Appropriate level competition for newbie pilot?

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

johanp

Appropriate level competition for newbie pilot?

Post by johanp » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:59 pm

So in real life, I went solo for the first time a few months ago - and a week or so back I started using Condor. And I decided to join AlpenPokal 2015, which makes 250-300km tasks in the alps.

This was a mistake - today was day 3, and I have yet to finish a task. Twice I ended up trapped in a dead-end valley and crashing. Clearly, I need to get to know the Alps a lot better before trying such big flights there.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative where I'll learn something instead of just failing to finish the task every time?

sir_clive

Re: Appropriate level competition for newbie pilot?

Post by sir_clive » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I'd just take shorter tasks for the beginning, it doesn't really matter where (Alps or not). In Condor, the race can also be flown without actually knowing the area where the race takes place, that's where the PDU (map view) comes extremely handy. Sure, from time to time one gets stuck in a downwind area without a chance of getting out, but that's life. :)

Just pick a race starting soon, with a few people already connected, and have fun. If you crash, you can start the race many times over. Even if you fly on your own, without other participants - quite a few races are also defined on "Condor Club", uploading your results puts you on the score list, so that you can compare your skills with other people. It's not such a fun as flying with other people, but it's still nice.

Have fun! :)

cowtreat

Re: Appropriate level competition for newbie pilot?

Post by cowtreat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:47 am

Hi, I'm a newbie too. I'd like to fly with another newbie. I like to fly in western Canadian scenery but I'll get any scenery you like to fly in too.
I'm joining a glider club this spring and I'm having fun with this sim.
I live in Banff, Alberta, Canada
Chris