Use of autopilot in competitions

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

vydasg

Use of autopilot in competitions

Post by vydasg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi all.

From some live streams, I noticed that some of the pilots are using autopilot a lot. ( during almost all transitions from thermal to thermal ). For me, it seems slightly unrealistic and unfair to others. With a push of a button, you make perfect transitions with no additional drag of your natural inputs.

To be clear, I respect all pilots, and my goal is not to offend anyone. I just want to hear your thoughts on this feature and if you think it is ok to use it on the transitions during competitions?

Re: Use of autopilot in competitions

Post by 6266 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm

I agree absolut. If you fly offline, P is pause, so you fly all the way by hand, but online P is autopilot. I will not use it because I think like you that it's not like the reality. On the other hand if you fly online and you have to leave for a moment, you need a possibility to do it.

I see two possibilities for a wishlist to the system

1. Allow in the task only a number of autopilot usings, f.ex. 3 or 5 times clicking P, that should be enough for a fast sprint to the toilet

2. Using autopilot is not so good than flying by hand, maybe like gear out or spoilers a little bit. So it can be used in an "emergency situation", but not for flying better than manuell
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm

6266 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm
Using autopilot is not so good than flying by hand

It is already. Believe me. :)
Autopilot can be set for static speed, while flying your own, you can react for 'air masses' on your way, what is (can be) much more effective.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 pm

Also it doesn't always hold heading and skids slightly sometimes
PH-1504, KOE

Post by 6266 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 pm

Pit_R wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:53 pm
It is already. Believe me. :)
So than it's like nearly all in Condor quite perfect

Litt strange, that some of the good ones using it. Maybe they will give the others a chance to win too ;-)
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Crakob

Post by Crakob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 pm

This has already been discussed before.
CRAKOB = CRA

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Crakob wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 pm
This has already been discussed before.
... as many many other topics, such as the back seat pilot, etc.

The search function works perfectly on this forum, but apparently very few people are aware of that :roll:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

vydasg

Post by vydasg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks all for your thoughts. I could not find the previous discussion, sorry.

Honestly, I struggle to accept it as a feature of transitioning. Firstly, why this feature is only possible while flying online? If Autopilot is a genuine tool to fly from point A to point B automatically, it should also be available while flying offline.

Also, some of you say that Autopilot is far from perfect, and thus using the feature gives you no advantage in competition flying. For me, even the fact that you can forget controls for a minute or two and focus on the next move seems advantageous. Furthermore, some pilots are using it for all their transitions, spending hours on Autopilot, and manage to win competitions.

Sorry for this reply, but if it's a gliding simulator, why it has this transitioning feature that has nothing to do with reality available exclusively in online competition flying.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Online you cannot pause so the best option you have to run to take use the bathroom is autopilot. Naturally there are some pilots that over use this function. I'm one that likes to fly the glider so other than the bathroom dash I rarely use it.

Offline no one else is affected thus P pauses rather than autopilot function.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Filgueiras

Post by Filgueiras » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 pm

vydasg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Honestly, I struggle to accept it as a feature of transitioning. Firstly, why this feature is only possible while flying online? If Autopilot is a genuine tool to fly from point A to point B automatically, it should also be available while flying offline.
At first, I'm a student pilot, in RL. So, I value Condor as a learning tool ( my home club is *very* far away from home, I can go there only once and then :( ). Great to train towing, landing, thermaling... you know. After a while, I've found the online competitions, as a way to learn navigation - useful in the future, I hope not much far :mrgreen: .
I use autopilot, on line. One item of my wishlist is have it allowed offline too. Using a simulator, I can't attach myself " emotionally" to to flight, as it happens in real life. So, it's boring to pilot during long glides, and autopilot allows me to pay attention in the scenery, in eventual traffic, things like that, while maintaining speed with trim, and direction with the pedals. This is what autopilot does.

vydasg

Post by vydasg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:10 pm

I imagine it's really hard to "connect" to the simulator while half of the time you don't need to do anything and yet you fly perfectly straight.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 am

Filgueiras wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:02 pm
At first, I'm a student pilot, in RL. So, I value Condor as a learning tool ( my home club is *very* far away from home, I can go there only once and then :( ). Great to train towing, landing, thermaling... you know. After a while, I've found the online competitions, as a way to learn navigation - useful in the future, I hope not much far :mrgreen: .
I use autopilot, on line. One item of my wishlist is have it allowed offline too. Using a simulator, I can't attach myself " emotionally" to to flight, as it happens in real life. So, it's boring to pilot during long glides, and autopilot allows me to pay attention in the scenery, in eventual traffic, things like that, while maintaining speed with trim, and direction with the pedals. This is what autopilot does.
One thing to remember is in RL there is no autopilot! you have to be flying the glider 100% of the time, it's all about the trim :mrgreen: I think it helps flying in Condor using a head tracker or VR when it comes to maintaining a constant attitude when not using autopilot. These also enable you to keep a decent look out for traffic whilst flying in a gaggle. Something else to consider is if the sky has a lot of active thermals flying in a straight line will not necessarily be the best path to follow. Underneath each of those CU is free energy that can be used to gain height or speed. Granted between each thermal autopilot can be used.

Good to see you're enjoying Condor though, it can be very useful as a training tool, just try not to pick up too many bad habits :wink: :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Bravo Zulu

Post by Bravo Zulu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Considering all of the factors involved in flying tasks for contests, such as thermalling effectively, selecting speed to fly, decisions on the route of flight, and cloud selection, do you all think autopilot is the deciding factor in winning?

vydasg

Post by vydasg » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:34 pm

It's surely not a deciding factor. However, it lets you focus more on decision making and makes it less interrupted. Furthermore, straight lines are always shorter than curved ones and I do think that during long transitions it gives you a little extra. It's a competition game and it should not have a "secret" method to forget controls on your transitions (it was created for an absolutely different reason). It's unfair and totally unnatural. Flying as straight as possible and making decisions at the same time is also a skill.

Why for some guys it's totally fine to use a "toilet" feature for half of their flight?

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:37 pm

I like the autopilot / pause options like they are now.