Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

guca

Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Post by guca » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Hello,

Is Oculus quest an alternative to Oculus rift s, if yes what are pros and cons?

Oculus quest requires any PC to run Condor 2 ?

If Oculus quest requires a PC, is it still necessary to have a powerful graphics card?

Thank you

sisu1a

Re: Oculus Quest or oculus rift s

Post by sisu1a » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Oculus Quest is a stand-alone device but Condor a pc game. That said, they did just announce an additional ($70) cable that will allow it to connect to pc, but until the cable comes out the honest answer is we don't know. If you have a pc with enough power to run CR, condor itself is not that taxing of a load so normal min specs apply. If the cable works out, likely Quest is the better option since it's a higher spec'd hmd however the S is more comfortable for longer sessions, something important to multi-hour flights and is a less expensive option since it comes with a cable, though the audio is weak as heck

antani

Post by antani » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Oculus link was released yesterday. Any news about Condor 2 working with Oculus Quest?

coderdad

Post by coderdad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:39 pm

I was able to try it today using the Oculus Quest with Link. It works just like an S.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am

FYI Rift s (PC only) is currently £350 in the UK. Quest (stand alone) is £399 plus I have been told that a sutiable link cable (to attach to PC) is £79 in UK. So £350 vs £478. If it turns out there is a lower cost cable that works, then yes, the Quest may be the best option. Welcome the cable choices of people that have used the Quest so far.

antani

Post by antani » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:24 pm

coderdad wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:39 pm
I was able to try it today using the Oculus Quest with Link. It works just like an S.
Great news!!! Now I need to upgrade th PC and black friday is coming :D .

SteveK

Post by SteveK » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:16 am

k6chris wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am
FYI Rift s (PC only) is currently £350 in the UK. Quest (stand alone) is £399 plus I have been told that a sutiable link cable (to attach to PC) is £79 in UK. So £350 vs £478. If it turns out there is a lower cost cable that works, then yes, the Quest may be the best option. Welcome the cable choices of people that have used the Quest so far.
Rift S - currently £349 - John Lewis do a two year warranty in that as well. Price valid until 2/12/19. John Lewis do reasonably priced accidental damage cover as well £15 for 2 years. Quest £399 from them (warranty as the Rift S)

coderdad

Post by coderdad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:03 pm

For everything other than condor I prefer being untethered with the quest. The other thing to consider is that you don't need a display port to tether the quest. For the S you need display port to plug in. I am using this $19 cable from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7 ... UTF8&psc=1

pelegw

Post by pelegw » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am

The Quest works great for me for the last two weeks.
I'm using an Anker USB3 cable with an Anker USB3 extension cable to get some distance from the PC.
Given that this is still in Beta and Cormack's comments about improving the system further, I think the Quest is a very safe bet at this stage with the added freedom of wireless gaming using native apps.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:53 am

pelegw wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am
The Quest works great for me for the last two weeks.
I'm using an Anker USB3 cable with an Anker USB3 extension cable to get some distance from the PC.
Given that this is still in Beta and Cormack's comments about improving the system further, I think the Quest is a very safe bet at this stage with the added freedom of wireless gaming using native apps.
Please, could you be more specific about the programs you are using with the Quest? To be more specific ¿Are you using the Quest with The Condor Sim?

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:45 pm

So has anyone used the Oculus Quest with Condor? Some specific feedback would be very helpful, esp vs the Rift S.

Thanks

jayhawkpilot

Post by jayhawkpilot » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 am

I purchased a high end PC (I9 9900 with 2080 TI) and the Oculus Quest.

The PC is great. The Oculus Quest is great.

I cannot figure out how to get the Condor 2 simulator to drive my Oculus Quest.

I have a USB C cable attached between the Quest and the graphics card's USB C port.

I can run the Oculus PC software, play demos and whatever. All good.

I have configured Condor 2 to use VR. It recognizes my video card specifics. It works fine without VR enabled. But when I enable VR and try to start a flight I see nothing from Condor 2 in the Oculus.

I must be missing something. I know others have made this work.

I'm hoping someone can provide assistance. The only reason I bought this high end PC and Oculus Quest is so I can use it with Condor 2 in VR.

Thanks for your help!

jayhawkpilot

Post by jayhawkpilot » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm

More information on this issue.

I have managed to get Condor to show up in the Oculus app on the PC as an unknown source type app. I can launch it from there. But it still does not display anything on my Quest.

I'm still missing something. Don't know what yet.

Segler93

Post by Segler93 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:37 pm

@ jayhawkpilot
I have the Oculus Quest and Condor2 VR. It is performing very awesome. (But i can't tell you if the resolution is better than on the rift-s via HDMI.)
Start Condor via VR or on the desktop. Make sure to check that "Setup VR[ON]" is not [off].
Then start the flight on the desktop.
If you are in flight but you can't see it on the Quest, make sure that you are in the Oculus Link view.

Nico

dan73boat

Post by dan73boat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Hello,
I'm about to purchase a VR headset, and I am curious if anyone has any updates on whether I should buy an Oculus Quest with Link cable or an Oculus Rift S? I will also be buying a new laptop computer. Is it true that the Quest can induce more motion sickness because of the lower refresh rate? Does the lack of Pupillary Distance slider bar in the Rift S bother anyone. Does the extra weight of the Quest cause fatigue on long flights?
What has anyone purchased recently and for what reasons did they decide on one or the other?
Thanks!
Dan :D