sisu1a

Re: Triple Monitor support?

Post by sisu1a » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:38 pm
I think one is 12 inch, the other 13.

Front panel

Image\
I'm still working on integrating condor. We used to run Silentwings because of resolution restrictions in V1. Now I'm hard at work with V2. Still some software licenses to acquire for the screenwarping :lol:

This is the whole setup, still runing Silentwings here.

This is also still running silentwings. Here you can see our projection screen setup.

I know Brad Hawthorne from Nthusim and might be able to help out with software for warping/blending. Nthusim closed shop in 2016 due to VR making their business model obsolete but they were supporting it up till April 2018. I can hit him up if you're interested, and put you in contact with him if it turns out he can help. Otherwise there seems to be other solutions out there as well.

Neat pit, what kind of efforts were put into replicating the kinematics of the controls?

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm

We have a good relationship with FlyEliseNG. We use their excellent warping software.

As for the controls. The original ASK21 control linkage is still under the seat. We attached bungees to the aileron bell cranks to center the stick. Fore-aft is done by the original ASK21 trim springs under the seat. Rudder also uses bungees attached to the control cables. The airbrakes is also the original linkage with a own design overcenter locking system and resistance is done by a gas-spring.

I am considering adding force feedback over the next winter. But a normal joystick force feedback motor won't do because the leverage from the controls is much bigger in a real glider than it is on a little table top joystick. We are still not sure how to do that. For normal "student pilot speeds" the springs and bungees are more than adequate simulating stickforces. It's only when you go above 130 kph that it feels unrealistic.
PH-1504, KOE

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 pm
Haha, thank Uros! You don't know how happy I am with multimonitor capability in condor :D
Damn, all those years we've worked on physics and stuff instead of multimonitor capability!
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm

wickid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm
We have a good relationship with FlyEliseNG. We use their excellent warping software.

As for the controls. The original ASK21 control linkage is still under the seat. We attached bungees to the aileron bell cranks to center the stick. Fore-aft is done by the original ASK21 trim springs under the seat. Rudder also uses bungees attached to the control cables. The airbrakes is also the original linkage with a own design overcenter locking system and resistance is done by a gas-spring.

I am considering adding force feedback over the next winter. But a normal joystick force feedback motor won't do because the leverage from the controls is much bigger in a real glider than it is on a little table top joystick. We are still not sure how to do that. For normal "student pilot speeds" the springs and bungees are more than adequate simulating stickforces. It's only when you go above 130 kph that it feels unrealistic.

Cool, all sensible solutions. For the stick, I have some FF solutions you might be interested in. My current project is gutting a MSFFII, and by changing some resistors/MOSFETs and adding some caps and my own psu I can drive motors at 400% the power (req fancy brushed dc motors with skewed armatures to prevent magnetic cogging). With my current motor selection and gear ratio my stick will be ~3.75Nm, strong enough to replicate forces from most normal modern ships at full lever length, which is typically 25cm in roll and 30cm in pitch.

I'm still gathering materials and will be posting about it soon along with my other parallel simpit projects, but have nearly everything but power transmission parts at this point. Going to use 2GT belt drive if I can get away with it, 3GT if it's not grippy enough but will abandon belt drive if the tactile pollution is too great and switch to shaft-winging techniques. For an overview of the basic hack itself though, I'm following a friend's recipe that documented it quite well, Roland van Roy and can be found here: http://www.simprojects.nl/ms_siderwinder_ff2_hack.htm

Beyond that I can't say much at this time, but have future plans to work out the hardware details on a collaboration project to make a commercially available FF stick that utilizes MS's DirectInput protocols (like MSFFII uses) so it will be plug-n-play with most sims. Motors will be brushless dc for that one. Back in Condor1 days I also worked out a scheme for a roll-your-own FF setup, but imo that's in the zone of diminishing returns so long as you can just bash a MSFFII to do the job better..

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Uros wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm
wickid wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 pm
Haha, thank Uros! You don't know how happy I am with multimonitor capability in condor :D
Damn, all those years we've worked on physics and stuff instead of multimonitor capability!
And it works! Even a real plane doesn't fly as realistic as condor :wink:

@sisu1a: First I like to get Condor 2 up and running on the sim. It's giving me headaches enough that I can't control the condor GUI with a keyboard. We don't have a mouse in our sim so I have to automate all of the mouseclicks. Next to this and some other projects and ofcourse RL flying I have enough on my plate. I'll worry about FFB in winter.
PH-1504, KOE

Martmers

K21 Cockpit

Post by Martmers » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi,
I'm very curious about the K21 cockpit you have. Where did you get that?
We have really struggled to find a glass front end for our simulator.
Thanks,
Scott

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 am

We bought a wreckage from segelflug.de. It needed some fixing up tough.
PH-1504, KOE

rcracedriver

Post by rcracedriver » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi, I've been playing Condor 2 using triple monitors and eyefinity. Is there a way to move the messages to the center monitor? Currently they are at the corners so I have to look all the way to the right or left.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:09 pm

there is! Just dont use eyefinity. Use condors own built in support for multi monitor. Not only will your text be on your center screen, you will also have no mad warping distortion on the side monitors.

ju980

Post by ju980 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks for all this comments...
I actually try to setup 3 screen (video projector) with condor 2, but the result is really strange, and absolutlly not like you.

what is your configuration ?
mine is :
GPU = XFX RX580 ( in condor 2 : monitor 1 = 0°, monitor 2 = -80°, monitor 3 = +80° )

wickid

Post by wickid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:16 pm

70 degrees for 210 total. But mine is wrap around. You cant do that with monitors. Try 60 degrees or so.

If you use 80 degrees the far left side of the left screen displays something that is 120 degrees away from the center. That is behind you in RL. But with monitors you have them in front of you so it will look weird.
PH-1504, KOE

jcenzano

Post by jcenzano » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:41 pm

ju980 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Thanks for all this comments...
I actually try to setup 3 screen (video projector) with condor 2, but the result is really strange, and absolutlly not like you.

what is your configuration ?
mine is :
GPU = XFX RX580 ( in condor 2 : monitor 1 = 0°, monitor 2 = -80°, monitor 3 = +80° )
Ji there,

I saw your comment on Youtube.

Please, check this post i have on another Multiple-Monitor Thread.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17633&p=158471#p158471

My problem now, is that I used to be able to configure whatever angle I wanted for the monitors, but since some time ago, the only angle I can set my side monitors to is the "recommended" angle.

As I explain in the referred post, with my thick bezels that recommended angle is not looking ok.

WHY IS THE ANGLE LOCKED NOW TO THE RECOMMENDED VALUES?

It looks to me like a setep backward regarding the configuration flexibility.

plenty_otoole

Post by plenty_otoole » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:18 pm

jcenzano,

Would you diagram how you have your monitors cabled up to the video card? Also what kind of monitors? I've turned off nvidia surround and the SLI as well. Trying to run all three on one card and I'm not having much luck.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:21 pm

First set your FoV.

plenty_otoole

Post by plenty_otoole » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 am

I'm about to give up on three monitors.

I had to do a clean install with a clunky GTX 660 card to get things running again. I can load lesson or free flight but when I exit the game freezes. The settings for monitor 1 and 3 are wonky too. I can set them 80 degree offsets and they load just fine when the lesson or free flight begin. But when the game freezes and I restart it "setup" shows "1 degree" on both monitors 1 and 3.

My best guess is I have to run three identical monitors to make this work right but how on earth could that be corrupting the FOV settings?