Planning to move from Rift S to Quest 2 with a question

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

alpac

Planning to move from Rift S to Quest 2 with a question

Post by alpac » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:00 am

Hi folks,
I am currently running Condor on a Lenovo legion 7 laptop and a Rift S headset. Since my laptop does not come with a Display Port I need to use a Display Port to USB C adapter to be able to make the Rift S headset work on the laptop. This configuration works OK except that I sometime I loose the VR connection in a middle of a flight which I suspect is caused by the display adapter. For this reason I am planning to replace the Rift S headset with a Quest 2 which will remove the need of a Display Port adapter since the Quest 2 can use a USB C thunderbolt connector on the computer side instead of Display Port, right? Now my question is ... to make the Quest 2 work with Condor will it be like for the Rift S just a matter of downloading the Quest 2 Oculus drivers and software from the Oculus Web site and just run Condor or is there any more set up and configuration steps involved to make the Quest 2 work with Condor?
Thanks

arneh

Re: Planning to move from Rift S to Quest 2 with a question

Post by arneh » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:03 pm

You will want to use a compatible link cable, and enable the link mode. This can be done through the settings, or it will ask you when inserting the cable. It will then go through some dialogs about "are you sure?" and " you need to enable guardian" etc. Every time the Quest has been turned off, or computer has been restarted it will default to start in wifi-mode, and you will have to enable the link mode again.

Another issue is that, depending on the USB-port, the Quest might not get enough power through the cable, and then slowly drain its battery. It has happened to me that it has run out of power during longer flights (several hours). At least make sure it's fully charged before you plan any longer flights.

Otherwise a Quest 2 in link mode works much like a Rift S (which I used to own before). The resolution is a little better, but the two mentioned issues does make it a bit more annoying to use.

alpac

Post by alpac » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:15 pm

Thank you, very helpful

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:54 pm

depending on the USB-port, the Quest might not get enough power through the cable
For this reason, it is best to get a USB-C to USB-C (3.0+) cable. Even at full charge, my Quest 2 would die after a couple hours with a USB-A cable, but it stays charged with USB-C.

Kaibeth

Post by Kaibeth » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:29 pm

My experience has been the opposite. My official oculus C-to-C cable lets the battery die quickly and my C-to-A Anker cable makes it discharge much slower, and when not in use will charge the headset. I don’t even know where my wall charger is any more.
Postojna is no longer a pain in my empennage. :mrgreen:

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:10 pm

My official oculus C-to-C cable lets the battery die quickly
Is it the Link cable, or just the charger cable that comes with the Quest? I'm not sure if that makes a difference in charge rates or not... I'm using the USB-C port on my 2080 GPU.

Kaibeth

Post by Kaibeth » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:20 am

It is a C-to-C Link cable. Oculus logo on the tips and everything.

Should mention: my video card has no USB-C jack. It plugs in my motherboard directly. USB3.1
Postojna is no longer a pain in my empennage. :mrgreen: