This forum is awful

Moderators: Uros, OXO, BenFest

wtfhands

This forum is awful

Post by wtfhands » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Last edited by wtfhands on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soaruk

Re: Plane closest to Schweizer SGS 2-33a characteristics?

Post by soaruk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:16 am

I don't think Condor as a plane as bad as a 2-33a -in my book the absolute worst training glider I have ever flown - only citizens of the USA will support them - all should all be scrapped - a travesity of a design when compared with its contemporaries. Maybe the Granau 2b is the closest though.......

Bre901

Re: Plane closest to Schweizer SGS 2-33a characteristics?

Post by Bre901 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 am

soaruk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:16 am
[...] Maybe the Granau 2b is the closest though.......
IMHO, you are a too harsh when comparing it to the Grünau Baby which is a pre-war design.

Actually, if one looks at the Wikipedia page, one can read
At that time the single seat Schweizer SGS 1-26 was becoming very popular for one-design competition flying. The company realized that the new trainer should have similar performance to the 1-26, in order to be used as the 1-26's two seat transition trainer.
2-33 :
Maximum glide ratio: 22 at 52 mph (83 km/h) dual
Rate of sink: 187 ft/min (0.95 m/s) dual

1-26
Maximum glide ratio: 23 at 53 mph (84 km/h)
Rate of sink: 174 ft/min (0.88 m/s)

Need I say more ?

The 1-26 is probably more agile, if you want to have a two-seater feeling you could also use the Blanik with airbrakes partially deployed
It should not be very complicated to find out how much is needed with some trial an error :wink:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

soaruk

Re: This forum is awful

Post by soaruk » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Your quoting figures - have you actually flown them?

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 pm

soaruk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:35 pm
No, none of them, these figures come from Wikipedia.

Although I find the 1-26 fun to fly in Condor (unbeatable - except by the Swift - in "All" class "arcade" ridge races if there is no too much headwind), I don't think many people will miss the 2-33 if it it's not available in Condor: I don't remember seing our German friends requesting the Ka4 (aka Rhönstein), the Doppelraab or the Scheibe Specht ...
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:36 am

soaruk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:35 pm
I have and they fly nothing alike. It's like comparing a Volkswagon bug to a 1970's motorhome because they both go 55mph. 1-26 has very light controls that are very responsive, doesn't balloon that much on tow and a snappy roll rate and a lower sink. Also the controls tend not to have much slop in them. It's a fun ship to fly honestly.

2-33 is a slug that wants to balloon so bad it almost takes two hands on the stick pushing forward on tow to keep from killing the towpilot, the controls usually have huge amount of slop, the roll rate is slow as heck and one of my favorites -on a high crosswind takeoff or when picking up the wing solo you have to literally pass the stick under your knee and back (while lifting your foot off the pedal) to get enough aileron. On tow. Near the ground. Few if any have a functional trimmer either.

Blanik with the airbrakes cracked and some amount of flap and the trim all the way back and restricted pitch/roll would probably be closest but it's a luxury liner by comparison with semi supine seating and tight harmonized controls and a wide trim range and semi retractable gear and seats made for chutes. Takeoff/landing is very different though being a flapped taildragger with a good hook location. Doesn't matter though, op already took his ball and went home

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am

I think we have had enough of this. Locking topic.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team