A suitable VR headset for my PC?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

gromm

A suitable VR headset for my PC?

Post by gromm » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:30 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a suitable VR headset for Condor2 with the following hardware specs:

Intel i7 3770
GeForce GTX 1070 with 24 GB ram
32 GB DDR3 system ram

I'm sure the rest doesn't matter.

What I'm looking for, is something that's easy to get started with Condor. I'm not really interested in loading a stack of software to get into the sim. That's just tedious and kludgy. Also, it sure would be nice to be able to actually read the instrument panel, instead of inferring what my airspeed might be, based on where it is in the green arc. I know that the screen door effect was pretty strong in some of the earlier headsets, but I'm still not interested in spending over $400 on a headset, so I'm mostly looking at used hardware. I've seen a few Oculus Rift S' online for around $250 or even less, so that sounds about ideal to me, but I'm worried that the in-game experience isn't so fantastic.

Xavier

Re: A suitable VR headset for my PC?

Post by Xavier » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 am

Hi gromm

I use a Quest 2 with a link between my PC and the VR headset and the in-game experience is fantastic. It is quite real life flying.

You can also use the Wi-Fi.

The great advantage of the Quest 2 is it does not need additional software with complicated starting. It is just quite plug and play.
Screen door effects, is very low, but is in relation with your graphic card.

Price is fewer than 400 US$.

Have a look to the other topics about Quest 2.

Good flight
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

gromm

Post by gromm » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:18 pm

What are your system specs?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 am

Hi gromm,

I had built a new PC for the 10 next years; including VR progress!

Ryzen7 5800X
3070 Graphic card
32 Go Ram
2 SSd 1 To
1 Hd 2 To
*****- Xavier - (XDL - VR FAN) *****

Lord_Archon

Post by Lord_Archon » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Get a Quest 2, it's the only option on that price range.

I run condor with quest 2 on the same minimum-spec vr computer that I ran the first oculus rift on, and your specs are better. It runs smoothly for me, I have it in wireless link mode. Screen door effect is absolutely a nonfactor in all current gen headsets, unless you mistake the naturally lower resolution of vr for screendoor? In most cases you won't be able to run a headset at its native resolution as it's too high and requires a monster graphics card (oculus software takes care of this for you for a smooth exprience but you can set the render value manually).

Edit: Never get a rift S unless it's an absurdly good deal cause it's obsolete and will not receive support ($250, meh). A quest 2 is $300 new, plus it is also a mobile vr console in addition to being a pc headset.

gromm

Post by gromm » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 pm

Well, if anyone was wondering, I got the Quest 2 recently, and I honestly couldn't be happier. The experience is super smooth, and Condor's hardware requirements facilitate that. I needed to upgrade my wireless router to get it to work better with Airlink, but that was about the only thing I needed to spend money on.

I've tried a couple other programs including DCS, and it's okay but Condor is better in many aspects anyway.