VR Scale is "off"

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

melcrose

VR Scale is "off"

Post by melcrose » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 am

If you look at a hill 200 yards away, you know you're looking at a hill 200 yards away.
If you look at an 18 meter board stretching off to your right, you know it's about 18 meters long.

The "scale" in Condor 2 VR is INCREDIBLY off. No matter what you put in for "world scale" - it's computed incorrectly.
An 18 meter wing looks like it's 6 feet long.

A mountain thousands of feet away looks like a hill on the other side of the yard.

I assume there is nothing we can do about it, and I've contacted the Devs a long time ago but they basically said "check the world scale."

Any thoughts?

lordauriel

Re: VR Scale is "off"

Post by lordauriel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:53 pm

which headset?
on the Rift CV1 I find 105% the most realistic and it doesn't appear to be off that much..

melcrose

Post by melcrose » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Windows Mixed Reality- that may have something to do with it.. but I don't think so. I have mine @ 105 also, and the cockpit is the right "size" - but look around.... Does that wing look the right length to you? Fly in some mountains - they look like hills just a few blocks (at most) away. It's like your eyes aren't "small" enough so that the world looks small instead - like the plane is too small (by a factor of 4 or so) so that by the time the plane looks the correct size, the world doesn't.

lordauriel

Post by lordauriel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:28 pm

I can't comment on WMR but when I look left or right, the wings looks about right at 100 or 105%, and the distances to terrain look about right too, I think maybe another WMR user can comment on what is going on here?
4x too small, as you say, no I can't confirm that

melcrose

Post by melcrose » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm

OK, thanks for your input. If a rift or whatever you mentioned would fix it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. When I look at the wings (with a correct size) cockpit they look like.. 6 feet long on either side max. . . and the world is the same way. It's like I'm flying around in a terrarium. :)

NoXylophone

Post by NoXylophone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 am

Change the "depth perception factor" until the scale looks right. This alters how far apart the virtual cameras are, and will correct your sense of scale.