Framerate + low GPU usage issues

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Tobster

Framerate + low GPU usage issues

Post by Tobster » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:40 pm

I've started getting a problem where the framerate drops horribly (~22fps) with stuttering and jumping that makes the game unplayable. It's been starting about 20 minutes after joining an online task.

While this is going on, CPU & GPU temperatures and utilisation are low; Radeon is only stating 5% GPU usage.

I've tried enabling vsync; no effect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Valve Index, Ryzen 5 3600X and Radeon Vega 64 with latest drivers.

jcomm

Re: Framerate + low GPU usage issues

Post by jcomm » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:31 am

What type of PC ? Is it a laptop ?

What operating system ? Is it Win 10 ?

If both, it can well be the case that the OS is reverting to power saving mode. You can try to edit the graphics settings for condor in your GPU control panel, but I don't have any experience with AMD. There should be an option for - power optimization - and you should probably have to set it to "best performance".

The following text was extracted from these tips for MFS 2020, which you might want to check for other tips...

Switching to the dedicated AMD GPU
Open Radeon Settings. One way to do that is right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop and choosing Radeon Settings from the menu.
Navigate to Preferences > Additional Settings > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
Select Microsoft Flight Simulator from the list of applications. If it is not in the list, click the Add Application button and select the *.exe-file of MSFS from the MSFS's installation directory. This adds MSFS to the list and you'll be able to select it afterwards.
In the column Graphics Settings, assign the High Performance profile to Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Apply your changes.

In Win 10 you can also enable the Gamming Bar ( Win key + G ) and create a profile for condor, setting it for best performance, and, should the PC have a built in GPU apart your Radeon Vega, make sure it is run using the Radeon. I don't use it with Condorsoaring because even my rather old i5 2500 and GTX 960 4GB GPU are giving me 100+ fps with max settings in Condor. Having SSDs instead of HDDs also helped when scenery loads.
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!