Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Buzz77

Re: HP Reverb G2 - VR Setup Guide for Condor 2

Post by Buzz77 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:51 pm

Warning: Off Topic ;-)
Mas wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:34 am
I think you got your history wrong about Oculus ...
I think I do not. Here are some more details if you like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_(brand)#Founding

It is the kind of company I neither will support with my money, nor with my data.
I also believe that the technology of Oculus is not bad.
And yes, I know the Google comparison and I share your arguments about it.
But that makes Facebooks and Mr. Zuckerbergs philosophie not better.
Mas wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:34 am
Its just part of the modern world unfortunately .
Yes - unfortunately. Fortunately you can do something against it - if you like to do... :-)

End of Off Topic. ;-)

Mas

Post by Mas » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:22 am

I can see the anti Facebook thing /privacy is your "thing'' . I've been using VR with Condor since it came out ( Emagin z800 headset from 2005 ) . I try not to let politics get in the way of my hobbies but I agree , when priorities differ , it is best just to respect differences.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 am

So I installed my new Reverb G2 tonight. After a few tweaks n tunes I get IRacing looking and running fantastic. Was well worth the upgrade from the Oculus 2, very happy indeed.

But then I open Condor! ☹️ Oh dear....

Whilst it was good to find this work around if all I ran in VR was Condor, I would go for it. But it looks like it would create big problems swapping back n forth from sims using SteamVR and Oculus (which I've uninstalled).

This is a real disappointment, I was really enjoying this but if this issue has not been fixed in 1 year... I can't see it is going to be.

Great effort from Buzz to work round it, but there really should be a patch from the creators to sort this. VR is getting big and there's more than just one VR unit!

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:49 am

Just come across this, might be reading wrong but it looks like he's just used this revive to patch Condor without the need for the Oculus software. To late to try tonight but will give this a go in the morning.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/1669

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 pm

Yep, I read it wrong, well it was 1.30am and I'd had a few Jim Beams by then. Turns out it doesn't work without Oculus software.

Reinstalled it along with the other two progs mentioned and Condor loaded but got stuck on "nearly done". I could see the view and look around from within the cockpit, but that was it. A very tantalising, teasing even, look at what might be, but none shall pass. Please Mr Condor, make it so for other headsets without the need of work rounds.

So as Oculus was already installed I'm just going to keep the Oculus2 for relaxing flying. Reverb G2 for elbows out IRacing.

FlyingMan

Post by FlyingMan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:44 pm

BillPennock wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 am
I have attempted to setup everything to make this work but to no avail. I have installed windows mixed vr portal, occulous software, steam and steamVR and revive. Installing revive said success at putting a shortcut on my desktop but when I click that nothing happens. I've used the inject then select condor2.exe, nothing happens. I can attempt to start Condor from the desktop but the minute I try to start flight it errors with the error initializing Direct3D problem. dxdiag shows no problems with the installation of directx and Direct3D

I disconnected the HP G2 and set Oculus off and it works so it's something in the whole rigamaroll of the bunch of software that's doing it. Any ideas????
Hi Bill,

I had the same problem with my Oculus Quest 2. In the end I found out that my Laptop used the integrated graphics from the AMD Ryzen and not the Nvidia GPU. I had to change the general settings in the Nvidia Setup from "auto" to "use Nvidia High Performance GPU". Now it works perfectly. And it's a complete different experience.

Guy757

Post by Guy757 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Fingers wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 pm
Yep, I read it wrong, well it was 1.30am and I'd had a few Jim Beams by then. Turns out it doesn't work without Oculus software.

Reinstalled it along with the other two progs mentioned and Condor loaded but got stuck on "nearly done". I could see the view and look around from within the cockpit, but that was it. A very tantalising, teasing even, look at what might be, but none shall pass. Please Mr Condor, make it so for other headsets without the need of work rounds.

So as Oculus was already installed I'm just going to keep the Oculus2 for relaxing flying. Reverb G2 for elbows out IRacing.
Hey @Fingers. I've just re-read my bug report and yeah, my "assumed Condor 2 is configured for VR" does mean Oculus, er sorry, Meta headset is up and running but I could have been more explicit for sure.

I've been away from Condor 2 a while and have just got a Quest 2 for non flight sim stuff but thought I'd give it a go in Condor 2. Impressive but nothing like the clarity of the Reverb G2. With the Quest 2 I need to lean in about half way to read the digits on the instruments for example. No need to move at all with the G2. Not knocking the Quest 2 in any way and it may be my current config. It is a cracking headset for the money.

I'm not sure whether there is a newer version of Revive but I may revisit using the G2 with Condor 2. I also plan to try some settings tweaks with the Quest 2 to see if I can sharpen up the instruments a little - it currently looks pretty much like it did in my Rift-S.

Just so frustrating non Meta headsets are not supported natively but equally understand VR is not a dev priority. Heck, Condor 2 is still 32-bit last time I checked! Still my favourite flight sim though :)

tobias_rh

Post by tobias_rh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Just ordered my G2 Reverb, and I'm soon going to install it according the manual from this thread.

Did anyone recently follow the manual for doing the installation, and can confirm if it still works?

I'm asking, since the versions of the various apps involved will have changed several times since the writing of the manual..

I'll be using a brand new installation of Windows.

Thanks very much for everyone providing to these resources, super helpful!

Cheers from Zurich,
Tobias

Ikaros

Post by Ikaros » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi Tobias,
I did the installation last weekend. Everything worked wonderfully. But: do not update revive.
I switched from rift to reverb - a totally new and different flying experience. :D
Ikaros

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi. Could someone please share the instruction? The link from the first message is not working.

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:43 am

Sorry for the inconvinience with downloading my manual in the last few days. Since December 6th my provider has his cloud servers down for a whole new rebuild (its a mess). :-/

I will fix the link as soon as possible - and if you urgently need the instructions in the meantime you can send me a private message and I will send it to you. :-)

Greetings Buzz

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:46 am

Finally servers are up again and I managed to fix the Download - link.

https://magentacloud.de/s/Fcb3gfPJJ7TRyWW

I also changed the link in my first message in this thread so all should work now as expected. :)

If there are any further issues with the download please send me a PM and I will send the guide to you by mail.

Greetings

Buzz77

Genchik

Post by Genchik » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Dear Buzz77 and friends

Thanks for the guide on how to set up HPG2. It helped me quickly set up my device.
However, I am disappointed with the picture I got with the glasses. The field of focus is very narrow. A fairly narrow rectangle in the center. But even in it, the sharpness leaves much to be desired.
I experimented with all the possible settings for a while. I carefully read this and other forum threads about VR. But the result did not satisfy me.

I even began to think that my glasses were faulty. Until I downloaded VR apps from the market. About a miracle! The glasses are sharp in all directions. I'm fascinated. But in Condor, alas, the picture is terrible.

Am I correct in that poor sharpness is the result of the Condor's own VR engine? And we need to wait for the developers' mercy to improve the quality of our glasses?

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:19 pm

Hi Genchik,

hmmm, yes, the real sharp part of the picture is more within an area in the middle of the FOV, but it does not disturb me too much. And with my rigg it is not a rectangle, it is more oval while decreasing slowly to the edges. I don't know wheather the Condor-VR Engine is the source. Also the HMD seems to have a bit of this effect. But some people don't even recognise it, others are a bit unhappy with it - so maybe this is also a factor of anatomie of the eyes in relation to the optics of the HMD? (not sure).

But you write that your picture is really unsharp, even in the middle. With my equipment this is not the case.

A very big impact on the resolution in the HMD have the SteamVR settings (see page 6... in the Guide). Do you have the slider (resolution per eye) at 150% ? (Other applications will need other resolutions at this point!)

And in WMR the resolution should be at the native res of the HMD.
And maybe the video driver of your graphiccard has a special configuration that disturbs...? (Just guessing)

As long as we have to use these SW-crutches to get Condor2 running in VR, because the programming team has "more important things" to develop than an easy support for non facebook/occulus/meta HMDs, it will be very time consuming to find the optimum settings for every PC-equipment.

I hope you can improve your picture with some tweaks...

Greetings Buzz

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:17 am

By special request (auf besonderen Wunsch):

https://magentacloud.de/s/SHe66tq9PwZHKBB

German translation of the guide (deutsche Übersetzung der Anleitung) :)