Appreciating things only once they are gone!

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Icarus

Appreciating things only once they are gone!

Post by Icarus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:18 am

One of the nice things about SB was you could always get a "quick fix", anytime of day or night, you just needed about an hour or so.

The past two weeks I've had a few occasions where I looked for a short race to get my fix.....man, what a heap of shite there is out there right now; every dude and his uncle hosting their idea of soaring fun....ARCADE central! Or if you like you can schmooze around on a free flight server, but it does get boring eventually.....

I live for MNS right now, and can't wait for the next SC season....bring them on!

arn72

Post by arn72 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:11 am

the "unorganized" hosted servers are usually b.s.
the good thing about SB was the good system with automated 24/7 tasks and instant scoring result.
should be possible to recreate i presume..?

Dani

Post by Dani » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 am

There are two factors in this equation:

The server situation and the task setting.
If you are bored by the tasks, you still can fly old SB tasks offline. I don't think you have flown all of them.

The server problem doesn't seem to be a problem, since quite a lot of pilots seem to be able to set up a server.

Those two factors were perfectly combined in SB. What we need are hosts who can cooperate with experienced task setters. If we can share these two factors, there wouldn't be anyone under too much work load. As in SC, the organizer depended heavily on top pilots who were willing to create a task or two.

The only thing a host would need would be the little tools for online scoring, but this obstacle should also be possible to overcome.

Please bring back a 24/7 model - it was simply the best!

Dani

CN: DAW

arn72

Post by arn72 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:13 am

also it is possible starting slowly by maybe running just standard class first.
then there would also be many people flying the tasks wich i think is real fun compared to when 2-3 people are flying.
my thoughts :)

Eugene Williams

Post by Eugene Williams » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:15 am

arn72 wrote:also it is possible starting slowly by maybe running just standard class first.
then there would also be many people flying the tasks wich i think is real fun compared to when 2-3 people are flying.
my thoughts :)
Very good idea, I agree :D
CN: 1EW (Yuji Kataoka)

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Unfortunately I have to agree with Hank. The last two weeks were very hard to find a decent race to fly with others (also because we are away of the mainstream of the european timezone) and I've been forced to fly some strange +15-20m/s ridge tasks with 230km/h avg. speed... :? :roll:

And about flying old SB tasks offline/alone, :lol: , it is even more boring than flying those tasks.

I've noticed that apart from the mainstream timezone in europe, the attendance in the rest of the world is getting lower, and this is very sad :( .

Where are those european night owls when we need them? :lol:

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Tonyh

Post by Tonyh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Rene, you need to watch out for RCB's nightly SB / SBC / AH reruns at around 9:30 - 10:00 pm UTC. Usually a little too late for me when I have work the next morning, but sounds perfect for you

David R

Post by David R » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I've put up a server that is rerunning old SB tasks. I was planning to change the task once a week. I've started slow, running just Standard Class. If the server functions ok I'll add the 18m class. Would like to make it an offical server with scoring but I haven't figured out how to do that. If any one can teach me it would be much appreciated.

DMR

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Tonyh wrote:Rene, you need to watch out for RCB's nightly SB / SBC / AH reruns at around 9:30 - 10:00 pm UTC. Usually a little too late for me when I have work the next morning, but sounds perfect for you
Hi Tonyh

Not that good... unfortunately... 21:30-22:00 UTC = 18:30-19:00 local time, and this is the time I arrive at home, mostly a bit later, 19:30 = 22:30 UTC. When DST begins here (in october, I think) then it will be a little better. Until then I need to hunt the night owls... :D

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP

Strider69

Post by Strider69 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Polewka wrote:
Tonyh wrote:Rene, you need to watch out for RCB's nightly SB / SBC / AH reruns at around 9:30 - 10:00 pm UTC. Usually a little too late for me when I have work the next morning, but sounds perfect for you
Hi Tonyh

Not that good... unfortunately... 21:30-22:00 UTC = 18:30-19:00 local time, and this is the time I arrive at home, mostly a bit later, 19:30 = 22:30 UTC. When DST begins here (in october, I think) then it will be a little better. Until then I need to hunt the night owls... :D

Cya
I will run the server for 23 hours, First filght will be shown on the forum with the original result's where possible. :wink:
Basil Fawlty (RCB)

Polewka

Post by Polewka » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Thx Baz

I hope there will be others willing to fly at this time, because, as I said before, flying alone isn't the most exciting thing to do in a (hot) winter night here (18-20ºC)... 8)

Cya
René
Team Brasil
PT-REP