Day9

3W

Post by 3W » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:18 am

Karsten, you have managed to get every aspect of cross-country flying happening in SR, amazing well planned and a very good job - its actually not so easy with the current weather model in Condor. Please continue doing things your own way because its impossible to please all.

This is a free competition and basically it is in my opinion unacceptable to critisize the tasksetter/comp.management. Again it could be a solution for many participants if the comp. were graded in different levels but thats another story. This year's SR is a grand mix of very hard, hard, and easier tasks - the way it should be.
Outlandings/crashes is nothing to whine about, in the end youre the pilot :lol: and if you dont like the task, dont fly it !

My 50€cent,
3W.
There's no place like cloudbase.

Post by 19 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 am

+1

great Job mate...

Redich

Post by Redich » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:59 am

Hi kalue,

Firstly don’t get me wrong – I’m still very pleased someone will do the hard (I know it is) work and make competitions. Why I also had made a little donation. I just try to get the most out of my money ;) Na – some constructive criticism we can all use, I think - right 3W :roll:
kaleu wrote:The tasksetter's thoughts: :wink:
(and please don't tell me that flying a 200km task in such conditions is unrealistic.)
About finding waves your right - I'm not very good at waves and I was not expecting any in this scenario with these small flat hills - so if there was waves as you say - then my apologies for my complain here :oops: because I was really low lot of the time in areas I never had a fair chance to make a safe out landing.

Maybe it would be a pretty good idea to mention in briefing for all of us who not master waves good (at least for me ;) ) that there’s possibilities for waves today.
kaleu wrote: I think the main problem is that almost none of the Condor pilots practice to fly wave.
For my part again you absolute spot on :oops:
kaleu wrote: About the "dull" flatland tasks. Don't worry I still got a few planned for this SkyRace, my personal problem about flatland tasks in Condor is that in most sceneries the flatland is absolutely boaring.
Okay my problem here I guess is that I do not look so damn mush at the countryside (cloud shadows I do look for tho) when I compete, I just want to find the best thermals!!

But I’m really looking forward to these tasks m8 :) Reti was actually very good. I out landed and remember I was pretty angry :oops: I had not so mush Condor whether experience at that time in these conditions, so after some training for my self I realised this type of task was exactly my kind of task – so more of these thx.
kaleu wrote: in SkyRace09 but don't expect it to be the "normal" case. SkyRace had always been infamous for it's tasks and I guess that'll never change.
Okay this I didn’t know – okay so now I’m warned. . . I will try sucking it up from now on :wink:

Lastly – I have realised I really sucks in Condor competitions without training days before a competition. I know now this will never happen in SkyRace because we constantly changing to new surroundings.
For my part I would love to see competitions where we starts from same airfield in same scenario with all task from this same airfield – like a real competition in real life.

Ex. we all wote before Condor season starts where we want the competition and then all task goes from this scenario and airfield. For my part I would not in any way find it boring because for me it’s all about to compete – I can always admire the share beauty of a scenarios in any other time off-line or what ever!!

I still think you guys do a great job. Now I just realising I have to suck it up ;)

Regards (48 )

dgtfer

Post by dgtfer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:09 am

Congratulations for this unusual and interesting task!
I've learned a lot about wave flying in Condor...
Please go on and dont change anything in your task setting.
And do not listen to all those who would like to fly in so called competition without even looking to the map.
Thank You.

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Nice, You must have spent quite a while setting that one. :D 8)
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

UWE

Post by UWE » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:20 pm

In real Competitions you fly what the tasksetter writes on the Taskpaper :!:
Even when its clear that he send everybody to the cows.

In SkyRace all 9 Days were doable.
Go on, Karsten :lol:

Redich

Post by Redich » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:28 pm

UWE wrote:In SkyRace all 9 Days were doable.
Yep correct, but it's always hard to admit you sucks!!

UWE

Post by UWE » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Yep :lol: I flew 8 from the 9 Tasks and in Rieti a went to the cows.
But my wrong decisions und impatience flying is really not the problem of the tasksetter. A lot of Pilots did it better...

Redich

Post by Redich » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 pm

UWE wrote:

Yep :lol: I flew 8 from the 9 Tasks and in Rieti a went to the cows.
But my wrong decisions und impatience flying is really not the problem of the tasksetter. A lot of Pilots did it better...
:wink:

I know - The ideal would be we all from start are familiar with the surroundings before a competition, but this will apparently never happen here so I will suck it up!! Maybe in some distance future I know every single spot all over the Condor world!! :wink:

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:07 pm

Karsten

The only thing I was trying to point out was the lack of choices to complete this task. Despite flying well placed waves (that required knowledge about how they work in Condor or in RL, as Uwe said), was there any other way to complete the task? And before you say it, not only by Karsten and other top10 pilots...

Doesn't helped me either flying the task alone, without any visual help, not even a white blinking point ahead from someone more aware of waves... :)

Maybe we, the bad pilots, should let the good pilots fly the rest of the contest on their own. At least there would not be more moan... :mrgreen:

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

3P

Post by 3P » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Polewka wrote:The only thing I was trying to point out was the lack of choices to complete this task. Despite flying well placed waves (that required knowledge about how they work in Condor or in RL, as Uwe said), was there any other way to complete the task?
Hi Rene, was flying in STD class, was too low near TP1 (about 550 m after turning), second leg on ridge was terrible and slooow, but i finished... so yes, another way works too, but need too much time and patient... Definitely this was wave task, who missed it - outland... Hard one.

cu, Erik

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Erik, this was one of the points we were discussing on that thread, tasks where you have 2 possibilities (only): 1 right decision (taking the right waves) and ending the task with fast speed; or not taking it and having to take the ridge on leg 2 and MAYBE ending the task very, very slow (i.e. out of any chance of good placement). And btw, I turned TP1 at about 650m and also managed to use the ridge. This brought me almost to the finish, where I had -30m at mc0 10km from home, but an elevation at about 8km from field made me think aboutif I would make it or not, and I decided to land safely.

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Floris

Post by Floris » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Found it a very difficult but nice task.
As a flatland pilot, it was very hard to find the good waves so I got low after TP1.
Decided not to press on and landed on an airfield 34km from the finish.
I think I could have made it to the finish, but didn't wanna crash and have no points at all, so this was the second best choice ;)

Does anyone have the results?

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Reading all the statements I see 3 alternatives for non expert pilots:

1. Accept that the task are made for experts and be quiet
2. Stop Condor flying
3. Make your own competition

A remark to the boring flatland tasks. In RL I never found a pilot who says
"Cloudbase higher than 2000m, climbrate higher than 2 m/s and that in
flatland. No, that's boring. I don't want to fly."

Fox9

Post by 19 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:22 pm