17:30 Tchin-tchin flights : improvement proposals

Moderators: dgtfer, Marc Blanjean, canastel9g, Bre901

Bre901

17:30 Tchin-tchin flights : improvement proposals

Post by Bre901 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 am

First of all, the Condorsim team would like to thank you for your participation in the 17:30 flights (more than 64 pilots on Sunday 1. december).

The large number of pilots present daily proves the attractiveness of this meeting, but poses several problems.
We would like to be able to answer the various questions or suggestions made during the flights:

Waiting time before takeoff too long ...

Several solutions are available to us:
- The first and simplest one would be to limit the server to about 45 participants and open an identical one in the same second (the "charm" of flying together at 60+ would be annihilated).
- Airborne start: we are rather opposed to it, because it is less realistic (On Sundays, which is a day of greater affluence, we try to restrict the airborne start to a very low altitude, which forces to fly the plane immediately).
NOTE: when possible, using the engine start saves time ...

Too difficult or "boring" flights, according to some ...

- A more realistic approach would make the "hotest" flights feasible: "wasting" some time to climb higher ... may save you time, or even allow to finish. Many have understood that ...
- Some tasks are made more complicated by the weather conditions, but, in consequence, the piloting skills of many have been greatly improved.

Reduce the distance

- Less easy flights should be shortened so that slower pilots can finish the flight in about 1:30

Repetition of "difficult" flights:

- 8 tasksetters share the week, independently of each other. If such a repetition happens, it's just a coincidence

Moreover, we are open to tasks proposals from the 17:30 "regulars", whenever they want.
This would enable a greater diversity of both approach and sensitivity ...

Your comments and suggestions are more than welcome ...
CN: MPT β€” CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

wickid

Re: 17:30 Tchin-tchin flights : improvement proposals

Post by wickid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am

I wouldn't change the format as it is clearly popular.

As for the boring tasks, that is bound to happen from time to time. Good task setting isn't easy.

Maybe a few tips:

- facebook page where you announce the task/scenery in french and english. I don't have trouble finding it because I can read french fairly well but it would help our international community (or do it in this forum as well)

- make sure airborn collision recovery is on especially with the 64 pilot regatta start type tasks. I know we have to watch out and usually we do, but having just a screen kinda restricts our lookout.

- turnpoints in clouds are never a good idea. Not all planes have cloud flying instruments and not everybody uses CoTaSa.

Other then that, keep up what you guys are doing and I encourage everybody to join us at 16:30 UTC 😁
PH-1504, KOE

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 am

wickid wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 am

As for the boring tasks, that is bound to happen from time to time. Good task setting isn't easy.

Maybe a few tips:

- facebook page where you announce the task/scenery in french and english. I don't have trouble finding it because I can read french fairly well but it would help our international community (or do it in this forum as well)
I was just thinking of putting a link from this forum to the Condorsim forum
- make sure airborn collision recovery is on especially with the 64 pilot regatta start type tasks. I know we have to watch out and usually we do, but having just a screen kinda restricts our lookout.
That's precisely one of the reasons why I developped FPLCheck
- turnpoints in clouds are never a good idea. Not all planes have cloud flying instruments and not everybody uses CoTaSa.
That's actually quite tricky because we don't test the tasks most of the time and it's hard to forecast precisely where the clouds will be

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 am

Same here, don't change it too much.

the tasks are more fun oriented than technical (no real traps, fly really fast all along, seldom need of a cloud stop) but that is also fun.
There are other servers for when I want hard and technical.

It is true that the list of flights for the week is kind of hidden somewhere in the forum...you need to be registered to see it etc...a bit of a pain...an easier way would be cool.

What i d'like to see (maybe it happens when I am not in) is more tasks for slow planes (club, school, standard).

Thanks for the time you put in this.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am

Bre901 wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 am

Maybe a few tips:

But you need to register and the registry page is only in French. It would be good if the task list/scenery is mirrored on this english forum.
PH-1504, KOE

mauheb

Post by mauheb » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am

The only thing IMO that has to be changed is the type of start. When you enter the server immediately and the server ends up full, the line for the tow/winch takes so much type. I suggest an airborne start at 400-500m agl. Yes, it is somewhat less realistic, but average speeds of over 200km/h are also very unrealistic (at least in the Alps). That way we could actually start the race at 1751Z.
Maurits Hebels - (033)

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 am

Starting 5. December, the main server will be duplicated (FR07 and FR07BIS starting together), with a maximum number of participants of 45 each instead of 64 for the single server (this figure may be adjusted in the future)

Keep in mind that engine starts (when available) reduce waiting time.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am

MrHerisson wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 am
It is true that the list of flights for the week is kind of hidden somewhere in the forum...you need to be registered to see it etc...a bit of a pain...an easier way would be cool.
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am
But you need to register and the registry page is only in French. It would be good if the task list/scenery is mirrored on this english forum.
Mirroring or duplicating or updating daily a Facebook page would add too extra much work.
The thread on the French forum is now public (no need to register or login) and there is a link in the Tchin-tchin thread on this forum : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19355

mack

Post by mack » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:41 pm

hello,

Any chance for a Tchin-Tchin race on the default scenery (Slovenia 2)?

Regards,
Iulian M.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am

Just a quick reminder :
If you can't join the 17:30 CET servers because they are full, two backup servers are available:
- one starting at 17:40
- one starting at 18:30

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm

That's actually quite tricky because we don't test the tasks most of the time and it's hard to forecast precisely where the clouds will be
Maybe remove cloudpanelties...
Then people can train cloudflying...

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm

mauheb wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 am
The only thing IMO that has to be changed is the type of start. When you enter the server immediately and the server ends up full, the line for the tow/winch takes so much type. I suggest an airborne start at 400-500m agl.
Why not whinch starts on days with good lift and/or close to good ridgelift?

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 am

EDB wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm
....Then people can train cloudflying...
Yeah....as I've seen before, if you practice enough cloud flying, especially near mountains, you will eventually manage to hit either the mountain or another plane.

If you don't hit anything at first, don't give up, just practice some more and it will come to you...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 am

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm
Maybe remove cloudpanelties...
Then people can train cloudflying...
This is the case as a general rule, but tasksetters are free to use cloud penalties when they think it's better for the task.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:47 am

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:18 pm
Why not whinch starts on days with good lift and/or close to good ridgelift?
That's a possibility indeed, I'll think of it for my next flights
However, some of the tasksetters have already made their flightplans for months in advance and I'm not sure they are willing to check and modify them all.