Can Condor actually deliver above 60 hz in VR to eliminate stutter and frame drops via Oculus link ?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Mas

Can Condor actually deliver above 60 hz in VR to eliminate stutter and frame drops via Oculus link ?

Post by Mas » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:41 am

As far as I know if a program won't sync at the same frame rate as the native refresh of the VR headset panels you will get frame drops and that will show as slight microstutters or judder in the view . I have always seen this in Condor VR ( the slight juddering ) particularly when the glider is in a bank and the scenery is moving fast across the field . Frame drops /judder cause an increase in VR nausea too.

I've been investigating what video card to buy to improve Condor VR experience as I'm happy with the lack of screen door effect in the Quest 2. So I have been playing around with the head up performance display that you can create in game with Oculus Tray Tool . My system is an i5-6600 and a GTX 1060 with 16gb Ram . So as i change the refresh rate from 72 , 80 and 90 and the render resolution in Quest 2 device settings I can see my hardware CPU /GPU overhead space changing a lot . With all settings set to very high in Condor and 90hz and high render resolution I can go into negative overhead pretty easily . If the delevered frame rate falls down towards 45hz the Oculus software syncs in to 45hz which is where they use ASW or Asynchronous Space warp . Not ideal for simmimg but it does give a smoother image . if my frame rate is above that I just lose a lot of frames and see the very slight micro- stutter particularly in a turn and over time I drop thousands of frames .

Now the performance HUD also shows me that no matter what I do , no matter how basic the graghics I set and how high I get my general overhead GPU/CPU ( can get it to around 80% ) I cannot get my frame rate any better than around 60 fps . By the logic of all the overhead I create with low settings my frame rate should be able to easily get up to 72, 8-0 or 90 if I lower settings .

But no matter what settings I use for the most part I can get it up to 60 fps and no higher . I notice that I can't switch off the dektop monitor - it still stays in the mix somewhere.

The end rsult I notice is that the slight microstuttering I see due to only delivering 60 fps to an 80hz headset , is the same no matter how much load I take off the GPU/CPU . So long as the program can't sync in at 90 hz ( fps ) I am going to get stuttering and the same rate of frame dropping . I feel that maybe I can go and buy a RTX 2070 or better and it won't improve the experience .

If the problem is due to the minitor frequency of the flat screen monitor that is connected to COndor , maybe I can't get over 60 fps ?

SO CAN I ASK ANYONE WHO HAS AB OCULUS LINK CONNECTION - are you able to sync the Quest and lock it in solid with a higher frame rate such as 72 80 or 90 HZ and get no significant frame drops ? Even with my settings down to cartoon quality in Condor I still get thousands of dropped VR frames with Condor sitting at 60 fps at max.

I also wonder if anyone has a monitor that will run at a higher refresh rate , do you find this gives COndor the ability to sync in solid with a native frequency of the monitor ?

Hoping to get to the bottom of these things to justify buying a better video card to use with the Quest 2 ...

wickid

Re: Can Condor actually deliver above 60 hz in VR to eliminate stutter and frame drops via Oculus link ?

Post by wickid » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:08 am

Do you have V-synch turned on? I have a RTX2070 and I can easily get 300-400 fps with max settings.
PH-1504, KOE

Mas

Re: Can Condor actually deliver above 60 hz in VR to eliminate stutter and frame drops via Oculus link ?

Post by Mas » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:29 am

wickid wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:08 am
Do you have V-synch turned on? I have a RTX2070 and I can easily get 300-400 fps with max settings.
I have V sync turned off and shift D displays me 360fps with all settingsd on minimum .

Oculus Tray Tool Performance heads up display shows my in VR frame rate running at around 60 fps and I am dropping VR frames at the rate of around 700 a minute which makes senses as the headset is set ( in this case ) at 72hz and the game is delivering 60 hz which amounts to 12hz X 60 sec or 720 frames per minute . These dropped frames are what causes the slight jusddering in the scenery when you turn your head .

The movement to photon latency is also around 55ms which is also bad for VR - you want around 20 to 30 to not induce nausea.

So again I issue a challenge here. Can any VR users riunning LINK please fire up Oculus Tray Tool - switch on the performance overlay and tell me if you can sync solidly at 72 , 80 or 90 hz and NOT be dropping frames at a great rate .

I think there is a problem here , that can't be solved with good hardware , but I need more user input . If the software can't deliver frames in VR at the same rate to Sync to the headset then you will have a substandard experience or be forced into ASW mode at 45 fps.

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:58 pm

You may have already seen this in the other threads, but the issue you are having is because Condor's Oculus SDK is broken or out of date for the link/quest.

You have to run via Revive (version 1.8.0 to be safe).

I can get steady 90fps on a 2080 GPU at maximum resolution in the Quest 2 and max detail in Condor.

staslos

Post by staslos » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Short answer is yes.

A comprehensive guide to Oculus Quest 2 over link setup https://uploadvr.com/how-to-oculus-link-best-quality/