Best VR Headset at this moment

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Snapcase

Best VR Headset at this moment

Post by Snapcase » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am

Hello guys!

I'm going to switch for VR in Condor 2, but .. there are many headsets available, and also many issues with it.

What can you recommend at this moment? I know now it supports Oculus and some other one'a with Revive but maybe i should wait for some Condor update? Anything coming? :) Or its worth to struggle a little bit a setup and switch for some better one than Rift/Quest ?

So.. which one? :)

Rift S
Quest 2
Pimax5k+
HTC Vive
Valve index
Reverb G2

I will use it only in Condor, i don't play other games.

PC Spec: i7, 16gbRAM, 1080ti

Wojciech Sołtysik - SOL - Poland

k6chris

Re: Best VR Headset at this moment

Post by k6chris » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Depends on your budget and how comfortable you are with fiddling with software etc.

The Rift S is cheap and works with Condor straight out of the box. Quest 2 is better in terms of resolution / image quality, but currently you need to set a stack of software including Steam VR and Revive, to make it work OK with Condor 2. Both are currently around £299 GBP / EUR. If Condor gets a VR support update, then your PC spec should be fine with the higher res headsets and things should get easier. I really hope an update / refesh comes soon!

Snapcase

Post by Snapcase » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Oh i thought Quest 2 will run simillar as Rift S do..

So Quest 2 is similar to other brands - you need to use Steam VR / Revive to use it :shock: ?

Is there any loss of quality using all that software compared to Rift S (directly on Condor app) ?

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:20 pm

The Quest 2 will run Condor 2 without Revive / Steam VR, but the experience is very poor (lots of stuttering, artifacts and low frame rate). Using the Quest 2 via Revive and Steam VR makes the experince a lot better, but yes, there is a performance overhead. The higher resolution and refresh rate of the Quest 2 (vs the Rift S) means you have more than twice as many pixels to generate every second, so a more powerful GPU is required too.

Snapcase

Post by Snapcase » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:00 pm

So - Quest 2 with all that Revive/Steam VR quality loss is still better than Rift S? Or not?

Or it depends of GPU?

What would you buy now? Rift S for simplicity od Quest 2 for a little better quality (or not?) or for the future? In case of some Condor update including some VR support improve?

Thank you!

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 pm

Currently for Condor? Probably RiftS since it runs natively and has decent all around specs besides maybe audio. Once OpenXR is supported it will lose ground to hmd with higher specs but when using reVive and MSAA disabled higher spec hmd are a bit hobbled.

With proper support Index is imo best overall though maybe not the best value in terms of performance per dollar. It remains king of enthusiast hmd even though other headsets may one up it in 1 or 2 areas. High clarity and increased fov makes a big difference in Condor and the unique lenses allow you to really use all the fov. Reverb/G2 have higher clarity in the center of the screen but sharpness rapidly falls off outside the sweet spot. Beyond that is pretty basic feature-wise plus you have to then run WMR in addition to SteamVR and Revive and again no MSAA. OpenVR will make the choice between G2 and Index more difficult, it's a great value is comfortable and light. You can also increase the fov with custom faceplates.

Quest 2 is interesting due to being able to use it without computers and spec wise is a decent hmd once you put a better headband/audio on it. The reVive/no MSAA plus the tether cable situation makes it req a more horsepower to run than equivalent pcvr make it an odd duck for Condor for the time being.

Pimax sounds good on paper but most people that have one don't seem use it as their daily driver unless it's all they have. I see more owners warning others to stay away than any other commonly known hmd but then again I've seen people love theirs. Condor might be one of the situations where it shines compared to other apps that don't make good use of the fov.

Buzz77

Post by Buzz77 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Hi snapcase,

this thread is now some days old and maybe you already made your choice?

If not, keep in mind that when buying a new Occulus HMD (Quest 2 same as Rift S) you will be forced to have a Facebook account. Without that the HMDs will not work! For me this was the killing argument not to buy an Occulus HMD.

The HP Reverb G2 is a very good HMD for flightsims in general, the resolution seems to be one of the best. Important for picture clarity is also the interpuppilary distance. With the HP Reverb G2 you can adjust it from 60 to 68mm to your personal IPD (i.e. my wife has 59mm, mine is 68mm if we could not adjust it we would not have a good picture). The Rift S is fix.

With Condor 2 the setup is a bit strange with the HP Reverb G2 and needs some workarounds so far. But when you have managed this for one time, the picture quality is great with Condor 2 - and then also it is simple to start the sim, even in multiplayer-mode.
I have no other VR HMDs so far, so I can give no direct comparison to FOV or to the sweet spot. For my head the G2 is fine, even without custom faceplates.

If you wanna go with the G2 there is a setup guide that should work (at least at the moment). Your hardware should be ok for it.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20433#p174000

(btw: StaemVR and Revive you also need for the Quest2)

If Condor implements native support for WMR in the future, the strange setup would be obsolete. But if and when this will happen I don´t know.

Good luck!

Buzz77