Budget rudder pedals

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Smithers-1968

Budget rudder pedals

Post by Smithers-1968 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an entry level set of rudder pedals. But I'm into Rally sims so already have a set of G29 racing pedals, which I map the clutch and throttle for rudder using UJR. Works OK although they're not mechanically linked.

Just wondering if something like Logitech G Saitek or Thrustmaster TFRP T-flight would be a worthwhile upgrade, if only for a more natural feel?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Budget rudder pedals

Post by EDB » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:33 pm

No.

Kandiru

Post by Kandiru » Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 pm

I would not skim on rudder pedals or give up on the MSFF2 force feedback, I wish they made a FF pedal set, it would be so nice to feel the crosswinds in your feet.

These are superb, from Hrvatska, Milan does an amazing job, I am so PD'd that I cannot program a zoom axis into the left toe break axis, that helped me a lot in IL-2 Sturmovik.

Milan Flight Gear Crosswind 2, I have the MSFF2 between my legs though:

https://mfg-sim.com/en/rudders/1-mfg-cr ... phite.html

As an added bonus, this product from Polska has predrilled holes to accepts them, just the best flight console:

Wheel Stand Pro, pic with the MFGs mounted:
https://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/ ... 52-pro-x65

I also have an Ergotron wall monitor mount arm for my 42" TrackIR5 curvie setup, that way I can maneuver it at will:

Stef3m

Post by Stef3m » Sat May 23, 2020 11:11 pm

Smithers-1968 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an entry level set of rudder pedals. But I'm into Rally sims so already have a set of G29 racing pedals, which I map the clutch and throttle for rudder using UJR. Works OK although they're not mechanically linked.

Just wondering if something like Logitech G Saitek or Thrustmaster TFRP T-flight would be a worthwhile upgrade, if only for a more natural feel?
I did try drive pedals too just to see, well conscious of the fact that are terrible before buying a pair of rudder pedals.
They make a tremendous difference, even the cheapest one are way better, my suggestion is to buy a pair if you interesting in flight sim, they really give you another dimension :D

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm

I did actually buy a set of Logitech/Saitek ones 2 months ago. Very worthwhile £110

Stef3m

Post by Stef3m » Wed May 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Smithers-1968 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm
I did actually buy a set of Logitech/Saitek ones 2 months ago. Very worthwhile £110
They aren't needed but make a lot of difference in what and how you can do

Crakob

Post by Crakob » Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Well, you asked for budget pedals.

... But when looking for pedals that are close to the real ones, regarding the motion.
(i didn't like the thrustmasters (sliding back and forth) neither the ones which rotating more or less horizontal)

so i ended up with the VKB T-Rudder-Pedals. Quite a price-tag but worth every cent.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CRAKOB = CRA

mhs

Re: Budget rudder pedals (Extreme budget)

Post by mhs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Having seen the reviews of commercial rudder pedals I decided to try my own
version. Cost of the pedals was around 7GBP, 2 ball-races, Allegro a1301 hall sensor, some
small magnets and 20GBP for a BU0836 interface (which now also hosts a home made stick).
Rest of the materials from off-cut pile and rummage box, less than 2 hours to build, so far flown
around 30,000Km over 18 months without problem. Stick took a little longer and around 20GBP
but has none of the centre notch or dead band present on some low range commercial offerings.
Work in progress is mark 2 version with cockpit style seat and force feedback using direct drive magnetic
motors.
P1000708b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Here's my budget rudder pedals... bought Aeronca Champ pedals on ebay and cobbled them together with some pushrods and some light fabrication. I bashed a board out of a Logitech Attack III joy in 2008 and they still work fine

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:07 pm

I've started work on a budget set of bottom hinged pedals. First prototype is below. Using steel rod and slotted bar as it is easy to work with and cheap! Need to add fronts to the pedals and then adjust them for a realistic range of movement and resistance.