Which Condor2 planes are best equivalents to ...?

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Dominie

Which Condor2 planes are best equivalents to ...?

Post by Dominie » Sat May 05, 2018 10:42 am

Hi all,

(Apologies if this is the wrong board to post on - feel free to move).

I bought Condor 2 as I have a couple of months until I start a beginners course to solo. Down here in SE Queensland there are only a couple of clubs which I can reach, so I expect to train first in an SZD50 before joining a club with an Ask-21. I've been reading the PDFs of their flight manuals and wanted to try to get a feel for procedures and checklists etc. before I start.

I know there is an Ask-21 on the way, but what would be the closest equivalent in Condor 2 to the SZD50?

Kind Regards

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Which Condor2 planes are best equivalents to ...?

Post by EDB » Sat May 05, 2018 3:17 pm

The Blanik.
The SZD50 is a little bit better, but they are both used for training. Both are two-seaters.

Dominie

Post by Dominie » Sat May 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks for that. I'll get started now then.

zinuzoid

Post by zinuzoid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 pm

I have a similar question but with the SZD-51 "Junior".
Any suggestion which one would be best equivalents to?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Something in the Club Class. Maybe the Standard Cirrus without balast? Although the Standard Cirrus is a little bit better performer... It is also way more trickier to fly close to it's limits. It has a pendular elevator that has to be used with care. Countering a spin is tricky and should only be done as the manual says... The Junior is a more easier and forgiving glider to fly...

I have flown the Junior myself. I always found the aileron and pitch control to be too indirect. As if it had springs in the controls... Very light and you really feel the springs from the trim. It was my first plastic glider after the ASK13.

ADDED:
Maybe also check out the Libelle H201B. It has almost the same performance as the Std Cirrus, but it is a bit easier in spins. Although it's Vne is higher @ 250kmh. For the other two Vne is 220kmh.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:44 pm

The ASK-21 without second pilot has one index point more than SZD-51 Junior.
However, the 21 is nicer to fly because it's more agile.

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:12 am

Sorry to drag an old thread up, but I thought this would be the best place to ask. I have a Phoebus and am wondering what would be the closest performing glider in Condor, especially with feel and behavior. Specs on the Phoebus are Vne of 108kt, min sink at 43kt, stall speed 31kt, and best L/D 37/1 at 46kt. It has a rather large all-flying elevator (stabilator) and is very pitch sensitive. In fact, all control surfaces are very effective and sensitive. Thanks.

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am

Probably the Cirrus. Although it performs a bit better than a Phoebus
PH-1504, KOE