At what skill level to begin multiplayer racing?

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

benethridge

At what skill level to begin multiplayer racing?

Post by benethridge » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:42 am

Hi. In real life I'm a newly minted commercial glider pilot and was also a CFI for several years. I own a PW5, so I downloaded the PlanePack1 and fly the PW5 exclusively in Condor.

I've now flown several of the cross country tasks successfully (with the default weather and without turning on the thermal helper), and want to begin online multiplayer racing, but I don't want to mess up the race for other more experienced glider pilots.

Are there novice races I can join? If not, what reasonable skills should I acquire before joining one of the regular races?

Ben

phil_delaine

Re: At what skill level to begin multiplayer racing?

Post by phil_delaine » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi,
"Condor Café - Easy Flights" seems to have the good label for you :=)
Have a nice flight.
Join Condor Café at http://condor-velivole.eu/

BeastFromTheEast

Post by BeastFromTheEast » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

if you are UK or within a couple of time zones, I was thinking of running a few more Beastly Soaring tasks between now and Christmas. You are most welcome to join us.

Ian
You can take the Beast from the East
But never the East from the Beast
Beastly Soaring - Tuesday nights, on the ServerOfTheBeast
Competition number IFC, aircraft registration number G-CHQR

benethridge

Post by benethridge » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks, all!

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:25 pm

BeastFromTheEast wrote:if you are UK or within a couple of time zones, I was thinking of running a few more Beastly Soaring tasks between now and Christmas. You are most welcome to join us.

Ian
The Beastly soaring nights really are a fun and not too competitive. The key thing is to have some fun and a laugh.

We are on TeamSpeak as well:

voice.teamspeak.com

Look for the 'server of the beast'
Condor CN = E20

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 am

I joined a server last week which was full, not sure which race it was but there were two servers and both were full. It was my first time in what I class as a race and it was great fun. When I left the server I was 12th place with only 1min difference between 7th to 12th so I was happy with that. Think I was around 7mins behind 1st place though. As you've flown gliders you know the rules of the sky so just go join in the fun. If you get into a gaggle that helps too. That said I think there was a 3nm range for seeing other gliders set. It might be worth understanding about the final glide and how to use the GPS in the glider. That's one part I'm not experienced on at all, I know what a final glide is but I'm unsure on margins and what all the numbers on the instrument mean, something I must read up on. I scraped over the line though and still had enough energy to climb safely to turn and land. I did notice most were in the ASG29 however and I chose to fly the Ventus2CX for a change.

My real time experience so far is 48hours P1 plus my training hours which I can't recall, maybe around 40 to 45 hours. I've got my Bronze but still to fly my nav test (doing that this winter) so no cross country endorsement yet. I have my silver height and silver / gold duration. In short I am quite inexperienced and have never flown cross country for real though I do feel ready for it now so roll on next spring :mrgreen:

I'd say don't be afraid to join any races. It's online, you can't break anything even if you do push a little too hard after all.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

sadatoni

Post by sadatoni » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 am

I picked up Condor back last March. Never flew a glider, nor airplane (thought I did fly paragliders 20-some years ago). After a couple of months of creating my own tasks, I started joining contests. Been great fun ever since.
N5503T CN(0OU)

John Ferguson