Xbox 360 and Playstation 3(with CELL)

To discuss anything related to soaring or not...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

Shtopor

Xbox 360 and Playstation 3(with CELL)

Post by Shtopor » Sun May 15, 2005 1:32 am

Xbox 360 was revealed to public last week: 3 CPUs at 3.2 ghz and
new ATI R500.
Also PS3 is gonna be revealed on May 16s with new CELL processor.
Imagine how much more stuff u could through in this sim with that power.
Phisics for weather, scenari, glider models with shadows(like in LOCON), moving trafic
on roads, imagination is just unlimited. Hope your sales are gonna be good so u can hook to this market for quite time.
So, did u developers look at that as a possibility in future.
I m sure Microsoft or Sony would be interested in one more serious Sim
for their consoles, besides it might take a lot more time for PCs to catch with that kind of console power.
Also it would be just great to play it on 50 inch plasma ( or even maybe LCD)
We have here in Canada around 20 programms on Bell satellite in HDTV,
i might even speed up my decision on bying a new CLD or plasma.
Don't know about Europe in that respect, do u guys have anything in HD?
Rgrds Shtopor.
If brutal force doesn't solve the problem,
then u are not applying enough.

Mister Savage

Post by Mister Savage » Sun May 15, 2005 12:05 pm

Having seen the specs for the 360, I totally agree that Condor would be great on a console. However, I can't ever see it happening...

Serious sims on consoles seem to be limited to car racing games. The market for a serious flight sim, I'd imagine, is very small in comparison. It's frustrating, but there you go. The amount of money it would cost to bring something like this to a console is huge, and probably wouldn't be made back.

There's also the fact that Condor was made by two very dedicated people, who I'd imagine would prefer to continue upgrading the PC version rather than start a long development process for the Xbox 360.

Let's not forget that in order to get published on a console you pretty much have to bow to the whim of your publisher, as well as the console manufacturer - and the chances of Condor remaining such a strong sim are small once Microsoft and EA have put guns on the ASW28...

Shtopor

Post by Shtopor » Sun May 15, 2005 5:03 pm

Here is my view on this:
1. PCs are in stagnation right now. Moores law doesn't work for about 2-3 years.
2.Xbox2 is LOONG WAY faster then AthlonFX55 and it will be for at least
1 or 2 years to come.
3. R500 is approximately 4 times faster (plus it has embedded memory
which enables it to run with Antialiasing and Anisoptropic without hit on
perfomance.
4. Glider sim is niche market and Microsoft ar anyone else will NEVER
even think about producing one.
5. Development of the game or sim is in fact cheaper cause u dont have to
deal with all sorts of compatibility issues and can concetrate on the game
and its a fact.
6. Yes u will have to share some profit with Microsoft or Sony, but they are interested in u just as u are in them, cause its not just game sales but
all those who whould never buy console whould have to do becasue of
superior power and new category of players ( at least glider pilots would
definitely go for it)
7. And main reason is its cheaper than PC ( in fact existing videocard which are slower than Xbox2 will cost u more than Xbox2).

I don't mention that u can automatically patch your game without ever need to wory about anything.

New scenary, planes, objects? Simply send it to developers who will
be incorporating it in pending patch, of which u will be notified once u connect to the net from your console.
Look guys Microsoft are just not after some game console business, they are after the whole gaming and simming comunity.

Only problem her I think is that to create more beutiful and better
siming experince will came at cost of hiring new members to the team
or at least developers leaving their main job and work on this one
all their time instead of time after main work.
Also it takes some courage to change something when everything works
without it. But I m sure that those who does Silent Wings already looking for ways to bring their audience back.
In this business u always have to be on the look out.
Thats is why I hope that good sales will let developers do it with
full time.
Rgrds Shtopor.
If brutal force doesn't solve the problem,
then u are not applying enough.

Mister Savage

Post by Mister Savage » Sun May 15, 2005 7:16 pm

Don't get me wrong, I really hope something like that does happen; but it's not simple. Sometimes a nice market is extremely lucrative, but I'm not sure it's lucrative enough. Who knows? It's a great idea... but someone has to publish games. Developers can rarely afford to publish their own games - it costs hundreds of thousands of pounds on a console to print, distribute, and get it stocked in retailers.

Plus you'd have to market it to make sure your niche knew about it, beyond a few hardcore fans. Even very successful indie developers like Introversion (who did Uplink and Darwinia) still can't bring their games to consoles - and they're better for it, as they are able to concentrate on making better games, rather than making a low cost conversion.

That said, you're right that it would be wonderful to see someone overcome these obstacles. And a game like Condor for next gen consoles would be awesome - but it's likely to remain a fantasy scenario - in my opinion.

Then again, I could be wrong! :D