Badges and Diplomas

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Gauthier

Badges and Diplomas

Post by Gauthier » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:54 am

I like the idea of doing some basic tasks.
I think beginners, and maybe the others, will find there the joy that the advanced virtual pilots find in the different cups hosted presently without the frustation induced by the difficulty.

Consult this link to know the different tasks I speak about:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/badges/

I will try to host the 50km part of the Silver badge these days around 2230-2300 GMT.
To reproduce the difficulty I know more or less about this kind of task here in Belgium, only FOX will be allowed (We use oldtimers) and in thermal conditions.
Thus, learn your map carefully, and work your sensations because there is no audio vario.
The turnpoint helper is activated on 20 km and there are 3TP: Start, intermediate TP (at 25 km) and Finish.
So there are little parts without help.

Interested?
Say it here!

P.S.
It will be a BETA task to evaluate the difficulty.
I would like to implement an "official" database "Hitzi-like" in the future to record the data.
If Hitzi is able to offer that,... ;-)
But I need also some good pilots to help me to set difficulty.

Aussiewalrus

Post by Aussiewalrus » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:25 pm

I believe that the Silver C requirement is acually for a 50km leg so it will need to be 100km if you are doing out and return. Or you could just do one way
Tom
Reg-#: G-TOM
Comp-#: TW

Raz

Post by Raz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:39 pm

SSA has a listing as well.

FAI Silver Badge
The FAI Silver Badge involves 3 required elements. Silver Altitude is a 1,000-meter (3,281-foot) altitude gain above an in-flight low point; Silver Duration is a 5-hour flight time after tow release and Silver Distance is a 50-km (31.07-mile) cross country flight.

FAI Gold Badge
The FAI Gold Badge involves 2 required elements. Gold Altitude is a 3,000-meter (9,843-foot) altitude gain above an in-flight low point; Gold Distance is a 300-km (186.42-mile) cross country flight.

FAI Diamond Badge
The FAI Diamond Badge involves 3 required elements. Diamond Altitude is a 5,000-meter (16,404-foot) altitude gain above an in-flight low point; Diamond Goal is a 300-km (186.42-mile) cross country flight using a pre-declared Out and Return or Triangle course; Diamond Distance is a 500-km (310.7-mile) cross country flight.

Wouldnt it be easier to do this offline and just send in the track file for confirmation? Also maybe create some icons that can be placed along with the forum users name and avator so everyone can see what they have accomplished?

Of course, this is just a suggestion. :wink:
Raz

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:19 pm

Raz, I was also thinking about it. I do not recommend establish these badges off line, because you can use P - pause, use a helpers atc. But I had a idea, that if more people will be interesting about it, we can establish server with these tasks with real wheather (no bombastic, of course) on-line, with "inspectors", and pilots which will finish FAI task can be award by these "FAI jury group". We will also need for it web pages with result of these award. But I am not sure how many people are interesting about it.

Raz

Post by Raz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Cadfael wrote:Raz, I was also thinking about it. I do not recommend establish these badges off line, because you can use P - pause, use a helpers atc. But I had a idea, that if more people will be interesting about it, we can establish server with these tasks with real wheather (no bombastic, of course) on-line, with "inspectors", and pilots which will finish FAI task can be award by these "FAI jury group". We will also need for it web pages with result of these award. But I am not sure how many people are interesting about it.
Cad, I agree with your statement.

Maybe just offer a server for each task instead of running several servers at one time. Possible asking for those who wish to partcipate and then have a password only server set for the task.

I dont see why no one should go for this, its just as fun as doing LL.
Raz

Cadfael

Post by Cadfael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:58 pm

I could participate if more people will be interesting about this project, but now I have strong depression, because I outlanded during Lowland cup after 60km... :)

Raz

Post by Raz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:20 pm

Cadfael wrote:I could participate if more people will be interesting about this project, but now I have strong depression, because I outlanded during Lowland cup after 60km... :)
LOL, I will trade you your 60km outland for six of my tree clippings I have done since I started to fly. :wink: :lol:
Raz

borisbr.

Post by borisbr. » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:21 am

I'm curtainly interested in having 'official' condor badges and diploma's. It sounds like a lot of fun trying to accomplish getting them. It kinda gives you a goal to work on. Greets,

Boris
I hate it when gravity works too hard....

The Netherlands
Reg#: PH-1272
Comp#: WB1

Simicro

Post by Simicro » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:35 pm

Thierry BOD1 created a Condor badges and diplomas system !

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopic.php?t=4721

master

Post by master » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi,

you have one vote from me.
Krešimir Hrastovec

Post by 66 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 pm

a bit OFF, but

What is the difference between RL "Silver C with 3 Diamonds" and " Gold C with 3 Diamonds"? Its a Diamonds badge, but why not called on name?

Some international competitions shows these in pilots profile, others only shows "gold" or "diamond".

:?:

thermal

Post by thermal » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 pm

In RL, the "Silver C" badge is granted by National Aeroclubs, when a candidate proves to have gained 1000 meters altitude, 5 hours of continous flight, and a 50 kilometer un-aided cross country flight, certified by an Official Observer.

The "Gold" badge is awarded by the FAI, upon completion of 3000 meter altitude gain, 5 hours continous flight and a 300 km free distance flight.
On that Gold badge, you can earn Diamonds.
1 for 5000 meters altitude gain,
1 for 500 km free distance, and another
1 for a 300 km pre-declared target flight.

In Condor, these requirements may look easy, but the real world is... different. :?
For instance, in large parts of the world it's impossible to gain 3000 meters altitude, let alone 5000 meters.
In my country, when the cloud base rises to 1500 meters, that's considered a very good day. :D
500 km distance tasks are sometimes possible, but generally keep you busy for the best part of the day, so if you make it, you realy earned that diamond.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"

Post by 66 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 pm

It's OK, a have the silver in RL.

Just don't know what is different between the silver c 3 diamonds and the gold c 3 diamonds...

if you have silver C and the three diamonds it is a diamond badge, and you have gold too because of the 300km goal flight.

:? :?:

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:13 pm

I can't remember having seen "Silver Diamond" in FAI diploma pages, only "Silver", then "Gold", then "Diamonds". Maybe it's an old badge?
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

thermal

Post by thermal » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 pm

I seem to remember that in the old times, where qualifying for the Silver badge was regarded as quite an achievement, pilots who obtained their altitude diamond were allowed to wear it on their Silver badge.
In those days it was common pratice to wait for a nice thunderstorm, take off, and be sucked up right to the top of the CB cloud.

That is, if the glider didn't desintegrate on its way up, so getting back in one piece was still an achievement. :wink:
300 km, let alone 500 km for the other diamonds, had never been done before....

Today, with our modern gliders, nobody bothers about diamonds on Silver badges anymore and head straight for Gold.
Reg: PH-7270
Cn: "ZA"