short race by R.One with 229.38 km/h

This is the best place to exchange flight plans and flight tracks...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Berblinger

short race by R.One with 229.38 km/h

Post by Berblinger » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:53 pm

I'm not able to finish this crazy task with more than 230 (ASW 27, maximum water load). 240, maybe 250 should be possible?

The man who introduced the glide angle of 1 : stone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:10 pm

I did 7:56 with 239,4 kmh and without any thermals (we set time to 7.00 am)..A.Burkhardt did it 3sec better as i know so far :shock:

Bye Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:43 am

so, with an optimzed course (a little bit more straight heading first tp) i did it instantly with 235.3 km/h but not more. My very problem is to avoid flutter (in fact whole third side heading last tp slight flutter is permanetly present) while trying to get lower than 700m. May be more sensible controlling could help :)

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:45 am

I destroyed a few gliders in the learning process :wink: but I finally did it in 7:39, at 248km/h. I still felt like I lost a few seconds in a couple of spots, so I don't doubt that this is improvable.

Condor thinks I didn't turn the points right, although SeeYou does :roll:

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:29 pm

tinchote wrote:I destroyed a few gliders in the learning process :wink: but I finally did it in 7:39, at 248km/h. I still felt like I lost a few seconds in a couple of spots, so I don't doubt that this is improvable.

Condor thinks I didn't turn the points right, although SeeYou does :roll:
:lol: Had a short look on your flighttrack: you wasn't below 700m at 3. turn point. I don't know what kind of turn points SeeYou accepts, but in Condor you can define windows with minimum and maximum height. Did you switch on turn point helpers in the NOTAM tab in the flightplan setup? Pressing 'j' visualizes turn points and windows! This maximum height of 700m is the (my) very problem at 3. turn point. Without window it would be much easier to finish it with more than 250 km/h.

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Berblinger wrote: :lol: Had a short look on your flighttrack: you wasn't below 700m at 3. turn point. I don't know what kind of turn points SeeYou accepts, but in Condor you can define windows with minimum and maximum height. Did you switch on turn point helpers in the NOTAM tab in the flightplan setup? Pressing 'j' visualizes turn points and windows! This maximum height of 700m is the (my) very problem at 3. turn point. Without window it would be much easier to finish it with more than 250 km/h.
I didn't know that. I improved my speed to 257km/h, but not respecting the "windows", as I didn't know they existed. I'll have to try again :D

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:02 pm

First attempt respecting the windows (by the way, I can see the turn point markers, but not the windows, the markers extend infinitely high).

7:49 at 243.16k/h

It was tough to get below 700 at the last one! :D

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:59 am

tinchote wrote:First attempt respecting the windows (by the way, I can see the turn point markers, but not the windows, the markers extend infinitely high).
ooops :oops: My mistake. As start is of type "window", all other turn points are of type "classic" with restriction in height you certainly can't see any "window" at the turn points. I just see what i expect to see even if it's not present. :oops: But you can easyly enable windows by setting properties in flightplanner. Move the mouse over turn point untill it is highlighted red. Then rightlick and choose properties. In the Dialog switch from type "classic" to "window". Make sure you adjusted max and min height as they are reset when you switch to another type. Don't set up a too narrow window. set width to a minimum of 200m and choose a suitable orientation (direction to fly through).

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:54 pm

Got it. I tried with the little windows, but it was not easy to set them up the right way so I gave up.

Anyway, after a couple more tries with the task I calculated the speed of my best four legs combined, and it adds to 7:36, that would give 250.26 km/h. Still couldn't combine them in one flight, though :(

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:02 pm

tinchote wrote:Got it. I tried with the little windows, but it was not easy to set them up the right way so I gave up.

Anyway, after a couple more tries with the task I calculated the speed of my best four legs combined, and it adds to 7:36, that would give 250.26 km/h. Still couldn't combine them in one flight, though :(
Hey Tinchote, you jokester :wink: :lol: you can't combine the best of your legs. These are the rules: You have to finish the task in all. Not until Condor says something like the following in the statistics of the flight analysis you can be sure having finished the task correctly.

TIMING:
Start time: 11:00:00
Flight time: 00:12:03
Task start: 11:01:40
Task completed OK. :!:
Task time: 00:08:04
Average speed: 235.67 km/h

You only will get comparable results if you observe the rules :!:

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:55 am

Berblinger wrote:
Hey Tinchote, you jokester :wink: :lol: you can't combine the best of your legs. These are the rules: You have to finish the task in all. Not until Condor says something like the following in the statistics of the flight analysis you can be sure having finished the task correctly.

TIMING:
Flight time: 00:12:03
Task start: 11:01:40
Task completed OK. :!:
Task time: 00:08:04
Average speed: 235.67 km/h

You only will get comparable results if you observe the rules :!:
That's why I wrote "Still couldn't combine them in one flight, though". I was just guessing what the maximum possible speed is.

Berblinger

Post by Berblinger » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 am

tinchote wrote:I was just guessing what the maximum possible speed is.
I've got another flightplan. Very fast, very low level. On first leg you can achieve 250 km/h. But on second leg :roll: it's quite tricky. At one point i hardly can manage it, you have to cross leeside turbulences. Try it out. May be you find a better heading. And :wink: no need to mess about with turn points, cause there are only two classical without restriction.
Ciao Berblinger

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:02 am

After a couple more attempts with the short race I got this (only change to the flight plan is that I changed the last turn point to be a window, otherwise I was wasting flights by not being able to read the altimeter accurately):

TIMING:
Flight time: 00:11:22
Task start: 11:02:25
Task completed OK.
Task time: 00:07:45
Average speed: 245.32 km/h

I'll give it a try with the "fast and low" now :)

gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:33 pm

I saw that you have used some thermal. We decided to turn off the thermals, because a good thermal by accidental before entering the task will have too much influence on the average speed.

With thermals on i did 00:07:42 = 246.9 km/h :twisted:

Martin
PY * D-0701
Gliderpilots stay up longer!

tinchote

Post by tinchote » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:08 am

gliderpilot wrote:I saw that you have used some thermal. We decided to turn off the thermals, because a good thermal by accidental before entering the task will have too much influence on the average speed.

With thermals on i did 00:07:42 = 246.9 km/h :twisted:

Martin
Another Martin here :D

I tried again with thermals (as is the original task, anyway), and I got 00:07:32=252.18km/h. I think that it is still possible to go quicker, as I identified at least two moments where I lost time. I'm not so sure how able I am of pulling it all together again :)