HP Reverb G2 - VR Setup Guide for Condor 2

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jschubert

Re: HP Reverb G2 - VR Setup Guide for Condor 2

Post by jschubert » Tue May 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi Buzz77,
"hats off", excedllent advice!
After setting back to HP G2 physical resolution it worked for XP 11 too.

Thank you, herzlichen Dank
Jörg

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi Jörg, thank you for your feedback! :-)

And for general information:

The audio-issues with my VR-system are really gone with my new USB-PCIe Card.
I hope this also will help other users with audio issues.

I have updated the guide and link to it at the beginning of this thread.

Have fun and always happy landings! 8)
Buzz77

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 pm

For the German-speaking people this is a link to a good troubleshooting guide with known issues - and the apropriate solutions for the G2.

https://vr-legion.de/hardware/hp-reverb ... problemen/

Just found this today...

Greetings

Buzz77

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 am

I have attempted to setup everything to make this work but to no avail. I have installed windows mixed vr portal, occulous software, steam and steamVR and revive. Installing revive said success at putting a shortcut on my desktop but when I click that nothing happens. I've used the inject then select condor2.exe, nothing happens. I can attempt to start Condor from the desktop but the minute I try to start flight it errors with the error initializing Direct3D problem. dxdiag shows no problems with the installation of directx and Direct3D

I disconnected the HP G2 and set Oculus off and it works so it's something in the whole rigamaroll of the bunch of software that's doing it. Any ideas????

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:27 am

Hmm. I have no access to my Condor rig for 2 weeks from now, so I cannot do any testing at the moment, sorry.
My only idea from remote is to check the Condor graphics settings (Occculus Ritt S on/ MSAA supersampling OFF) and Steam VR Settings and to restart the PC and the several software tools in recommended order.
I had some similar issues after using other "games" and settings with Steam VR, and not resettet it correctly to my working Condor settings.

BTW: Are you using the Revive Helper Tool?

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:53 pm

Yes on the revive helper tool instal but its not working for me. I will try the whole shutdown and restart in order. I hope if i get it working its worth it. The field of view in the H2 is so limited and getting it positioned so enough is in focus is a challenge as well. Im not sure 3 screens isn’t better for now. Thoughts

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:37 pm

For me it was a big difference to go to VR.
At first I used my two old 24" screens left and right of my 49" screen. Then I used headtracking with Track IR.
I never would go back to the flatscreens as long as my G2 works fine. The imersion in VR is outstanding.

As soon as I am "in the cockpit" I forget about a limited field of view because I can look left and right, up an down as in real life. The only thing that could be even better is resolution. But in this point the G2 will be one of the best VR-HMDs thats affordable for me and some people who are camparing different HMDs say, it is the best one at the time being.

But back to the issues: Works your G2 with other sims or games? Is your graphics card able to handle the workload for VR? (I am using a RTX 2070 Super and get it to the limits with Condor running in highest details.)

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Yes it works with other games and the occulous demo thing, cant remember what that is called Ill let you know the result of carefully looking at your order of starting everything

BillPennock

Post by BillPennock » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 pm

No joy. The desktop shortcut only brings up the desktop shortcut creation dialog again. I don't see anything on there that says start condor, just success that the shortcut was created. I have uninstalled and reinstalled revive including the build you talked about and the newest and neither worked any different for me. The right click, inject, select condor.exe started condor on the desktop but not in the headset. Unfortunately I am heading for Orlando from Arizona for 2 weeks on business and won't be able to mess with this anymore till I get back. I sure appreciate your helping me with this. Maybe when I get back and you get back to your computer it will be easier.

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 pm

BillPennock wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 pm
Maybe when I get back and you get back to your computer it will be easier.
No hurry :-) Just tell me when you are back - and when you have some time to check things. Maybe we can find a solution.

But do not overestimate my knowledge. I am just a dumb user, not a VR expert ;-)
So maybe also some others can help... :-)

Greetings and a good journey!
Buzz

Mas

Post by Mas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 am

I wondered what the latest status with the G2 is with Condor . I was thinking of buying a G2 for my other gaming , but Quest 2 currently working really well with Condor . Is G2 currently working with Condor or have software updates killed the compatability ?

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:07 pm

My setup is working without major problems from January 2021 since now with the HP G2. (Current Versions: Windows Pro V2004 , Steam-VR V 1.18.7, dated 2021_07_14).

The setup is a bit tricky - as you can see in my setup guide at the beginning of this thread.
But the setup-sheet is downloaded more than 500 times by now and there were just very few people who posted questions here in this thread about issues. (Maybe all others were giving it up before ? ;-) )

Also be aware that your hardware can handle the VR-Resolution of the HP G2 (I use a RTX2070Super graphics card - maybe you have some similar or even a better one?).

As long as your Quest2 is working well - and your reason to switch to G2 is not because of all that facebook stuff - maybe you can also wait until Condor supports OpenXR or WMR directly (or until a even more superior HMD is out?). OXO kindly posted a note that they definitely will do so:
OXO wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:12 am
I cannot give you a date, but it will be done. We have more important things in development right now, so I ask you to be patient.

My patience is now nearly one year old - so I am happy that the "nightmare-setup" is still working for me ;-)

Greetings
Buzz77

Mas

Post by Mas » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 am

HI Buzz77, thanks for the detailed reply .

I have an RTX 2070 Super as well. I am using Win 10 Pro, hopefully that will be ok.

I am a big fan of Oculus since 5 headsets back . . I have a lot of Steam VR and oculus apps games .I really like wireless VR - 95% I do wireless , but for Condor I would like a bigger FOV like my Quest 1 had and get rid of the last bit of Screen Door Effect . G2 would be great . I'm guessing some people who download your PDF are potential G2 buyers to see how much trouble it is .

If I do buy one and it doesn't work with Condor It should be ok for MSFS with lower resolution setting and I will wait for Open XR and keep using my Quest 2 with Condor .

One question - I hear varying report about G2 having a more obvious sweet spot of sharpness . For my face shape I find Quest 2 is essentially nice and sharp across the field , i can still read text fine across it . How was your experience with sweetspot ?

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:18 pm

Mas wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 am
I am a big fan of Oculus since 5 headsets back . .
Yes I can completely understand this. Oculus surely was one of the best choices for a long time. It is very sad that Zuckerberg bought the company and is doing now nearly the same as with WhatsApp, years ago.

But back to topic:
Mas wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:09 am
...I hear varying report about G2 having a more obvious sweet spot of sharpness . For my face shape I find Quest 2 is essentially nice and sharp across the field , i can still read text fine across it . How was your experience with sweetspot ?
I have no Quest2 for comparisson, but for me the sweet spot of the G2 is ok. I recognize the sharper field in the middel area of the field of sight, but it does not really disturb my feeling of immersion. I am happy to have an area where the sharpness is excellent and I also can read text without problems in the rest of the field of sight - as long as the characters are not too small. ;-)
Maybe the G2 is sharper in the middle of the area than the Quest2 and people recognize the difference in the field of sight more than the lower sharpness in total? Maybe some peoples anatomy fits better to the optics of one HMD than to another - and everybody has different feelings whats most important for him/her...? (Just guessing :-) )

I tried out a modded face frame with the G2, just out of curiosity, to enlargen the field of view in total and because the scuba-diving-mask effect should be lower with it. It works good for my face, does not effect sharpness in a negative way, but the difference to the original frame was not sooo big and the material is not as nice as the original. I think a positive effect depends also a bit on the anatomy of the user. BTW the G2s adjustable eye-distance works very well. My wife has 60 mm and mine is 68 mm and both fits just perfect after adjusting it with the small slider at the G2. Also the sound of the speakers is very good.

Mas

Post by Mas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:34 am

Thanks for all the detail . Quest 2 is pretty sharp across the whole field , there is no obvious sweet spot , but I noticed early G2 users talking about small sweet spot . Face shape does have a play in that . Can experiment with face pads I guess.

I think you got your history wrong about Oculus . The first proper VR headset Oculus CV1 in 2015 came out after injection of hundreds of millions of $ by parent company Facebook . I had an Oculus DK2 before that and it was a toy . oculus would still be a tiny company pushing out a few expensive boutique headsets if it werent for the big investment . Its Oculus /Facebook that is fast pushing the progress of VR and making VR accessable to many millions more people with the $299 USD pricepoint . Quest 2 is now up to 31 updates on its operating system with exciting new features all the time . When big companies spend lots of money they want return . Like the fact that most phones in teh world run on Android system owned by Google - they are the worlds best spy devices tracking your every move and listening to you . Its just part of the modern world unfortunately .