Windows 8.1 - flight tracks and server list issues

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Spirals

Windows 8.1 - flight tracks and server list issues

Post by Spirals » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:51 am

Hi all

Sorry to have to ask but I have run out of brain cells and need some help in sorting what I hope are the last 2 issues of a computer changeover.

I have copied all my Condor folder (just over 64GB!) from Sony laptop running Windows 7 to a Dell All-in-one running Windows 8.1.

The miracle is that Condor runs, both plane packs have been re-activated ok - the Logitech joystick, TrackIR and Teamspeak 3 are all running.

The graphics seem amazing in Freeflight, however, clicking on a server from the Condor server list no longer starts Condor up, I just get the message copied below:

---------
The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (cndr) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.
----------
Presumably there is a fix which I've presumably used before and forgotten about?

The other issue is the age old one about flight tracks and I have forgotten how I sorted this is in W7. In W7 they were eventually always saved automatically to the flight tracks folder in Condor and this was instantly located from the Condor Club browse button when uploading tracks. In W8.1 they are going into the virtual store again.

Anyone know how I can replicate the previous system so it happens the same way in W8.1?

Thanks in anticipation for any help. Only 4 days to SBC!!!!!!!

Steve

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Windows 8.1 - flight tracks and server list issues

Post by EDB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:26 pm

You have to assign the Condor.exe action to the cndr type file in Firefox options.

Or use : CondorStartHelp

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks for trying to help EDB - much appreciated, but still not able to connect to a server.

I have tried to use CondorStartHelp but either I am using it incorrectly (always likely) or it doesn't work the way it was designed in W8.1. It says 'Registry values recreated' but when re-run still has current status as 'could not read the registry value' and the link from the servers list still produces the same dead end result in Firefox, IE and Hitziger's server list.

Using IE to connect from the servers list it asks if I want to open an app on the computer. Using 'Allow' it tells me that 'No apps are installed to open this type of link (cndr)' and the opportunity to look for an app in the store doesn't help because Condor is not listed there.

Trying to connect from Condor Club's server list produced the same response and using Hitziger's own lovely server list just tells me 'No apps are installed to open this type of link (cndr).

Firefox options does not seem to allow me to add download actions as it isn't giving the option to 'open with'.

Could the issue be that I copied the whole Condor file over and didn't install it from scratch?

If there was a way of finding out a server's IP address and then might it be possible to gain entry from Condor/Multiplayer directly?

Steve

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 pm

You have to go to Firefox Options > Applications and then browse for the 'cndr' Content Type.
For that Content Type you have to assign an 'Action' by manually search for the Condor.exe and assign it.
Or you assign the CondorStartHelp.exe...

In a normal situation this will be done when you install Condor. But you haven't installed Condor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EDB on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Have you tried it logged in as the administrator?

A quick way around the problem is to use Hitziger's server list, in its options under 'condor start' check the 'copy the new server IP to the clipboard' make sure condor is running select your server as normal then go to condor's multiplayer tab & paste the IP address.

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks EDB and Freebird

I am the administrator but Firefox doesn't seem to want to allow or enable me to add other applications/connections in its Options.

I now have Condor on 2 computers so was going to use the other to access a server and discover the wanted IP address and enter it manually in Multiplayer on the Dell, but Freebird's suggestion would be quicker so I'll use that for now - again many thanks to Hitziger.

My last thought is to temporarily rename the Condor folder produced when copying everything over, copy the Condor CD to a memory stick, load that on to the Dell (no CD/DVD drive), empty the new Condor folder that then produces and copy back in all the folders and files from their temporary renamed folder.

Perhaps having 'loaded' Condor the Dell will then recognise the 'cndr' connection - wishful thinking probably, but we will see.

Thanks again
Steve

uxbridge

Post by uxbridge » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I had exactly the same problem like you. Web browser needs certain registry entries to know that condor.exe has to be started after clicking the item and where the file is located.
I had even found how those entries should look like but creating them manually using regedit didn't help much. Then I did the simplest thing. I renamed existing (copied) Condor folder, then installed the game from scratch. It created proper registry entries. Then I deleted the folder with the new installation and renamed the previous folder back to its original name (\Condor). I don't remember if I had to enter registration keys for the game and PP's again. Possibly. All started to work. My default web browser is Chrome though.

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Sorted :D

First off I used Freebird's hint on Hitziger's Server List and got that to show the chosen server's IP address and copied that to the manually opened Condor's Multi-player page under host address and that worked fine - this might help others as a short term fix.

I then did as set out in 'My last thought' above and Uxbridge's suggestion.

Took no time at all and worked a treat. Didn't even need to re-use the activation keys again.

EDB, thanks for your suggestions and the time it took iro Firefox - I'm now pretty sure that as I'd copied Condor in and not loaded it from scratch there wouldn't have been the option to add the instruction in options. As soon as I clicked to enter the server's list from the Condor site home page it asked me to sort out the 'Launch Application'.

If anyone is opting to transfer to W8.1 then I would recommend this method as it brings over all you had previously and saves you having to work out all the tweaks and add ons (especially maps, instruments, et al) from goodies. I used an Easy Transfer for Windows cable (from Dell) due to the size of Condor folder and that helped. No doubt there are cheaper methods but as you can see I need all the help I can get.

I will see you in SBC and am being prepared to be thrashed (again).

Many thanks
Steve

Maddin91

Post by Maddin91 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Steve,

for the FTRs:
From Windows 7 on, all folders in the "Program Files (x86)" on the Windows partition can't be modified after they are created by the installer setup. So all individual files like pilot logbook, settings, ftrs, screenshots and so on will go into "C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Condor\"

To change that, proceed as follows:
Open C:\Program Files(x86), search the Condor folder, right click it, choose properties.
Select the Tab "Security". It looks like this:

Now click the first item in the upper box, then click "Edit" (the button between the upper and the lower box).
Now tick all items in the lower box.
Repeat for all items in the upper box, so whatever you select in the upper box, all items in the lower box will be ticked.
Klick "Apply" and "Ok" once it's finished.

Now go to the virtual store folder of Condor, cut everything and paste it into the regular Condor folder.
Eventually delete the virtual store Condor folder.
That's it. Now all individual files like FTRs and screenshots go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Condor.

Regards,
Martin
Martin L. | Reg: D-2101 | CN: MAL
Scenery producer - West Germany 3

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Martin

Many thanks for that which I'll try later when I'm back at home.

Hopefully that will be the final issue and it will be resolved ok.

Steve

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Martin

That seems to have worked a treat and the instructions were very clear.

Embarrassing though typing 'YourUserName' a couple of times and wondering what was wrong, but then I found the 'Any' button and all was ok :-)

I must have done something wrong as I lost the joystick settings but now I've sorted that all should be good to go.

Many thanks to all that helped and hopefully the above can be used by others who wander (blunder) unknowingly into a similar situation.

Regards and thanks again
Steve

P.S. Your new West Germany 2 scenery looks really good and you did warn that W8.1 didn't handle it well. The frame rate on-line last night was only 15 to 16 FPS under Windows 8.1 with my current settings and therefore not smooth at all with TrackIR (for comparison Slovenia HD runs at 70-80 FPS with the same high settings for me). I only had chance to try it for a few minutes then and will try and tweak/downgrade my settings to see if it increases the FPS rate sufficiently as I am sure it will be popular and it would be great to be able to use it more.

Edit added 10-12-2014: I have since found similar poor frame rates on Provence 2 (in the 20's from ground level and less than 6 low down on final glide despite 180+ high up above the mountains). As Slovenia HD is a HD scenery and I copied it from my previous computer it may already have had BOD1's texture reducer applied (at least once) so that it ran better on that machine - so not a fair comparison with WG2. I will investigate further but need to check out Alps XL for Thursday night first :D

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:05 pm

"...Then I did the simplest thing. I renamed existing (copied) Condor folder, then installed the game from scratch. It created proper registry entries. Then I deleted the folder with the new installation and renamed the previous folder back to its original name (\Condor)..."

This works also with Windows 10.
For some really mysterious reason I couldn't yesterday join any server, there were no updates in WIN10 in last 10 days. I was flying normally online on monday, but suddenly yesterday couldn't join. This method is simple and works like charm and no activation was needed.

Thanks for all who have found this solution.
Jarmo

(also moved the Condor from program files to C/ to prevent similar issues in future)