Copyright images on skins.

Moderator: BOD1

kabouter_plons

Copyright images on skins.

Post by kabouter_plons » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:35 pm

I have made skins for my own use. For this I used images that I picked from Google. I'm considering sharing it with the Condor Club but wondering if that's legal. It is not for commercial use but of course I have used images from others....

Does anyone have any (legal?) advice on this?

Tnx,
Fer

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Copyright images on skins.

Post by EDB » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Commercial or non-commercial... The best way to go is contact the owner. If he doesn't want you to use them / share them, then don't.

This is the Condor forum. Not a forum for or with lawyers.

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm

Some countries copyright laws include fair-use clauses that are fairly lenient and might permit inclusion of a copyrighted image in a glider skin hosted on Condor Club, but the problem is the copyright owner could still argue it's illegal which would require a court to determine if it's actually fair use or not. And as it'd very likely end up being international copyright law, good luck with that. ;)

kabouter_plons

Post by kabouter_plons » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. I regularly see a glider (EB29R? Tim Kielstrup) on Youtube with a LEGO and YOUTUBE logo. He may have gone down that road, but I don't think it's worth putting so much effort into it. After all, it's just a hobby and primarily for personal use....

Fer

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Contact him via Condor.club...
His CN is TKM.

But you are talking about his skin. If he hasn't uploaded it to cc as a goodie he probably doesn't want to share it.

And he should be careful in using Logos from companies. Maybe he really is sponsored..? If not, then he is taking a risk.

Most companies and Organisations don't want people to use their logos.