VGCC

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Pit_R

VGCC

Post by Pit_R » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:34 am

The "Virtual German Championship of Club Class" (VGCC) is a reflight (4 days) of the Club class championship in Moenchsheide (Germany) which took place in August 2017. The intention of VGCC is, to be a Condor competition close to reality. The weather (is tuned up a little) is not record suspicious but good enough for successful x-country flying. You can expect averages from 1.5 m/s to 2.5 m/s, but cloudbases are below 1500 m. So you must find the right balance between risk and caution. Some of the tasks will be AATs. It is a real challenge and hopefully a great fun for every pilot who appreciates realistic tasks.

To make the final approaches more safety VGCC uses a finish ring (like the real competition). The minimal altitude for entering the finish sector (circle, radius 3 km) is 500 m above MSL (mean sea level). The airfield height is 213 m, that means you should make your final approach with an arrival height about 300 m (maybe a little smaller, because final glide is 3 km shorter).

If you use the HD version of 'West Germany 2' you should reduce the 'Visibility distance' to 'medium' to avoid blue screen. For more details look into the 'Readme' file of the scenery.

Datas:

Scenery: West Germany 2
Class: Club
Scoring: Best 3 of 4 racing days, 1000 pts for the daily winner
Duration: From February 8th 2017 to March 1st (every Thursday)
Time: 20 CET, 30 min Jointime, 1 min RaceIn Time

Register at condor-club.eu
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

Fox9

Re: VGCC

Post by Fox9 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Some Remarks to Task 1 of VGCC

The tasks of VGCC are based upon the realistic weather of the real task, which was flown in August, 20th 2017. The OLC database of this day (https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/g ... NH1&filter) shows the uploaded IGCs with start from airfield Moenchsheide. Click on 'i' on the right side and look into an IGC. You can see, that a heigth of about 1600 m could be achieved. That means a cloudbase of 1400 m (with 200m airfield heigth). On every IGC you see a link to 'TopMeteo - Weather charts'. There you can find wind datas and a satellite picture. I considered this datas for the Condor task. In the RL competition the task was an AAT (only 2 pilots finished). I shorten the distance by moving TP2 to north and used it as normal racing task. The average climbrates in the IGCs are very poor, too poor for Condor (I think). I have improved it a little, so that Condor pilots have a good chance, to finish.

In this competition the cloud bases are below 1500 m, but what does a low cloudbase mean? Many pilots think, that it increases the probability of an outland. But a low cloudbase means also that there are more clouds and this compensates the risk of outlanding. Pilots need some more lifts. This make the races more exciting. I hope, you have enjoyed Day 1.

Day 2 will be an AAT with a Tmin of 2 hours.

mauheb

Post by mauheb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Could be fun to have a short task in really bad conditions. Blue, inversion as low as possible, lots of wind, weak thermals. Looking forward to the gaggle :p
Maurits Hebels - (033)

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm

In VGCC are no tasks for masochists.

mauheb

Post by mauheb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Don't think that masochist is the right term :shock: . Prefer to see it as challenging. Teamwork in such a task could really pay off
Maurits Hebels - (033)

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello!

As there are problems with official C1 serverlist - please use Hitzi's alternative list to join to today's VGCC task:

http://condor.hitziger.net/serverlist/

Thank you!

to send me a PM.

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:03 pm

A Remark to AAT Time exceeding

If wind is zero and and lifts produce always constant climbrates you can calculate the average speed of a glider. If you start and finish at same height you get the MacCready average speed. In the AAT of Day2 we start in about 1500 m height and finish in 500 m, so we have 1000 m bonus. If we assume a thermal strength of 2 m/s we save 500 sec. This will increase our average speed. If the distance is short, then profit is high, if distance is long the profit decreases. The question is, 'How much the average speed will decrease, if we exceed our Tmin time?'.

The mathematical formular for calculating the speed V depending from flighttime T, climbrate St and difference between start- and finish height (dH) is:

V = VR * (1 + (dH/St)/T)
where VR is the MacCready average speed. The time T must calculated in seconds.

The MacCready average speed of a LS4 at 2 m/s climbrate is 86.4 km/h. A LS4, which finished in T=120 minutes, achieves a speed about 92.4 km/h. If it finished in T=150 minutes the speed is only 91.2 km/h. From scoretable you can see, that 1 km/h difference means 15.1 points this means a total loss of 18.1 points.
Last edited by Fox9 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:54 am

On March 1st we fly an AAT with Tmin=2 hours. It is the last competition day. Good luck to all. Enjoy it.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

If there would be problems with official serverlist - please use Hitzi's alternative list to join to today's VGCC task:

http://condor.hitziger.net/serverlist/

Thank you!

to send me a PM.

Fox9

Post by Fox9 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

Winners of VGCC (Virtual German Championship of Club Class)

1. Alexander Kupper (ADK) with 2847.93 Pts
2. Stefan Bach (SCR) with 2842.16 Pts
3. Piotr Raczynski (PIT) with 2775.52 Pts
4. Mihaly Knausz (KMI) with 2774.42 Pts
5. Frank Schwerdtfeger (O9) with 2756.26 Pts

Complete result list on https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/globals ... 1/?&id=294

Congratulations to the winners and a great thank to all who participated.

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 am

Hello all!
It is really surprise to me that I am 3rd overall! :)

I was:
day 1 - 6 pos.
day 2 - 12 pos.
day 3 - didn't fly
day 4 - 3 pos.

Looks like finishing tasks was the key in my case. ;)

Congratulations to WD, the winner (by KO) of day 4 AAT. To overall VGCC top 5 and of course to all who were flying with us! It wasn't easy. ;)
Hope you'll join to another refly of RL competitions we plan to make soon.
Thank you for participating!

Below detailed results of day 4 (including not scored F9) [click to resize]:

vgcc_4.jpg
Data: ShowCondorIGC

And the postcard... ;)

Shot119_pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

to send me a PM.