Utah scenery online compatibility issues

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

pstrzel

Utah scenery online compatibility issues

Post by pstrzel » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:25 am

During testing today it has come to my attention that users may be kicked by the server because of "incompatibility" in the Utah scenery. :cry:

This is due to this "feature" that I included with the scenery download: Forests_OFF.bat and Forests_ON.bat in the main Utah folder. By default forests are turned ON in the scenery, but if a task setter has created a task with the forests turned OFF, users who have them ON will be kicked off the server. Naturally, the opposite will also be true.

This feature was meant to help real-life pilots scout the HD terrain without being impeded by unrealistic looking trees, but as far as the server is concerned using these batch files changes the version of the scenery. After all, it switches between 2 different Utah.for files. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The simple workaround is not to make online tasks with forests turned OFF, since most users will be using the default ON condition. Alternatively, the batch files may be used to switch compatibility to reconnect to the server... Argh!

P.S. There are no issues with uploads to Condor-club using either "version".

Capricorne

Re: Utah scenery online compatibility issues

Post by Capricorne » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi,
On my sever I use Your Fpl : "http://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=8176". I suppose you did the Fpl with Forest_ON ?
But from my other PC , I can enter the server with forests_ON or OFF .
On Server the forest is set on Forest_ON.
will have to take a look at Forest_OFF on server PC ...
Capricorne - S67

pstrzel

Post by pstrzel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:44 am

Actually, I created that task with forests OFF, I uploaded it to Condor-club and then used it to test my server (USA NUTSO). I became concerned when I saw someone get kicked off. That's when I switched my scenery back to ON and also got kicked off and realized what the problem was.

I saw your server online and I joined without a problem with forests ON and I flew the entire task (http://www.condor-club.eu/analysis/0/?rank=432828). I thought perhaps you re-saved the fpl on your computer. If you did then that would explain why there was no issue. But, on the other hand if you didn't have problems with either forests ON or OFF, then I'm confused :?: :? .

For most part I don't think this issue will come up a whole lot. It seems that Utah isn't terribly popular and most people will not mess with the batch files anyway.

Capricorne

Post by Capricorne » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi,
Some thing is not right with the ".bat".. :oops:
Use 2 time "Trees_Off" (accidentally or not) starting with tree in Utah.for...?? and you have no more the original "Utah_trees.for"
I didn't see in "Canyonlands Deliverance" .... that I had NO trees in all case. I could see the problem starting in Nephi... :)

If I manually restore the trees out of Utah.zip, I have also the problem for entering my server.
Will do the same on server , so it's sure I have trees,on both PC.
The fpl Is a direct download from CC to server...
Capricorne - S67

pstrzel

Post by pstrzel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Capricorne wrote:Hi,
Some thing is not right with the ".bat".. :oops:
Use 2 time "Trees_Off" (accidentally or not) starting with tree in Utah.for...?? and you have no more the original "Utah_trees.for"
I didn't see in "Canyonlands Deliverance" .... that I had NO trees in all case. I could see the problem starting in Nephi... :)

If I manually restore the trees out of Utah.zip, I have also the problem for entering my server.
Will do the same on server , so it's sure I have trees,on both PC.
The fpl Is a direct download from CC to server...
If you right click on the file, then "edit", you see that this is what the Forests_ON.bat file does:

Code: Select all

ren Utah.for Utah_no_trees.for
ren Utah_trees.for Utah.for
so now Utah_trees.for is gone and replaced by Utah.for, while the original Utah.for is renamed to Utah_no_trees.for as backup

Forests_OFF.bat file reverses the process:

Code: Select all

ren Utah.for Utah_trees.for
ren Utah_no_trees.for Utah.for
So when you're flying with forests you have 2 files: Utah.for (current) & Utah_no_trees.for (backup),
and when you're flying without forests you have these files: Utah.for (current) & Utah_trees.for (backup)

So don't worry about manually replacing any files that seem missing, they're just renamed by the batch file.

:)