Can I use "Revive" for Condor without a Facebook account?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

AstirAl

Can I use "Revive" for Condor without a Facebook account?

Post by AstirAl » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm intrigued by this old thread about using an Android phone + Google Cardboard viewer as a crude VR headset, and would like to give it a go, just for fun:

Condor in VR using mobile phone

(My expectations are very low, but at 1/20th the cost of a real headset, I have nothing to lose!)

However, this approach relies on Revive to convert Oculus API calls to Steam VR. The first step of the instructions for Revive is to install the official Oculus Rift software from Facebook.

I decided many years ago that I don't ever want to have a Facebook profile, and I'm certainly not willing to be "assimilated by the Zuckerborg" just to play a computer game in 3D.
  • Is the official Oculus Rift software absolutely necessary, even though I'm not using a game from the Oculus store?
  • If I do have to install it, can I just install the drivers without ever opening or signing into the Oculus Home app? Or will it ask for Facebook credentials during the installation process?
Thanks in advance.

sisu1a

Re: Can I use "Revive" for Condor without a Facebook account?

Post by sisu1a » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 am

If you already have an activated Oculus account you can use it until 2022 without an accompanying FB account but without access to any of Oculus social features. If you are setting one up new, that opportunity closed last Oct and all new Oculus accounts newer than that req FB to sign in.

Yes the Oculus client is necessary to run Condor in VR. No you can't just install drivers or whatever you need the full client which you need an account to sign in to. That's what has the API Condor needs to interface with to run in VR, for now.

reVive is a 3rd party app that doesn't care one way or the other

AstirAl

Re: Can I use "Revive" for Condor without a Facebook account?

Post by AstirAl » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 pm

Thanks, I thought that would probably be the case.

2D mode it is then...