Pimax 8KX

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Teppie Thermiek

Pimax 8KX

Post by Teppie Thermiek » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:04 pm

Hello all!

I am putting together a simulator for our gliding club. We do not intend to make any concessions when it comes to quality. That is why we want to train with the Pimax 8KX.

On the forum I come across a few things about the Pimax 5K. But because the Pimax 8KX works with a significantly higher resolution, I wonder which video card I should go for at least.

My first choice is the RTX 2080ti, but the question is whether there are members who have more experience with this VR set and the video card.

Although we prefer not to make any concessions in quality, it is of course not the case that there is an endless budget available.

So which video card should I buy at least to run Condor in the highest settings, the maximum FOV and with a decent frame rate?

Thanks in advance,

Sander terpstra (SXS)

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Pimax 8KX

Post by EDB » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:42 am

Teppie Thermiek wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:04 pm
We do not intend to make any concessions when it comes to quality.
Then there is only the Mixed Reality option.

Varjo XR-3
€6495 *

* Requires a Varjo subscription starting at €1495 annually.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:31 am

Another option :
VRgineers XTAL 3 Mixed Reality
Only €13.915,00 :wink:

For Business and Military use a License is needed.

And don't forget to get the most expensive GPU you can find... Start with the NVIDIA RTX 4090 or above...

EDB

Post by EDB » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:41 am

VARJO now has a (flight) simulator tailered XR-3, called the VARJO XR-3 Focal Edition. It has cameras calibrated for the 30cm to 80cm view distance, so cockpit instruments, PDA, cellphone and kneeboard are better readable...
Inside out tracking is still in beta.