GPSReceiver for Ipaq? Is there a cheap way to use gpsnav?

To discuss anything related to soaring or not...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

kristoffer

GPSReceiver for Ipaq? Is there a cheap way to use gpsnav?

Post by kristoffer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi all!
The glidingseason is now only months away. My plan for next season is to learn cross country soaring in an asw15. :D I'm currently trying to figure out a cheap way to set my self up with a gps nav system. Of course most xc pilots know about Oudie and similar gadgets. I on the other hand, rather want to spend those money on more tows.
In my "electronics box" underneath my bed I found my old PDA. It's an Ipaq 3630. It looks completely identical to the one used in Condor. :D I found it's charger and managed to connect it to my pc using activesync. Now, I have to find a way to connect it to the GPS. :| This is the hard part.
I found this "Holux GR-271 Automotive GPS Receiver" somewere wich seems to be excactly what I'm looking for! It looks like something I could fit into the weirdlooking pda-cover I have with some sort of output on it. :? I then faced a new problem: The factories has stopped production of this GPS receiver. I found one on ebay but:I can't see were the dealer is from. Theres quite a big chance that I would face difficulties with Norwegian Customs in an attempt to import such a thing. To me, this one looks like a dead end. I'm turning to the Condor Community to see if anyone here got any clues?
My mission is: Cheap gpsnav
Attempt 1: Finding a way to get my old PDA connected to the GPS
hmmmm...

Best Regards
Kristoffer

OXO
Condor Team

Re: GPSReceiver for Ipaq? Is there a cheap way to use gpsnav?

Post by OXO » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

I assume you will want an IGC flight recorder, so get one of those and it will have the GPS NMEA output to connect to your pda :)
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Are you a member in a flying club? Ask around, usually people tend to update their equipment in wintertime. May be you can get something for a reasonable price.
Or visit: http://www.segelflug.de in section Instruments or section Others. Its a good place to find older GPS equipment.

If you actually only look for a cheap logger, then I can recommend the "flywith CE logger" http://www.irl-shop.de/product_info.php ... 7ebf3cb7bd
Comes with its own batteries, no further GPS required. Presently its not yet certified for using in competitions, but a good backup system for OLC flights.

Regards,

Frank (FL)

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 am

Hi, and thanks for the quick replies! :D
The glider I'm going to fly next year will have the FLARM system with igclogger included. What I want is a movingmap on my pda. The flarmsystem has a gps receiver and igc approved logger, but I don't think I can connect that to my pda. I must admit I have no clue what type of port my pda uses(namewhise). I can upload a picture of it if it's for anything good. I'll do some reasearch in my club and online, but I'm thinking this will be a difficult one to find.
At least I have the flarm to help me with my lookout if I will be navigating by a map. :)

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:49 am

kristoffer wrote:Hi, and thanks for the quick replies! :D
The glider I'm going to fly next year will have the FLARM system with igclogger included. What I want is a movingmap on my pda. The flarmsystem has a gps receiver and igc approved logger, but I don't think I can connect that to my pda. I must admit I have no clue what type of port my pda uses(namewhise). I can upload a picture of it if it's for anything good. I'll do some reasearch in my club and online, but I'm thinking this will be a difficult one to find.
At least I have the flarm to help me with my lookout if I will be navigating by a map. :)
Flarm has NMEA output.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 am

Always good for a help http://www.k6-team.de/
They are providing all the components & kabel in connection with FLARM-GPS-PDA.
And they are really friendly to everybody coming up with a question.

eksp

Post by eksp » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi
I know a few there is using that PDA with GPS LOG, it has a com port :D

And if you have to do it low price, and mybe have some one to help you, searce the link´s below, and it will be theap
http://praestegaard.com/?Glider_related ... pin_models

You need 5 volt
http://praestegaard.com/?download=DC-DC ... ematic.pdf

How you connect to your Flarm you have to read in its manual, its not so complicatet :wink:

I have done this myself but to a Ipaq hx 4700 connectet to a LX flarm redbox
and i am happy with it :lol:
Steffen
Danmark
Std. Libelle 201b OY-XBM

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks for all your help guys! :D

This is actually starting to look like something even I could manage.
As I understand the facts:

*Connecting my PDA to my glider's FLARM gps system should be done easy.
* I need a 5v power supply.

The charger I have for it is 5v. I think it needs at least 100v AC input though. :(
I guess a 12v battery will do the job if I manage to replicate that curcuit. :?
I also guess I will need an own battery for my pda. I found some nice illustrations of amp-usage in a glider at Prestægaards page, but I still don't know how much the flarm-system will use.

Some photos of my equipment follows:
23012011022.jpg
23012011023.jpg
24012011028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kristoffer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am

I'm also having some troubles finding a navsoftware that is compatible with my PDA. Something similar to Condors software would be perfect. My only real demands are: a movingmap that can show me the track and airspace and do some simple calculations.

Kristoffer

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:42 pm

ou need 5 volt
http://praestegaard.com/?download=DC-DC ... ematic.pdf
I have now brought the schematics, print and partslist to my school and will try to make the circuit there. We didn't have all the parts, so it might take a while. Luckely, I was smart enough to start this small project of mine while the seasons still a few months away. :)

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to find a navsoftware that wants to install on my pda. I did spend some hours trying to install xcsoar and similar software without success. My excperience with pda is zero, so I don't really know how I should move forward with this. I am trying to install programs using activesync, but it tells me that it(my pda?) doesn't find any features compatible. Some guidence anyone? :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Kristoffer

Frank Lukas

Post by Frank Lukas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:47 pm

kristoffer wrote:I'm also having some troubles finding a navsoftware that is compatible with my PDA. Something similar to Condors software would be perfect. My only real demands are: a movingmap that can show me the track and airspace and do some simple calculations.

Kristoffer
Its for free and doesn't need high performance equipment:
http://www.lk8000.it/

eksp

Post by eksp » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi
i am glad you could use it :lol:

i just remembered that one frome my club uses one like this
he took the print out of the housing and solded some wires on the print.
maybe you can find it in a carshop or a supermarket near you :idea:

I am sure that See You mobile and GPS LOG can run on your pda, :wink:
i will also mean that XCsoar can run on it but i have no expirience with XCsoar :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steffen
Danmark
Std. Libelle 201b OY-XBM

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm

i just remembered that one frome my club uses one like this
he took the print out of the housing and solded some wires on the print.
maybe you can find it in a carshop or a supermarket near you :idea:
As I have already started to work on the voltage regulator I guess thats the easiest way? :?
As I understand: When I'm done with the circuit, I'll have two connection screws to connect with my 12v battery and the other connections to flarm. On the other side, I can connect my pda's COM port getting both power and gps signals?

eksp

Post by eksp » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:44 pm

kristoffer wrote:
As I understand: When I'm done with the circuit, I'll have two connection screws to connect with my 12v battery and the other connections to flarm. On the other side, I can connect my pda's COM port getting both power and gps signals?
:wink: Yes :lol: :lol:
Steffen
Danmark
Std. Libelle 201b OY-XBM

kristoffer

Post by kristoffer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

:wink: Yes :lol: :lol:
Let's hope it does the job then. :D
I really enjoyed your pda-pages! Loads of good information!
Are there many members of your club that buildt their own case for it?
I think I will make this myself simply by using my old charger/connector illustradet on the photo above.
I'll cut the whire going to my 230v ac charger(cause now I'll have power trough COM),
and remove the large "disc" the pda supposed to "stand on",
and then try to build something that fits good in the asw15.
I'd like to hear your excperiences with this? Is it better just to buy something made out of the factory?

Kristoffer