[SBC2010] Competition days

Moderators: dgtfer, Simicro, Marc Blanjean, RaiderOne, canastel9g, LEAN, PhilippeFP

thermal

Re: [Sky Battle Cup 2010] General discussions

Post by thermal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi all,
I don't want to talk about rules or penalties, the rules are what the competition management decides.

About task setting, I know the area from day #1 very well.
A lot of competition mountain flying is taking place here, and from personal experience I can assure you all that these competitions are often being held in conditions like those on day 1, or even far worse.
In RL competitions here, it's not unusual for the entire gaggle "parking" in weak lift, waiting for a passage to clear or a thunderstorm to pass.

Also it's not unusual that the majority of gliders return to the start field and the day is canceled, because the weather simply deteriorated unexpectedly, making completion of the task impossible.

That said, I found the weather on day 1 very realistic.
I've flown on many days here with cloud bases like this.
The difference between Condor- and RL competitions is, the way Pilots handle these circumstances.
In RL, when a cloud or shower blocks your way you just wait, or try to find a different route even if that takes a lot more Kms.

In Condor you might take the risk to continue and take those few penalty points for cloud flying.
If that turns out to be a bad decision, you just push the Power-off button, brush your teeth and go to bed.

Take the same risk in RL, however, and you may not have to brush your teeth again.... ever!
That's the difference.

Well done team, keep going.
Pity I missed day 2.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Charon

Post by Charon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 am

Second day - quite difficult, but how it was pretty - to appear on top of mountains :D Many thanks to SBC team :)
Best Regards,
Dmitriy Balykin aka BAD

Jan Oorthuijsen

Post by Jan Oorthuijsen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 am

Made it home :mrgreen: , thanks for the nice task.
PH-722
WW
It’s Difficult to Soar Like An Eagle
When You’re surrounded By Turkeys

R Semo

Post by R Semo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:24 am

thanks for an real and funny task.

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:07 am

Yes, my first race on SBC2010 and I made it home too, faaaar behind others :D

Thank you SBC2010 Team and this time I would also thank to Tim, and so should do all slow pilots, like me, from about 70th to 99th place. Due to his very fast flying more of us (those who struggled to survive on 1st leg) got 735,10 pts :twisted:

Not much, but if he had flown slower, less people would have it... :roll:

For the newbies on the scoring formulae: If you flew less than 2/3 of first placed speed, you gain the same points (only the distance points, if I remember correctly).

See you all next sunday.
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Serginho

Post by Serginho » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:31 am

That was a great task.

By the experience i had on Day1 on wich i got too low many times, i planned to stay high on Day2 no matter how much time i would waste, i just didnt want to be stuck on montains again.
But then by surprise i joined the same server as JJJ and i wondered how he would do the flight decisions. Honestly, im more interested in improving by looking at how experienced guys do, than with the results really.
I know that even if u follow someone who is damn good, doesnt mean u can keep up even if u fly the same path because the details of the flying makes all the difference. But, i was too curious so, i went after him about 2km behind. The first 10km was looking good until he turned right to the valley and went ridge running getting low... low... i didnt expect it and i felt unconfortable (Day1 trauma) but hell... its JJJ... hes an ace! :) So... i kept looking after him... when things were getting wet (inside my cockpit) he found a good lift... whew.. there we go again... until we got stuck at the end... Damn... i could not believe i was stuck again.. was harder to believe that JJJ got stuck. I think i stayed with JJJ the very first 20 kilometers and we got stuck on the montains...

Hard working on weak lifts, we managed to climb slowly, i tried a different place for lift, for some time it looked like i even got little bit higher than him but i was maybe 2km away from the montain pass... when... he moved towards the pass and wooop... what looked like a risky move, he flew over it. I was stunned :)
I went there and... dang.. i didnt have courage to jump over it... and the lift there was weak... there was 2 clouds moving in very tight on the montain same alt as me... i was about to get stuck between the clouds and the montain when it looked like i had a chance... it was really tight.. literally jump over it, flapped in middle, speed drop to 80 and i prayed.
By this time JJJ had already opened 30km in front of me and i didnt catch him anymore. Minutes later he landed somewhere... i wonder why... maybe his parents sent him to bed. :shock:

Well, all i have to say is that im very happy just to finish the tasks alive and in one piece.

Now back for a month after 4 years away from Condor, im really really happy and lucky to have the opportunity to join this competition since its beggining and feel like a great opportunity to improvement. Im sure many people share this thoughts.

Id like to say thanks to all responsable for this to happen. Thank you.
"In life, the more you live, more experience you get. In aviation, the more experience you get, more you live!"

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 am

JJJ wrote:Please guys, if you make tasks and you want to make it a bit realistic don't send us to the mountains with a cloudbase of 1900m while mountains are +2300m ... This task was really one of the most dangerous I ever flew, I nearly crashed 5times.. got luck I could land on top of a hill..

Anyway congrats to the winner he must have got great skills to do this!

Regards JJ
Come on Jeroen, it was not the task which was dangerous... maybe your route selection had something to do with it? :wink:

Here in Finland, always in winter time, are newspaper headlines telling "bad weather / slippery road caused accident". In my opinion it's the driver who should be driving the car and adapting his/her speed & decisions according existing environment.

Thanks to organizers, good work !

Good & safe flights to everybody.
JKK

Edit: btw, we could implement new NX-index = Tim will always have next bigger class index, so we others might have some chances too :D

Stefke

Post by Stefke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:44 am

The only thing I have to criticize, is the man in the mirror :wink:

I did everything wrong in the first two day´s. But hey, I still have great fun!

A big thanks to the SBC10 Team :!:

Next try sunday in NZ...

Thunderjet

Post by Thunderjet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 am

Jarmo K wrote:
JJJ wrote:Please guys, if you make tasks and you want to make it a bit realistic don't send us to the mountains with a cloudbase of 1900m while mountains are +2300m ... This task was really one of the most dangerous I ever flew, I nearly crashed 5times.. got luck I could land on top of a hill..

Anyway congrats to the winner he must have got great skills to do this!

Regards JJ
Come on Jeroen, it was not the task which was dangerous... maybe your route selection had something to do with it? :wink:

Here in Finland, always in winter time, are newspaper headlines telling "bad weather / slippery road caused accident". In my opinion it's the driver who should be driving the car and adapting his/her speed & decisions according existing environment.

Thanks to organizers, good work !

Good & safe flights to everybody.
JKK

Edit: btw, we could implement new NX-index = Tim will always have next bigger class index, so we others might have some chances too :D

if you want to make this competition boring this is the right way...
It not funny to have task solenght with so poor condition in so hight mountains...
IT'S GAME is not RL i can't think to paly for 3 or 4 hour in a day during working week... a can't think to go bed at 1 a.m. or later ..
if you want to make selction in players.. please say that is e competition only for champions not for all..
i flown all the task in the speed battle cup in 2008 and i don't remember task like yesterday night..

I land outland not because was in a low conditions but just because i was boring after more than 2 hours and i was middle lenght task..

IT'S A GAME... must be FUNNY ok some difficult in race is funny but not race complitely fool
B17
Is better stay on ground and dream to fly than stay on fly and dream to stay on ground

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

Come on Pietro ...

... Apparently you did participate to only 14 races over the total of 44 races flown on the SBC08 !!!

What about the SBC08-day41 and SBC08-day42 for instance ... they were both way much longer and more difficult than the SBC2010-day02 we did fly yesterday !

So please, don't be so rude with the TaskSetter and for sure don't make a general rule of your personnal feeling !
Lots of Condor Pilots get interest and pleasure flying tasks a bit difficult to finish instead of Arcade Tasks that are for me now very often boring !
So as you see it's a matter of point of view !

We never intend to organize a competition that put in the front the Arcade Skilled Pilots !

Personnaly, I did enjoy a lot the SBC2010-day02 task ! That was a fantastic one with, different sort of difficulties, different flight rythms, some important choice to do regarding de route&navigation, etc ... ! AWESOME Task for me !!!

Many thanks to PhilippeFP
Very well done guy ! BRAVO !
ImageImage

Lecro

Post by Lecro » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 am

please, don't change anything, this competition is perfect like that !!! Thank you for your great work! can't wait next sunday!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't.

bodhi1985

Post by bodhi1985 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Thunderjet wrote:if you want to make this competition boring this is the right way...
It not funny to have task solenght with so poor condition in so hight mountains...
IT'S GAME is not RL i can't think to paly for 3 or 4 hour in a day during working week... a can't think to go bed at 1 a.m. or later ..
if you want to make selction in players.. please say that is e competition only for champions not for all..
i flown all the task in the speed battle cup in 2008 and i don't remember task like yesterday night..

I land outland not because was in a low conditions but just because i was boring after more than 2 hours and i was middle lenght task..

IT'S A GAME... must be FUNNY ok some difficult in race is funny but not race complitely fool
B17
Nah, I wouldn't say this flight was boring. It was pretty interesting but definitely too long. There is something else that bothers me - it was the 2nd day of the competition and it seems that we have the winner already.
What about the SBC08-day41 and SBC08-day42 for instance ... they were both way much longer and more difficult than the SBC2010-day02 we did fly yesterday !
In SBC08 you could decide which time zone you'd like to fly... that makes a huge difference.

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 pm

bodhi1985 wrote:... There is something else that bothers me - it was the 2nd day of the competition and it seems that we have the winner already.
Huummm ... not sure :mrgreen: ... there are 23 tasks left to fly and the best 14 results are counted !

Some very good pilots have not yet started the competition ... even some of them are still not registreted ... so ... let's fly and we will see ... ! ;)
ImageImage

bodhi1985

Post by bodhi1985 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 pm

OK, I will go back to my previous post at the end of the competition and you will see I was right :)

RaiderOne

Post by RaiderOne » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 pm

bodhi1985 wrote:OK, I will go back to my previous post at the end of the competition and you will see I was right :)
I know, I know ... you may be right ! ... but its not sure ... ! :mrgreen: :wink:
ImageImage