Beastly Soaring 2018

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

BeastFromTheEast

Beastly Soaring 2018

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Happy New Year, fellow Beasts.

I would like to start Beastly Soaring again this Wednesday (10th January) and back to Tuesday nights thereafter.

Haven't quite evolved the task yet but ..... I have taken the Systems:OFF concept one step further and removed the barber pole turning point markers as well as the PDA ( :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: ). The TP radius is still 3000 metres but all TPs (apart from the finish) will be 360 degrees, so provided you are within the radius you can photograph it from any angle. The task briefing will include photographs of each TP and grid references so you can have a look on Google maps: I might also provide a few handy hints en route.

Scenery will be SE UK ... make sure you have applied the patch. I will put the task on .eu as well, so if anyone wants to fly with the barberpoles or with (!) the PDA enabled, they can edit the task to suit.

I will see you at 1900h Wednesday :)

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

Andy1248

Re: Beastly Soaring 2018

Post by Andy1248 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Ooo Happy New Year and Happy New Thread. Sounds like an interesting and challenging task. See you soon.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

If I'm not on daddy day care (have a 1 month old) or chef duties I'll try to be there. Never flown a task taking pics of the TP though so it could well end up being a failure :lol:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 am

It is how we used record tasks years ago. No worries about if it goes wrong, this more fun, less seriousness tasks.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I read the other thread from 2017. Task will be posted on here 1 hour prior to starting yes?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:

BeastFromTheEast

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Paul_UK wrote:I read the other thread from 2017. Task will be posted on here 1 hour prior to starting yes?
The task map will appear in this thread ~1 hour before I put the server online. In this case there will be a few other attachments which will be the course notes and photographs of the turning points. I would suggest either printing these out or putting them on a laptop / tablet or a second PC monitor.

I can put the server online briefly before time ... if you have not flown on one before.

Ian

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Ian.

I've flown on servers before. I use DSHelper to create them myself at times. Understand what I'll have to do now. I was wondering how it'd work picking out the TPs and thought we have to use real charts. I might try that for a laugh anyway seeing as I have one :mrgreen: So probably advisable that no one follow me.

Cheers
Paul

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Paul here is a link to page 1 of the first thread:

http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewtopi ... =5&t=16605

Which gives details of the TeamSpeak login.

We also have a server password which I will Pm to you.
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks Andy. I take the password mentioned in that original thread is no longer the one to be used as that isn't working for me on TS. I'll wait for your PM.

Edit. I've sorted it now. I was using the wrong address to connect to TS.

Cheers
Paul

BeastFromTheEast

Task 10 01 18

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Task map, people:
Systems Off SEUK 162k.jpg
Any glider allowed. As discussed, no PDA or TP markers. Course notes to follow, see you 1900h.

Ian

EDIT: unfortunately a couple of the pictures wouldn't place inline, for some reason, but they should still download if clicked on.
EDIT2: http://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=11118 edit to enable PDA and TP helpers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BeastFromTheEast on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeastFromTheEast

task 10 01 18 course notes part 1

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Aerotow start
10 01 18 start small.jpg
Start: the tug will take you over the village of Uckfield: the starting point is the A22 / A26 roundabout north of the village. Bear NNE once started towards the North Kent coast
TP1 Sawyer's Lake.jpg
TP1 Sawyer's Lake, Gravesend. On the way to Gravesend you will pass over Crowhurst, Royal Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge, and the eastbound M20. By this stage you should be able to see South-East London off to the left: fly roughly parallel to the M25 motorway. Approaching Sawyer's Lake, you should be able to see Tilbury Docks on the other side of the Thames: do not get confused with the larger lake off to the west (left of picture). Once turned, follow the Thames over the Dartford Crossing and into the East End of London.
TP2 Royal Greenwich Observatory 5km.jpg
TP2: Royal Observatory, Greenwich. This is a small white building in a large park. The main landmark is the Millenium Dome which is off to the north. En route you will see London City Airport and the Thames Barrage. If you see any of the London bridges you have gone too far west. Once turned, head just west of north: the next turning point should be visible almost straightaway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BeastFromTheEast on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeastFromTheEast

task 10 01 18 course notes part 2

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:37 pm

TP3 Banbury Reservoir.jpg
TP3: Banbury Reservoir. There are several large reservoirs which run from the East End up to the edge of North London. The one you want is the Banbury reservoir, indicated above. Once turned, head ENE over north-east London and out over the M25 into Essex. Once visible, follow the A12 dual carriageway from the M25 junction 28 out to Chelmsford.
TP4 Hatfield Peverel Methodist Church.jpg
TP4: Hatfield Peverel Methodist Church. This is located after Bury Lane on the Street, In Hatfield Peverel. H-P is the second village on the A12 after you fly over Chelmsford. The first is Boreham which looks similar but has a large (disused) airfield off to the north-west. once turned, follow the A12 further north east to the outskirts of Colchester.
Shot375.jpg
Finish: Wormingford. The airfield is located to the west of Colchester. While following the A12 watch for the Marks Tey interchange and then head directly north to acquire the airfield. It is not the easiest thing to pick out but the tree-lined main road to the west and the sandy yellow watercourse from the north-west are good reference points

All turning points are 360 degrees / 3000m radius so can be shot with the left wing from any direction. Finish line is 180 degrees so approach from the south (EDIT: I checked and it was 90 degrees. It will be 180 for the next one).

Ian
Last edited by BeastFromTheEast on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeastFromTheEast

Task 10 01 18

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm

All gliders ASG-29

BeastFromtheEast 01:07:12 144.30 km/h
Paul P78 01:14:01 131.00 km/h
Andy1248 01:21:13 119.40 km/h

Despite people's misgivings about having both the PDA and TP helpers switched off, and some oddities about Ringmer, no-one actually got lost en route.

I am looking at repeating the formula next week: Paul is working towards his Silver distance (in real-life) and has requested a similar task on SEUK, including airspace. Thinking cap is on ... :)

Ian

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for hosting on Wednesday gone, it was fun. If Andy and I had started high too we'd have been chomping on your heals Ian :mrgreen:

I guess that is why some tasks have a max alt to start but this would be very tricky to impose when flying without a PDA.

As for next weeks task I just realised that Lasham to Membury isn't quite 50km. The start would have to be over Alton (few km to SE of Lasham). Maybe ALT-MEM-CBN-LA7 (122km). Another possibility would be LA7-ABD-SAN-LA7 (150km).

I'll fly this task in my trusty yellow LS4 with no ballast. To fly my 50km I'll be using a club Grob102 or Discus B and the LS4 is comparable with the Discus B. I will not use ballast. I guess to make it harder the ASW15 could be flown, I would think that is comparable to the Grob102. My preference will be to take the Discus for my first x-country flight however. It just flies nicer and it's performance is better. Hopefully it won't take me too long to complete compared to you boys flying in the fast ships!

White is so boring, yellow is so much better :mrgreen:

BeastFromTheEast

Tonight's task

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am

Like the LS-4 colour scheme Paul :)

Unfortunately I am having to postpone tonight's task to next week. My mother was found unresponsive at home on Saturday morning and remains in hospital, although we have some hope of her being discharged tomorrow.

Ian
Last edited by BeastFromTheEast on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.