HP Reverb G2 - VR Setup Guide for Condor 2

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

AUBUISSON

Re: HP Reverb G2 - VR Setup Guide for Condor 2

Post by AUBUISSON » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:04 pm

Nous sommes 4 ou 5 a voler avec un casque HP Reverb G2 sur Condor Café http://blog.condor-velivole.eu/

YoYo

Post by YoYo » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 pm

Specter wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:16 am
I just purchased Condor 2 for use with my Reverb G2. This is a joke, it's 2022 and we don't have native support?!?! What a waste of money!
Maybe not a waste of money (and I dont regret), but I agree about the rest :(

I miss flying in Condor and as long as it doesn't support WMR I won't be using it :oops: .

In November (SU11 update) MSFS will support gliders, Im sure it will not be like Condor but here we have WMR support and nice Discus (by GotFriends).

Id like to wish WMR in Condor 2 too. Condor is a lot of better with soaring simulation (even if MSFS officially will support gliders, Im sure), but due no support of WMR and HP Reverb G2 (most popular headset n the market for now) I must choose MSFS with Kinetic Assistant (free software https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/kinetic-assistant/) :oops: . Pity!
Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl
Condor Sim statystyki

ur-bnja

Post by ur-bnja » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:21 pm

Hello!
I perform all steps from the manual and got 'Error initializing Direct3d' then starting injection (((
Any ideas?

by the way, don't waste your money on a glider in mfs. rating out of 10 somewhere -5

fergie

Post by fergie » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:13 pm

YoYo wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Specter wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:16 am
I just purchased Condor 2 for use with my Reverb G2. This is a joke, it's 2022 and we don't have native support?!?! What a waste of money!
Id like to wish WMR in Condor 2 too. Condor is a lot of better with soaring simulation (even if MSFS officially will support gliders, Im sure), but due no support of WMR and HP Reverb G2 (most popular headset n the market for now) I must choose MSFS with Kinetic Assistant (free software https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/kinetic-assistant/) :oops: . Pity!
I won't be supporting Condor 3 if MSFS gliders are even remotely passable. It has been absolutely ridiculous to have all the money I spent on condor and aircraft just be a total waste since I no-longer use an oculus based HMD... The dev is completely out of touch with the community these days.

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:26 am

Before you get mad maybe wait for Condor 3 features. Nothing has been announced yet about VR support.
PH-1504, KOE

fergie

Post by fergie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:05 pm

wickid wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:26 am
Before you get mad maybe wait for Condor 3 features. Nothing has been announced yet about VR support.
It has nothing to do with Condor 3 features, it has everything to do with lack of support for Condor 2 for years. I won't give this dev any more money at this point.

Jeffchrisope

Post by Jeffchrisope » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Well, I've only been testing it for a few hours, but so far the steps outlined in the OP's directions worked perfectly for me, first time out. It took a whopping 10 minutes to setup, and though, sure, it's a little janky and probably burning some performance on the various interoperability layers going on here, I can fly in Condor 2 with my G2 now just as easily as I flew before, but now with a better headset.

Honestly, the folks ranting about lack of support here should maybe just try the steps outlined here and see if it works for them. Really: literally took me 10 minutes.

fergie

Post by fergie » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Jeffchrisope wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Well, I've only been testing it for a few hours, but so far the steps outlined in the OP's directions worked perfectly for me, first time out. It took a whopping 10 minutes to setup, and though, sure, it's a little janky and probably burning some performance on the various interoperability layers going on here, I can fly in Condor 2 with my G2 now just as easily as I flew before, but now with a better headset.

Honestly, the folks ranting about lack of support here should maybe just try the steps outlined here and see if it works for them. Really: literally took me 10 minutes.
Congratulations, it works for you on a G2... It doesn't work for every headset. Maybe you should take into account that not everyone is in the same circumstances as you and many of us have tried every possible workaround we had before being annoyed at the lack of support. Even then, having to use a workaround = lack of support. Period.

juro

Post by juro » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:06 am

Sorry for slight deviation from the theme, for those experiencing worsened VR performance after recent Win update: works like a charm.
I have HP G2 myself.

Hi,

lately i found a tip concerning holographic shell and logging. I was looking for a solution for my reduced gaming performance after installing Windows 11 22h2 function update:

"Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’."

uxbridge

Post by uxbridge » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:30 pm

I'll try to answer some questions above about how it all works and what all those SW modules are for. I am not a big expert in VR, but I am a programmer myself and did some research on the topic. I also recently started using Reverb G2 for flight sims including Condor.
Any program which has to control a VR device must use some kind of VR environment/service which allows to "talk" to the headset in order to send image and receive feedback. The feedback means head and (optionally) manipulators tracking. There is/was no embedded support in operating systems for VR, like it is for monitors, joysticks or mice. You need some additional service(s) installed on the OS (e.g. MS Windows).
VR is relatively new, so when Oculus Rift appeared, there was also no standard "language" (API) in which applications could talk to VR service and no standard hardware connection for VR services to communicate with headsets. Oculus developed its own standard and released Oculus VR as the service.
Anyone who wanted to support Oculus headsets in their applications had to use it. The first thing to bear in mind is:
Condor talks to Oculus headset trough Oculus VR. It can't talk to any other VR service directly without major changes (I guess).
But in the meantime, other standards emerged.
Steam VR - applications had to talk to Steam VR to control HTC and Vibe headsets.
Windows Mixed Reality - applications had to talk to WMR to control WMR headsets (like Reverb G2)

Therefore, Steam VR apps didn't support WMR or Oculus headset out off the box. Similar, WMR applications didn't support HTC headsets and Oculus headsets etc.
There is now some interoperability between these systems.
1. Steam VR supports Oculus headsets directly (?), and WMR headsets trough WMR for Steam VR plugin.
2. WMR supports Oculus headsets trough Oculus VR service and HTC/Vibe headsets trough Steam VR.
3. Oculus VR doesn't support WMR headsets directly and can support HTC/Vibe headsets trough Revive.

What does it mean for Condor and Reverb G2 users?
1. You need Oculus VR, because Condor talks to it.
2. You need Revive and Steam VR, because Revive redirects headset communication from Oculus VR to Steam VR.
3. You need WMR and WMR For Steam VR, because it redirects Steam VR communication to WMR and to Reverb G2 headset.

It is a bit of simplification, but fairly correct I believe. If someone knows better, please correct me.

Does all complexity above create problems for G2 users? Well, yes and no. If all works correctly, there is no performance penalty I think. I use G2 with Condor and despite having not very powerful laptop (i7 and RTX 2060) I get 90 FPS in Condor. With reduced resolution yes, but I can't see a big difference in quality. I also can run MSFS 2020 (which is native WMR application) and IL-2 (which is Steam VR) both with the same resolution as in Condor. I only get 30-45 FPS max.
The problem is, that installing all the stuff - WMR, Steam VR, Revive and Oculus may be cumbersome and frustrating sometimes. It took me only 15 mins and run ok from the start, but not everybody will be so lucky. Also all those applications running together, create some additional burden on memory, so better to have plenty. It also increases the risk of malfunction (hangs, crashes) as there are more processes involved.
In general, VR is very CPU and graphics resources hungry. You always work with significantly increased temperature of CPU and GPU. Especially on laptops. Overheating your computer or even keeping it hot for longer time can easily reveal existing hardware issues which wouldn't be noticed otherwise.

uxbridge

Post by uxbridge » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:38 pm

Another thing which is not always well understood among VR newbies, is image resolution. If you set the image resolution in Condor, it applies only to the image rendered on the monitor - i.e. when run without VR. It has no impact on resolution displayed by the headset goggles. Resolution for the headset is chosen in the VR service used by the application. In case of Condor and G2 we can select the resolution in the Steam VR, as the Condor talks to the headset trough Revive and Steam VR (and WMR). In Steam VR you can set separate resolution for each application, but one can only select Steam applications. Condor will run with the resolution set in "general" or "video" settings. Resolution in "general" and "video" settings tabs are always the same.
You may notice, that the resolution is set using percentage values. Also, when 100% is set, the resolution is about 1.5x bigger than the native headset resolution. For example, 100% for G2 is 3160x3080 while G2 native resolution is 2160x2160 per eye.
Why is that? Because of the headset lenses which distort the image. They compress the image in the centre and stretches it on the corners. To compensate for this, the rendered image must be distorted in reverse before being displayed on the headset screen. But such distortion loose details in the image centre. So the rendered image should have more details than normally needed to keep the quality. I.e. it should be rendered with higher resolution.

pvaiko

Post by pvaiko » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:29 am

Hello,

tried setting this up, but did not work out very well, although I believe I followed every step in the guide.

I can start the game with the Revive Helper or with manually injecting, I hear the sound in the headset and see the text (the 'race in xxxx' countdown) hovering over the SteamVR background/panel.

Anyone seen that? Any idea what could be wrong? I'm running Revive 1.9.2 as the guide recommended, and downloaded the latest Oculust Rift software.

Thanks

pvaiko

Post by pvaiko » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:54 pm

Ok, it turned out I had MSAA supersampling enabled in the game graphics settings, causing all the problems. MSAA must be disabled for Revive 1.9.2 to work. Everything looks ok now.

This GitHub issue on the Revive page is a great summary of the problems I saw, and although that person was testing 2.1, the same problem seems to still exist for Revive 3.0 beta: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/1669

ryanto

Post by ryanto » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Anyone has a way to have XCsoar inside the game with this VR set ?

Found my answers !

In case someone else wants to use it :
- I use "Virtual Serial Ports Emulator"
- XCsoars (obviously)
- Desktop+

I found a few tutorials on google

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:18 pm

As I also just posted in a separate thread,

Revive version 3.2.0 was released a few days ago - and it includes a change to Add support for MSAA OpenGL texture swapchains.

In a quick test, running Condor through this version of Revive (3.2.0), streaming the result through Virtual Desktop to my Oculus Quest, everything worked very nicely - including with MSAA enabled (tested at the '2x' setting).

This means that it should now be possible, for anyone who needs to use Revive because you're using a non-Oculus/Meta headset, to:
  • Use the latest version of Revive, instead of the (now rather old) 1.9.2
  • Enable MSAA for better visual quality
I'd love if someone with an HP Reverb G2, HTC Vive, or other non-Oculus/Meta headset could give this a try and see if it works for them as well - so that it's not OK just in my strange setup!

(This latest version of Revive also adds a Tray Tool menu item to not just inject Revive into a program, but to create a Shortcut that you can launch in the future to inject+launch in one go, for convenience; though the Condor Revive Helper is still more useful to launch Condor with Revive from a multiplayer connection URL, I think.)