Your favourite racing plane

To discuss anything related to soaring or not...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

BenFest

Your favourite racing plane

Post by BenFest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi guys,

regardless from Condor, what is your favourite racing plane in real life? If you flew races ever, on which plane did you do it?
Ben Fest
D-2701 - BF

mauheb

Re: Your favourite racing plane

Post by mauheb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

The Arcus for sure. Incredible ship.
Maurits Hebels - (033)

Flightbase

Post by Flightbase » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:20 pm

So far it`s the ASW 27 for me, when it`s about racing. Thats why I bought one :D
The first time you'll get a Microsoft product, that doesn't suck, will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 am

It'll have to be whatever I can afford to buy for my first glider which sadly I don't think will be in what you'd consider to be in the 'competitive' class.

I'd be happy with something like an LS4 alas I think that will be out of budget :(
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Flightbase

Post by Flightbase » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Paul_UK wrote:It'll have to be whatever I can afford to buy for my first glider which sadly I don't think will be in what you'd consider to be in the 'competitive' class.

I'd be happy with something like an LS4 alas I think that will be out of budget :(
Would be sad, if there is no way to improve ;)

If you look for a lot of plane for decent money, try to get a Phoebus C. It`s really low priced but a great (non racing) plane.
I think if you fly more then 80 hours per year, you should try to get an own one. Just to make everything like you want.
The first time you'll get a Microsoft product, that doesn't suck, will be the day they start producing vacuum cleaners.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:25 am

I hope to fly more than 80 hours a year yes however it is weather dependent and I fly at least once a week, sometimes twice. I think my budget will allow me to buy something a little more efficient than the Phoebus C. It may be that I go into a 1/2 share syndicate, this may be my best option if I can find someone suitable to do this with. I'll be chatting with my CFI and he can advise and maybe keep an ear out for me too.

I'm 6'3 with long legs so that needs to be taken into account a little. Now I've flown in a Grob 102 going back into the K13 for further training is awful, it is so cramped for my legs.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

pstrzel

Post by pstrzel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Paul_UK wrote:I hope to fly more than 80 hours a year yes however it is weather dependent and I fly at least once a week, sometimes twice. I think my budget will allow me to buy something a little more efficient than the Phoebus C. It may be that I go into a 1/2 share syndicate, this may be my best option if I can find someone suitable to do this with. I'll be chatting with my CFI and he can advise and maybe keep an ear out for me too.

I'm 6'3 with long legs so that needs to be taken into account a little. Now I've flown in a Grob 102 going back into the K13 for further training is awful, it is so cramped for my legs.
LS3 is well suited for you. I know a guy who looks like you described yourself and he flew one from Utah to South Dakota last year. He set a bunch of local records. He flew more than any other locals last year, all in an LS3.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gl ... -694567559

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am

I had read that some of the LS gliders suit taller pilots hence another reason I was swaying towards them. LS3 may just be out of my budget too, they do not appear to be much different in price over an LS4. With the LS3 I think I read something about the A variant being a fair bit lighter so assume that would be the preferred model?

I can only hope I can cross country at that speed at some point in the future :mrgreen:

Olympia

Post by Olympia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 am

When I was still racing, a good while ago I have to say, my favourite planes were the Olympia 463 and Skylark 4. On days with smaller tighter thermals the 463 was the ship of choice, but on days with big fat Cu the Skylark 4 was better at inter thermal cruising with its longer wings. The 463 had good short field performance for landing out, and was a lot easier to de-rig than the S4, Those Skylark wings!!!

I'm 6ft 2in (skinny) and never had any problems fitting in any wooden ship I came across (and I flew 22 types in my time). The only plastic I have flown was the ASK21 and I didn't find any problems fitting into that. People are getting bigger (better nutrition?) so maybe the designers need to take that into account
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Olympia wrote:When I was still racing, a good while ago I have to say, my favourite planes were the Olympia 463 and Skylark 4. On days with smaller tighter thermals the 463 was the ship of choice, but on days with big fat Cu the Skylark 4 was better at inter thermal cruising with its longer wings. The 463 had good short field performance for landing out, and was a lot easier to de-rig than the S4, Those Skylark wings!!!

I'm 6ft 2in (skinny) and never had any problems fitting in any wooden ship I came across (and I flew 22 types in my time). The only plastic I have flown was the ASK21 and I didn't find any problems fitting into that. People are getting bigger (better nutrition?) so maybe the designers need to take that into account
My first forays were both wooden ships the ASK18 and Skylark 2B

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 am

Olympia wrote:When I was still racing, a good while ago I have to say, my favourite planes were the Olympia 463 and Skylark 4. On days with smaller tighter thermals the 463 was the ship of choice, but on days with big fat Cu the Skylark 4 was better at inter thermal cruising with its longer wings. The 463 had good short field performance for landing out, and was a lot easier to de-rig than the S4, Those Skylark wings!!!

It's my long legs that are more the issue if anything. My brother is 0.5" taller than me but has much shorter legs whereas I have a shorter torso and longer legs. Stature wise I'm around 85kg and athletic build so have no issues on that front. An ASK21 with a panel that sags a little causes me issues but I do fit in the clubs new ASK21 OK and the Grob 102 OK albeit on both the rudder pedals are on the stops but they're comfortable enough. Other than these two types and a K13 I haven't actually sat in any other gliders to date. Once one of the club discus are out again I'll try that, not that a discus is would be within budget anyway :cry:

Sam Borland

Post by Sam Borland » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Mine is Williams W-17 Stinger.
I don't see why we need to work to get profit. My way is playing online. Yeah, it's too bad I can't work and play at the same time. Some things never change.