Team SA - St Auban Challenge

Want to organize multiplayer session? This is the right place...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

korkiley

Re: Team SA - St Auban Challenge

Post by korkiley » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:28 pm

I filled the ASW27 with 190 Kilos of water and timed the release. It took 3 minutes and 10 seconds which comes to about 1.95 seconds/kilo (or liter since 1 liter of water weighs close enough to 1 kilo at sea level.)
ImageImage

arn72

Post by arn72 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:20 am

aaah, science. love it.. thx for the info :wink:

kd3

Congratulation

Post by kd3 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:16 am

:D :D :D Congratulation Sandor :D :D :D
:D :D :D And thank you very much ,Team SA :D :D :D
I am looking forward to next challenge.
Thank you ,all pilots.
See you.

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:23 am

Well done to all the pilots who made the effort to fly in this competition, and congratulations to those who did well.

Most of all thanks to the team in SA who hosted, and in particular to Andries - it's a big job putting this on, but much appreciated by all in the online community. Keep up the good work and we hope to see it growing from strength to strength.

H9

ajl2chat2u

Post by ajl2chat2u » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am

We have come to the end of our St Auban Challenge and for some this really turned out to be a challenge. Overall the competition had a mix of strong, weak and tricky tasks. Those pilots that could fly consistently well throughout the competition were rewarded with a position in the Top 5. Day 8 came to an end this morning with a task taking the competitors into the mountains of Provence. Day 8 required a different tactic and looking at the scoreboard one will notice the pilots with experience making it to the end with some impressive speeds. Well done to Martin Kozar completing the race at a speed of 171.1km/h. Martin was followed by Norbert Kiss and Sandor Laurinyecz, both from Team Hungary.

In the Overall Standings we have the Team Hungary pair of Sandor and Norbert finishing this competition in 1st and 2nd respectively. They were followed by Helmut Kuenne from Germany, Hank Delen from South Africa and KD3 Tsubame, a pilot from Japan. Congratulations guys on a good performance. The rest of the South African Team came in at 7th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 16th,19th, 21st, 27th, 35th, 86th and 90th position. Well done on a great effort guys!

During this competition we have seen no less than 334 pilots flying in 1 or more competition days. Herewith some interesting statistics about this competition.

Number of Pilots by Competition Day

Most Popular Gliders

Overall Competition Status

Total Time Flown by All Pilots per Task

Total Distance Flown by All Pilots per Task

Condor Soaring Team SA would like to thank all of the participants of this competition for their support. This has truly been a challenge from both a competing and organizing point of view. We are looking forward to the next competition likely to take place during the last week of November 2009 and the first week or two of December 2009. We hope to see you around in the meanwhile participating in our Weekly Races, which is much more relaxed and allows for multiple tries in order to improve your tactics and overall speed.
Andries Lombaard (LA)
Virtual Soaring ZA - Server Administrator

CNorbee

Post by CNorbee » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I say thank you for this superb competition in the full Hungarian Team's name.
All of them we enjoyed it! :)

ajl2chat2u

Post by ajl2chat2u » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:51 pm

You are most welcome guys! :D :D
Andries Lombaard (LA)

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:55 pm

The race was great and I'm very impressed with the condorclub sa website. Thank you so much for having this. I'm looking forward to doing the Omarama 190!

I only learned about this on day 6 and on day 7 I was working on my silver, gold and diamonds so I missed that one. I did day 8 though which I didn't do well with. I'm hoping that my results will be better when I build a new computer in November or December. My 6.5 year old Dell only allows me 5 to 18fps!

I'm confused about the start. When do you have to start? I was about to cross the line when I got a 5 minute countdown until race start (if my memory is correct) so I wasted some of the altitude I had gained from a thermal several minutes away. I also noticed that even once the 5 minutes was up, my time didn't actually start until I crossed the line. Could someone explain exactly how the start works?

Also, is there a maximum altitude that you can be at when crossing the start line?
ImageImage

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Sorry! I see that the max altitude for the start is 3000m. My other questions remain though.
ImageImage

ajl2chat2u

Post by ajl2chat2u » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Usually after Join Time is over we allow 5 or more minutes before the Start Line will open. This normally will be indicated on the top left of your screen in yellow. Once the Start Line has opened, you will receive the "Go Go Go ... " from the server, meaning you can start the task. Thereafter you have 30 minutes to start the task. You have to be in the start sector below the max start altitude in order to be able to start, but your time will only start to run once you cross the line. Unless you go above the max alt before you cross the line, your time will start to run as well.
Andries Lombaard (LA)

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:17 am

Andreis,

Thank you for this information. Having this knowledge will make a huge difference in my start strategy! Is this the normal start procedure?

Kor
ImageImage

ajl2chat2u

Post by ajl2chat2u » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 am

Yes it is. The start line in our competitions are usually 10km long, 5km radius from the middle.
Andries Lombaard (LA)

korkiley

Post by korkiley » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Sorry! One more question. Are all those altitudes (start, turn points, etc.) MSL or AGL?
ImageImage

ajl2chat2u

Post by ajl2chat2u » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:17 pm

MSL, usually the standard Condor setting.
Andries Lombaard (LA)