Release height hand signals

To discuss anything related to soaring or not...

Moderators: Uros, OXO

smithcorp

Release height hand signals

Post by smithcorp » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 am

Probably a silly question, but i was wondering if there are country differences in the hand signals that are used by the wing-runner to tell the tow pilot (as he or she approaches the glider to hook on) the requested tow height?

I have mostly flown from strips that are also used by power a/c and the radio is not used to communicate between the glider and tug. Hand signals (fingers held up) are used to communicate 2,000, or 3,00 or so.

I've never been given a briefing on the signals and have basically copied others, but I know that some Europeans use different fingers to represent 'three' for example (thumb plus first two fingers) compared with Australians and Americans (and maybe Brits) - first three fingers, no thumb. This isn't covered in any of the books I have either.

So, what's the 'proper' way to indicate say 3,000, and 2,500 to the tow pilot using hand signals, if you are a wing-runner in your jurisdiction?

smith

kristoffer

Re: Release height hand signals

Post by kristoffer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 am

In Norway, we always use radio for the communication between the glider and the tug.
We do use handsignals to communicate when on the ground, but thats more about thigtening the towinline etc...

Cheers!
Kristoffer