Valve Index + Linux?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Tobster

Valve Index + Linux?

Post by Tobster » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 pm

Does anyone have experience of running Condor 2 with a Valve Index, using either WINE or a virtual machine? Or something close to this description?

I have used Linux Mint for the past few years, without looking back; and WINE with a roughly 80% success rate with Windows based games. I'm about to delve into VR. I have a very fast PC that's been put together for the purpose of running Condor 2, intended to replace my Std Cirrus while it's in winter storage and help with Ascat patter until next season!

Oculus Rift seems to be best supported and best value, but Valve Index seems to be just "best". As I say I'm delving into this first time, so invite comment on that also.

sisu1a

Re: Valve Index + Linux?

Post by sisu1a » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:57 am

No experience with Linux and Condor but it's absolutely glorious in the Index. I was surprised at how much more information was in the increased fov from gen1 hmd (coming from a CV1), vertical is nearly as far as my eye can move up/down and horizontal got a noticeable bump. Also being able to actually move my eyes around in VR from the dual element lenses is also a huge game changer. Sorry I don't have your specific answers, but it's well worth figuring out or just using Windows if you can't sort it quickly.

Tobster

Re: Valve Index + Linux?

Post by Tobster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Follow up: No. Valve Index is woefully poorly supported by Linux generally. I gave up on trying to get it to even switch on.

Gone for the 90 day free of Win10 EE. Will see how the Linux situation has evolved at the end of it!