First flight in VR started off so great... and then...

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

bluefang

First flight in VR started off so great... and then...

Post by bluefang » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:42 am

Ok, maybe I should take a more careful approach to VR. I got a little excited with my first flight and decided to do some light acro - loops and wingovers - and well, that didn't last long. I think I only lasted about 10 minutes of total flight time - though I was able to land before turning completely green.

Seems like my brain REALLY doesn't like the mismatch of perceived motion vs vestibular motion.

Gonna start with baby steps, and calm simple flights to see if that helps.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Snapcase

Re: First flight in VR started off so great... and then...

Post by Snapcase » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:22 pm

You will get used to this :) Just start with small steps - not so long flights with no turbulences. Then longer ones and more and more - and then acro. Many people had this problem and now are albe to fly many hours with ZERO problems :D
Wojciech Sołtysik - SOL - Poland

gromm

Post by gromm » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:29 am

The best advice I've heard so far, is to pull the eject handle as soon as you start feeling the slightest bit nauseous. Don't land, don't tough it out a few minutes more, just quit right away.

It cuts your recovery times by a whole lot.

I haven't personally had any such issues with my Quest 2 so far, but I've also refused to do anything scarier than a short final approach, in the lightest turbulence settings. If I feel a little disoriented in a turn or something, then I fix my focus on the tape on the yaw string or something else stationary in the cockpit. Anything but the scenery.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:03 am

My next couple of attempts at VR have gone a lot better. I did two complete pattern tow (aero-tow) flights without too much vertigo. It actually makes a BIG difference when you keep things smooth and under control. There are still moments where my brain seems to totally reject everything that my eyes are telling it - but during those two short pattern tow flights I never got that "oh yuck" feeling.

I read an article online where this was studied by the military and the summary was that it is something you can become accustomed to. The advice was to take it slow, quit before feeling sick, but push yourself each flight to go further. Very interesting. I have no problems with flying Condor with a Track IR headset. I also have no problems at all with sea sickness. I was totally caught off-guard with VR flying though.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)