OpenXR Now That Oculus Requires Facebook Account?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Kessa

Re: OpenXR Now That Oculus Requires Facebook Account?

Post by Kessa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:45 pm

I have already said we will be doing this, posting more requests won't affect it. Please remember that VR users are < 20% of Condor users, and probably much less than that.
Great to hear that VR support will be improved at some point. :)

For what it’s worth, just thought I’d mention that the <20% stat mentioned above could be a bit misleading as to the true size of the need as (I suspect) there may be plenty of users who WANT to use Condor VR... but who are waiting for the openXR support to be added first.

This would be true, both for existing Condor users and potential new customers who are waiting for this to be added before purchasing.
Condor Competition ID - TK2

Gunth3r

Post by Gunth3r » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:50 am

"VR users are < 20% of Condor users" This suggests to me that 80% of Condor users are REALLY missing out. 8)

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Tue May 18, 2021 2:56 am

Back for my regular 2-3 month "Can I fly Condor now?" check-in. :D

Condor is already great at simulating gliding and having plenty of gliders, so please prioritize de-Facebooking Condor amongst all the cool things you are planning.

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:07 am

More and more people are switching from Whatsapp to Signal or Threema these days, to get rid of their facebook stuff and Mr. Zuckerbergs doings.

So it seems to be time for Condor2 to give their users some alternatives to Oculus, with an easy to handling setup.

My HP Reverb G2 (WMR) works very well so far - also with Condor2 now - but every other of my sims and games were MUCH easier to configure in VR. You surely would do your great sim a favour in implementing an easy setup soon, for the "normal" simmer who don´t want to hand of his whole adressbook and a lot more personal information to Facebook and Mr. Zuckerberg.

Just my 2c

NaderFam

Post by NaderFam » Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 pm

https://flightsim.to/file/6768/discus-2b-glider

Is MS wealthy enough to develop a powerful aerodynamic and robust atmospheric engine? I hear they are. But I prefer Condor to have an open platform VR. Not jumping yet, but I will have a chance to try MSFS at an experienced pilot friend sometime in June.

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat May 22, 2021 9:46 am

NaderFam wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 pm
https://flightsim.to/file/6768/discus-2b-glider

Is MS wealthy enough to develop a powerful aerodynamic and robust atmospheric engine? I hear they are. But I prefer Condor to have an open platform VR. Not jumping yet, but I will have a chance to try MSFS at an experienced pilot friend sometime in June.
No thermals and no wave in MSFS. Only ridgelift which at the moment is "capped" to a maximum updraft strenght to not scare casual flyers. The flightmodel is also incorrect. You will always get a better glide ratio with more negative flaps no matter what speed. Only the stall speed increases slightly. For now it is pretty useless for gliding.

The Discus model is not very accurate either... I'll stick with Condor for gliding. MSFS is fun for buzzing around in cessna's though, very pretty graphics, but not much else.
PH-1504, KOE

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sat May 29, 2021 11:01 pm

One more vote for getting away from Oculus. I loath Facebook and will go without VR rather than buy into their abuse of their supposed customers.

Mas

Post by Mas » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:15 am

So basically according to the chart Oculus headsets account for nearly 50% of all VR use on Steam of all the other weird and wonderful headsets that are available.

Anybody being put off from playing Condor natively and wirelessly with the $299 Oculus Quest 2 by the scare stories about Facebook bricking your headset should bear in mind that if you are a legitimate user with a single legitimate FB account , you will be fine . If you don't have a FB account , and that would be rare these days , just start up a basic account and let it settle for a few weeks before buying your headset .

It is 100% likely that if there is any issue with starting your account and getting deactivated , it will be at start up, and initiated by bots as you might look like a fake account. There were a few issues in the early days of Quest 2 release , but Oculus can reactive an account pretty quickly if there has been any mistakes .
It will be great when there is some native Open XR suppport for all the non Oculus owners , but there is no good reason not to be using Oculus for Condor VR right now , particularly as the entry point at $299 USD is phenomenally good.

Post by 6266 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:12 am

You can't play Condor natively with Oculus Quest 2 and Facebook, you only can do it naively.

Paying 299 USD for that is very expensive, because you are paying with your data too. It would be too expensive for nothing.

I survived without VR more than 50 years now. But if I would try it in future, I would never do it via Facebook. Never!

My 5 cent to that, sorry, had to write it ...
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 am

Without going into where Facebook might be on the good-vs-evil axis, there's another issue when using an Oculus headset.

Specifically, using an Oculus headset requires the user to have a Facebook account, which is required to be an account linked to a specific real person.

However, a business or club that might want to offer a VR setup to allow using Condor for perhaps instructional use does not really have a specific person to whom such an account could be easily linked.

Setting up a shared 'simulator user' account would not work: the terms and conditions for Facebook accounts don't allow sharing a Facebook account among different people, which a shared simulator setup would arguably do; plus any a 'simulator user' account one might set up would not actually belong to a single person, so would again run afoul of the T&Cs for Facebook accounts.

And while there is an "Oculus for Business" thing about managing deployments of Oculus Quest (1 or 2) headsets without the consumer software, using Oculus Link (such as for Condor) still requires using the Oculus Software on the PC with an Oculus/Facebook account, so that does not alas avoid the issue.

So while I've personally made the decision to let Facebook have some of my data and use an Oculus Quest headset, if I wanted to set something similar up that was going to be shared among a group, such as for a club, then I can't really do that.

Using a different headset through Revive and SteamVR and/or Windows Mixed Reality - such as the HP Reverb G2 - with the necessary workarounds will probably work, but all those workarounds make for a much less pleasant and usable experience than if Condor supported OpenXR and thus could be used with SteamVR and WMR headsets more directly, without Revive and/or SteamVR translation layers in between.

So if Condor were able to run on other VR runtimes than just the Oculus one, that would allow more than just individual users of Condor to use VR easily and reliably - because it would decouple Condor from relying on Facebook for VR support, with all of Facebook's terms and conditions.

OpenXR allows just that: a single API that would allow Condor to run on any of the three main VR platforms, Oculus/Facebook, SteamVR, and Windows Mixed Reality.

Just to reiterate: this isn't just about individual users wanting to use different headsets. Currently, a group or slub or business that wanted to offer a VR Condor experience, can't do that using Oculus headsets, and thus would have to rely on workarounds (Revive and such) that may or may not continue to function; supporting OpenXR would make such a setup not just 'currently possible', but actually viable long-term.

So, please do reconsider adding OpenXR support to Condor, or even replacing Oculus VR support with OpenXR support - since OpenXR also supports Oculus headsets.

Best wishes,

// Christian Brunschen

MarkoM

Post by MarkoM » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:08 pm

I've bought the HP Reverb G2 because of the image quality and no Facebook requirement. It would be realy nice if condor would get the OpenXR suport so non Oculus Quest/Facebook users could enjoy flying in VR.

Mas

Post by Mas » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:40 pm

6266 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:12 am
Paying 299 USD for that is very expensive, because you are paying with your data too. It would be too expensive for nothing.

I survived without VR more than 50 years now. But if I would try it in future, I would never do it via Facebook. Never!

My 5 cent to that, sorry, had to write it ...
No one actually cares .

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:07 pm

IMHO, you can also survive with a facebook account, and enjoy VR!

I took a facebook acount more than 10 years ago, to join my friends and my family all around the world.

Yes, via Facebook, Google etc.. ,dozen of advertising are sent to me every years, but I am fully advertising-proof, so they lost their time.

And it'is so easy to ban an Email adress!

Good flight to the survivors! 8)
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Xavier wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:07 pm
IMHO, you can also survive with a facebook account, and enjoy VR!
IMHO, you can also survive WITHOUT a facebook account, and enjoy life - and VR ;-)

The problem is, that so many people think, that without WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, survival in real life is impossible.
Many people, including me, have no problem with advertising. Many people have no problem to give away "some" information about them. But also many people are not willing to give away their whole adressbook and more to Facebook/Whatsapp/Oculus.
Because with accepting the terms of use of the Zuckerberg companys you underwrite that you have the right to give it away for nearly any usage, maybe an adressbook with the adresses of many people who trust in you, not to do so.
So for many people it is at the edge of coercion what the Zuckerberg Company does with its terms of use, especially with the Occulus terms.

So I wonder why a great sim like Condor indirectly supports Occulus any longer, by not providing an easy to use alternative like WMR or OpenXR, especially since the Forced-Facebook-Account-Issue, lasting nearly one year long now.

I hope so much that the Condor Team is working at it...

Rix71

Post by Rix71 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:26 pm

I stopped flying Condor when I upgraded from a Rift S to a Reverb G2 last fall. It's a pity because the VR experience with Condor was excellent with the Rift S. However, I am not going to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the headset working in the sim (and not fully functional seeing as AA doesn't work through revive). Once we have OpenXR native support, I'll be back.