Cloud Computing...

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Cloud Computing...

Post by 19 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Guys,

has anyone looking into the possibility in hosting condor on the Cloud? like "On Live"??

This would sort out hardware and software issues that i know i have experienced in the pass...it would stop cheaters as they wouldn't be able to amend any of the source code etc...

Possible question to GR?

Cheers,

Sean.

Tima (TSD)

Re: Cloud Computing...

Post by Tima (TSD) » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Nearly one year we can't get patch which corrects bug in the flight school. And you are talking about new platform... :(

gride

Post by gride » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I was kicking around the idea of using an Amazon EC2 instance to host a server. A large windows instance (7.5GB memory, 4 EC2 compute units, 850 GB instance storage) costs $0.48 an hour: http://aws.amazon.com/windows/

Not sure what the licensing ramifications would be, or how the developers would feel about this...

Post by 19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm

TSD,

Not a new platform but somewhere condor can be access over the web... So you wont have hardware or graphic card issues as the severs would provide all of this.... Have a look at a simular solution: - http://www.onlive.co.uk

Cheers,

Sean.

snip

Post by snip » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 am

gride wrote:I was kicking around the idea of using an Amazon EC2 instance to host a server. A large windows instance (7.5GB memory, 4 EC2 compute units, 850 GB instance storage) costs $0.48 an hour: http://aws.amazon.com/windows/

Not sure what the licensing ramifications would be, or how the developers would feel about this...
I was able to run server on wine runnning ubuntu in a virtual machine (with DSH).
But problem is that Condor server requires high IO (disk access) at startup. But disk IO is not the best thing cloud computing is doing.

gride

Post by gride » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:05 am

snip wrote: I was able to run server on wine runnning ubuntu in a virtual machine (with DSH).
But problem is that Condor server requires high IO (disk access) at startup. But disk IO is not the best thing cloud computing is doing.
Hmmm...I see a lot of concern expressed on the AWS forums about disk IO performance (my previous experience has been with compute intensive tasks; CPU limited, no IO bandwidth issues.) Have you tried booting the Condor server on something like an EC2 instance to characterize the performance?

Tima (TSD)

Post by Tima (TSD) » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 am

19 wrote:TSD,

Not a new platform but somewhere condor can be access over the web... So you wont have hardware or graphic card issues as the severs would provide all of this.... Have a look at a simular solution: - http://www.onlive.co.uk

Cheers,

Sean.
Looks like you don't understand underlying technologies. If you think that it is enough to put Condor somewhere on the web, provide access to registered users and after that everybody will be able to fly utilizing virtual "cloud" hardware and having just picture on their screens then you are mistaken. That "similar solution" you mentioned above is completely different platform as well as completely different software architecture and software design technologies.

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:08 am

I see lots of problems, your Condor experience will only be as good as the speed & quality of your broadband, some here are on 1mb & a few have 100mb most have the best they can get/afford. Poor quality connection at the moment gives warping & possible disconnects both of which are not ideal but don't stop people competing on the other side of the planet, the 'cloud' user on a poor quality connection would have to put up with at times huge input lag & possible disconnects ending his race. I see lag being blamed for every crash into a mountain :)

snip

Post by snip » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:49 pm

gride wrote:Have you tried booting the Condor server on something like an EC2 instance to characterize the performance?
I've tested it but not a lot on amazone platform. I worked a lot on OVH one.
A solution was to create ramdisk to put Condor on it ... but this require lot of ram....