Flight track / Google KMZ for analysis... your comments?

This is the best place to exchange flight plans and flight tracks...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

turner

Flight track / Google KMZ for analysis... your comments?

Post by turner » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:36 am

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this so this is likely a pretty ugly track, but figured I'd post it here to hopefully learn from my mistakes... Near the end I just could not seem to find more than a blip or two of lift! Any comments appreciated!

[edit] Ok, I'm getting a message saying "The extension ftr is not allowed."

Same for igc.

???

thanks,
Andrew

kristoffer

Re: Flight track / Google KMZ for analysis... your comments?

Post by kristoffer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 am

You must "Zip" the files. (Mark both files, right clik and press "Compress" or extract)
What you could also do is to open the files and upload a screenshot from your screen while looking at the files.

Kristoffer

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Aha!

Ok, here they are...

.ftr, .igc, and .kmz

Not a pretty sight. Well, kind of pretty, but for differerent reasons :)

thanks,
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:45 am

Andrew, first you started too low. You should have been 400 meters higher than the max start alt. then dove down to max alt. just before crossing the start line. Second, while the first thermal you found was good, you didn't stick with it to cloud base. The terrain in front of you was lumpy and not a good producer of thermals, you need max alt to give your self enough time to cross the lumps to find a thermal in the valley, the bigger the valley the more good thermals you have a chance of finding. Once you droped below 1000 meters your options become limited and in your case you were below 1000 meters looking for lift in lumpy terrain. You could have extended you glide time by hugging the ridges. There were alot of dead clouds in that task and we saw alot of land outs from alot of very good pilots. Your results are pretty average when compared to every one who flew monday night. I myself suffered a last second save from landing out and I was only one of three to finish.
Image,Image,Image

turner

Post by turner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Extremely helpful, David - thanks.

Quite a learning process here and I'll be able to apply this across the board...

cheers
Andrew