IF"... because sometimes is really hard to understand.. Then also my apology to ASW22pilot, but some "members" here try to use antagonistic strain and I really do not like it, I look up to very high standard of this community and I want keep it to the future :)