Water, water, everywhere

Moderator: BOD1

mbamberg

Water, water, everywhere

Post by mbamberg » Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 am

I have downloaded (three times) the new Cascade Range scenery from Condor Club. After extracting the scenery I create a task and attempt to fly. What I see is a bunch of water with trees sticking up!

Happens every time. I deleted the old folder each time before extracting a new one and still get the water for most of the scenery.

My system is a Core-i3 system with 16GB of RAM and an NVidia 1050TI card with 4GB of memory.

Other sceneries are just fine. What do I need to do to get this one to "work"

Mike Bamberg

Andy1248

Re: Water, water, everywhere

Post by Andy1248 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

The symptoms you describe indicate that your extract process did not place the dds files into the textures folder.

It is best to extract to seperate folder and then cut or copy and paste the dds files into the scenery texture folder.
Condor CN = E20

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

mbamberg wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 am
I have downloaded (three times) the new Cascade Range scenery from Condor Club. After extracting the scenery I create a task and attempt to fly. What I see is a bunch of water with trees sticking up!
Hi Mbamberg, you don't have the textures files in the Cascade Range/Textures directory.
Did you load all the textures files and unzipped in Condor/Landscapes directory? (not in Cascade Range!)
Just have a look to CascadeREn 2018-05-17.pdf. In the Installation chapter you'll find all the informations to check that your .dds files are in the right directory.

mbamberg

Post by mbamberg » Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 pm

I followed the directions in the Condor Club scenery page :

"download all scenery files (7z.001, 7z.002 and so on) and save them in Condor's landscapes folder. Go to this folder with Windows Explorer, find the just-downloaded scenery files and do a right click on the file with .7z.001 extension and choose "Extract files...". Ensure selected target directory is "Landscapes". 7-zip will automatically uncompress all files contained in .7z.00X archives in the correct scenery's subfolder."

It appears that all the folders have been correctly created in the "Cascade Range" folder under Landscapes. however, as you surmised the textured directory is empty.

The extraction process did not complete using the "automated process. I'll try to figure out which of the downloaded files actually contain the textures.

Mike

mbamberg

Re: Water, water, everywhere, Land Ho!

Post by mbamberg » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 am

I had to extract all the texture files individually and discovered that one of the files was corrupted. I re-downloaded it and now I see the world as it should be (in Condor 2).

Thanks for the pointers.

Mike

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 pm

This is not unusual. Once you know the structure of a landscape folder just extract the zip files and make sure all the contents get to the right place.
Condor CN = E20

cruzerdog

Post by cruzerdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm having the same problem. This and other sceneries

Some have clear water rippling on top of the green grass, and some are black water on top of the ground. The planes, sky, trees, buildings are all OK.

I know I have the zip files in their right places because the Cascade Range will work sometime, and then, the water pops back up when you re-open the file.

If someone would look at the list, I have compiled and see if there are any similarities to why some work and some don't.

The following that I have downloaded work;

Big Elba
Big Pyrenes
CW-A
CW-V
Florida2
Jura-Blanc 2
Nephi
S.E. UK
Luxumberg
Tian-Shan2
Porta-West Falica
Southern Norway
Slovina2
Scotland3
Cypre

The following have black rippling water or rippling clear water over the correct texture;

Cascade -Range (this will work then sometimes the clear water ripple shows up. I can never re-create when it works/don't work.)
Denmark5 Black water
Ireland 1.0 Black water
Lem-Bahia 1.0 Black water
Tehran 1.0 Black water
Transandino 1.0 Black water

Thanks for the help
I cant post some pics if it helps. The clear water rippling is cool but not under dry land!
Gary
"SQQ"

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Same here with Jura Mont-Blanc 2 and Big Pyrenees 2...

Have tried all sorts of install tracks, I even have my Textures folders filled with dds files, but when I start a task there are no textures other than those of scenery objects ( houses, aircraft… ) ?
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Ok think I found the culprit !

The installation instructions at Condor-Club are too generic and misleading for some scenery packages…

As others have stated, use manual extraction of all of the textures.
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

cruzerdog

Post by cruzerdog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 am

"Ok think I found the culprit !
The installation instructions at Condor-Club are too generic and misleading for some scenery packages…

As others have stated, use manual extraction of all of the textures."

What does manual mean? The .zip files are in a batch. Are the textures downloaded to the wrong place when 7z or WinZip are extracting them?

And I am almost sure I had Cascade Range work once. I said hooray, jotted down all the graphics changes, went back to play and the clear water over the terrain was back...
You can see the Cascade textures under clear rippling water! I'll post a screenshot if it helps for the ones creating these landscapes.

Also, had one scenery that was in the blackwater column and now its n the good column. It sounds like it's on the user side, not landscapes side. Maybe hardware graphics setups?

I gave up and fly what works.

What does work here is fantastic! My ASW27b has been a hangar queen for five years! At least I can thermal and crash without insurance!

Gary

cruzerdog

Post by cruzerdog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:25 am

Hi José Monteiro,

After posting, I started thinking about, manual. Ok, maybe some of the people that make the landscapes do not batch their .zip files like others.

Ok, went to my first blackwater landscape and unzipped them ONE AT A TIME. It works!

Ok. Anybody that comes up with black water when you open the landscape, you need to go back and un-zip each one, manually.

I'm assuming the first one that is not part of the texture files, 1 of 5, 2 of 5, 3 of 5...etc, will have to be done first, so it creates the correct folder in the C:\Condor2\landscapes folder with the proper naming landscape. Then, unzip each texture file, one at a time to C:\Condor2\landscapes and it will find the correct folder.

Thanks again, Jose, I get to fly a lot more landscapes now!

Gary

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am

The important thing is to unzip the first file on its own.

Afterwards, it is quite possible to process the texture files all at once :
- select them all,
- right click,
- 7-Zip,
- Extract to ... target=Landscapes folder
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 am

If you get a zip file or a series of zip files to extract into the perfect formed Condor Landscape then that is a bonus.

I think it better to assume that the extraction process is only going to unzip the package.
I would recommend that you do not try to extract the zip into your Condor 2 folder but download the zips to seperate new folder.
Then unzip into the same new folder. This can be auto unzip which will unzip all the scenery or must be done to each individual zip file.
It is then fair to say that the user should copy and paste the files into a correctly structured landscape folder. The key thing being that all the dds textures files (most of the zip will be dds files) must go into the textures folder.

Once you have extracted a few sceneries you get to know the landscape folder sctructure and where the files should go. Looking at the installed Slovenia scenery folder will show the folder and file structure.

Hope this helps those new to downloading new sceneries.
Condor CN = E20

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 pm

A better solution is needed for this because not all users are skilled with zip files and installing.

I have asked beta team to suggest a solution
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

cruzerdog

Post by cruzerdog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

What my mistake was, was assuming that all downloaded landscape files were batched. Since some are, I never thought about it. And, it takes a bit of time to unzip one file so it appeared that it was catching all of the files as a batch. Past comments said to go look in the texture folders and see if they were there. Well, they are, some of them! Only the author knows how many files should be in the folder.

If they make sure, all the landscape files are either batched or not batched as one would be helpful. At least the download instructions would now make sense to the casual user. OMG, that's now me, too!

After leaving Windows for apple after 30 years, starting with MSDOS 1.1, I can't believe we are still doing this! :)

Gary