Is it worth moving from Oculus Rift S to Quest 2?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

alpac

Is it worth moving from Oculus Rift S to Quest 2?

Post by alpac » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 am

Hi Folks,
I am running Condor with the Oculus Rift S and it works great. I am wondering though if moving to the Quest 2 would make a big difference in graphic quality over the Rift S. From what I read the Quest 2's graphic resolution is a bit better than the Rift S but is it worth the move? Has anybody experienced both VR headsets?
If it is worth moving to Quest 2 then is the 128gb version good enough for Condor or is 256gb necessary?
And last question, can the Quest 2 be used wireless with Condor and if yes does the battery last long enough for long ( several hours) flights?
Thanks again in advance
Alain
P.S. If it makes any difference for the Quest 2 performance my HW configuration is Lenovo laptop Legion 7, i7-10750H CPU , 32gb ram and RTX 2080 super max Q

marczakjak

Re: Is it worth moving from Oculus Rift S to Quest 2?

Post by marczakjak » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply !

I tried Rift S in my soaring club and it just convinced me that I needed VR goggles.
When I bought Oculus Quest 2 I didn’t notice the difference until I flew again with Rift S : Quest 2 is much better.
You still must by a USB C USB 3 cable, it’s not working wirelessly.
You may also buy a better head strap than the standard one for your comfort and 128 Go version is enough for Condor, I have the 64Go version that works great on my Lenovo legion with RTX 2060 and 16 Go VRAM.

Have fun
Jacques

alpac

Post by alpac » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:09 am

Thank you !

Alexair

Post by Alexair » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:42 am

Hello,

I would like to clarify 2 points:

- The Quest 2 is working perfectly well without the cable. The Air Link (connection without cable) is working fine with Condor 2 as this is totally 2 separate things. As long as you have a connection between your Quest 2 and the Oculus App that is on your PC desktop, whether it is via the cable or Air Link, then you will be able to display Condor 2 in Quest 2.

- It doesn't matter whether you have a 64, 128 or 256 Gb Quest 2. This is only the memory you have inside the Quest 2 when you install games within the headset only. So it really doesn't matter at all for Condor 2 as it is installed only on your PC.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Cheers,

Alex

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:43 am

marczakjak wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 pm
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply !

I tried Rift S in my soaring club and it just convinced me that I needed VR goggles.
When I bought Oculus Quest 2 I didn’t notice the difference until I flew again with Rift S : Quest 2 is much better.
You still must by a USB C USB 3 cable, it’s not working wirelessly.
You may also buy a better head strap than the standard one for your comfort and 128 Go version is enough for Condor, I have the 64Go version that works great on my Lenovo legion with RTX 2060 and 16 Go VRAM.

Have fun
Jacques
This has been my experience as well. I used a friend's Rift S when deciding whether I wanted to get Condor to start with. It quickly convinced me to get it. I then got the Quest 2 (64 GB), and have been using it with the Oculus Link cable. At first I set it up using Steam/Revive, but as the software and updates have progressed with the Quest 2, it works perfectly fine with just the Oculus app running. I haven't tried the "Air Link" connection yet, so can't comment on that. But the resolution on the Quest 2 is noticeably better than the Rift S. The screen door effect is noticeable with the Rift S, and can be distracting sometimes. However, you have to really look for it with the Quest 2 to notice it. It is there, but significantly less noticeable than with the Rift S. If you could find a used Quest 2 64GB version for cheap, that's the direction I'd go. Best bang for your buck, in my opinion.

h.kreso

Post by h.kreso » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:19 pm

I also switched from Rift S to Quest 2. It's a much better picture, but I'm having problems, I think the cable speed is, maybe my old GTX 1080 Ti. Stable 72 fps, when moving head, all movements are smooth, but when in a circle, I have jumping pictures.
Waiting for new head strap, original is not good, also USB card and longer cable