OpenXR Now That Oculus Requires Facebook Account?

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

ryanwoodie

Re: OpenXR Now That Oculus Requires Facebook Account?

Post by ryanwoodie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:36 pm

Steam is moving to openXR. Would that then bring support for OpenXR to most other headsets?

https://www.wepc.com/news/steam-vr-switches-to-openxr/

If nothing else, it would be nice to get the Oculus SDK/API updated :-) so that quest (link) users don't have to use the revive workaround (which may be contributing to the poor performance/FPS some users are reporting).

I agree with the comment that VR is the future and that it also opens up a larger market of users beyond hardcore sailplane enthusiasts.

Ryan

stepleton

Post by stepleton » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Another plea for anything that doesn't require a Facebook account. Am I right to understand that even with the Revive hack, you'll still need to log into Facebook to use the Oculus software? That's a red line for me.

(I'm hesitant even to install the Oculus software to find out for myself.)

An interesting side note in that article that ryanwoodie linked to points out that OpenXR support seems to be under development for the Oculus headsets as well.

SootyJohn

Post by SootyJohn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:25 pm

I have not been able to get my Vive pro headset o work on Condor.
I have struggled with the instructions of upload this go to this site but don't install ect.
Can we please have a system that allows easy use of VR for all.

I don't even mind paying a little more to get it sorted.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi again, I have just read this article (in spanish, sorry) but it´s absolutely relevant :

https://www.realovirtual.com/noticias/9 ... ncia-quest

I have translated the final paragraph, I think it´s very interesting:

"Phase Sync is available to developers with the V23 Mobile SDK version as an optional feature, and it has also been integrated into the latest versions of UE4 and Unity so that developers can easily enable it. In the case of the Unreal engine it is as easy as checking a box, in the case of Unity you must use an Oculus XR plugin. If these tools are not used, Oculus encourages developers to switch to Open XR, where it is implemented by default, as they do not plan to release a public API."

I usually use a Valve Index to fly in Condor, but due to the lack of mssa the game looks terrible. I think it´s time to fix this trouble, that happens with any non Oculus HMD. I reckon the best way to fix it is to move forward and switch to Open XR. Besides, the Oculus Rift S is discontinued the next year, and the Quest 2 needs an at least two times more powerfull pc to run Condor as good as a PC dedicated HMD, like Valve Index, HP Reverb or so...(by the way, I´m waiting for a brand new HP Reberb 2...)

Good bye and gooood flights :D

wickid

Post by wickid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:06 pm

It is not as easy as checking a box as Condor doens't use Unreal Engine or Unity. It runs on a completely custom engine.

As OXO said:
OXO wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 pm
OpenXR doesn’t yet support all headsets.

Let’s wait...
PH-1504, KOE

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:32 pm

wickid wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:06 pm
It is not as easy as checking a box as Condor doens't use Unreal Engine or Unity. It runs on a completely custom engine.

As OXO said:
OXO wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 pm
OpenXR doesn’t yet support all headsets.

Let’s wait...

I don't think it's an issue with Condor engine not supporting it but the headset manufacturers that are not quite all up to speed yet. When I look at the list of manufacturers (and hence supported hmd) that are fully on board the only meaningful contributor to VR not there is Valve, which would bring nearly every hmd not already listed there under the umbrella. Luckily they are moving towards full integration and by their own words have 95% of the framework in place and it can already be used in SteamVR Beta as of last June.
Our definition of initial support is that SteamVR is currently passing 95% of conformance tests. This means now is the time to start testing things,” Valve explains. “SteamVR’s OpenXR implementation supports D3D11 on Windows, and Vulkan on both Windows and Linux. Support for both D3D12 on Windows is on the way
https://uploadvr.com/valve-openxr-steamvr-beta/

https://uploadvr.com/valve-openxr-transition-openvr/

The good news is that Valve will definitely get it to 100% and that Condor team is considering this switch once the backend is fleshed out enough. The bad news is that happens at the pace of Valve-time first and Condor-time second :p

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:11 pm

We don't want to use an API which is not mature or has missing support.

When its ready, so will we be.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Well, all three of the big VR platforms now recommend OpenXR - and Facebook (Oculus) are beginning to add features to their OpenXR SDK that they are not adding to their own proprietary one – so it would seem that Microsoft, Valve (Steam) and Facebook (Oculus) all consider OpenXR to be sufficiently "mature" and supported; and it's supported not just on one platform (Oculus, with hacks that allow access from Steam as well) but all three.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-now-recommends-openxr/
Facebook Follows Valve & Microsoft In Recommending Game Engines Use OpenXR

DAVID HEANEY
DECEMBER 10, 2020

Facebook now recommends game engines support Oculus headsets via the OpenXR standard, not its proprietary SDK (software development kit).

Most VR games are made with the Unity and Unreal game engines. Unreal added support for OpenXR this year, and Unity plans to do the same by next year. Earlier this week, Facebook added a latency-reducing option called Phase Sync to the Unity & Unreal integrations. That same feature won’t be available to other engines via the Oculus SDK. According to Facebook:

…Phase Sync will be the default Vr Timing management method in our OpenXR implementation. Since we have rolled out our formal OpenXR support, we encourage native developers to switch over and test the feature.

This marks the first Oculus feature available on OpenXR but not the native SDK. On Twitter, a Facebook engineer told Virtual Desktop developer Guy Godin that OpenXR is “the future”, and to not be surprised if further features are OpenXR-only.

Valve made an announcement to the same effect back in June, and Microsoft followed back in October.

Facebook started accepting OpenXR submissions to it Oculus Store back in July. It looks like it now intends to make it the default. There’s no word on any plans to deprecate the existing Oculus SDK.

pckormic

Post by pckormic » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:31 pm

By the way, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will introduce VR support this Decembrer (22th) only with OpenXR ... :?

Here are the instructions to run the simulator in vr mode :

Before you can access VR mode in Microsoft Flight Simulator, you must:

Download and install OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality from the Microsoft Store.
Open the Mixed Reality Portal app
On the lower-left corner of the app select See More
In the menu that appears select Set Up OpenXR. Doing this will cause the Windows Store to launch from where you can install the runtime. If this menu item does not appear, OpenXR may already be installed on your PC.

Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator and update the sim to version 1.10.7.0.

To access VR mode (currently only available once loaded into a flight):

Before launching the sim, first launch the Mixed Reality Portal from the Windows Start Menu.
With the Mixed Reality Portal running in the background, launch Microsoft Flight Simulator!
Once in the sim, setup and launch a Free Flight as you normally would.
Once your flight has loaded and you are in the cockpit, press CTRL+TAB to enter VR mode.
Put on your headset, look straight ahead, and re-center the camera by pressing SPACEBAR.
Enjoy and have a safe flight!  
If you run into any issues or are unable to enter VR mode during a flight, please reach out to us here: support@flightsimulator.zendesk.com

Actually only runs with WMR Headsets (HP Reverb for example) but it will run in OpenXR with Oculus and Steam HMD´S when the beta is finished)

Regards

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 am

pckormic wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:31 pm
By the way, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will introduce VR support this Decembrer (22th) only with OpenXR ... :?
Do you have a link for that?
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:37 am

OXO wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 am
pckormic wrote:

https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/13 ... 8740775936

https://www.flightsimulator.com/instruc ... nching-vr/
Download and install OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality from the Microsoft Store.

c. In the menu that appears select Set Up OpenXR. Doing this will cause the
Windows Store to launch from where you can install the runtime. If this menu item
does not appear, OpenXR may already be installed on your PC.

...SteamVR users please opt-in to the SteamVR Beta to enable support.
...Oculus users please opt-in to the Oculus Rift Public Test Channel to enable support

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:26 pm

OXO wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:46 am
pckormic wrote:
Of course I find the new video MS made on the subject after I already posted but here's more (OpenXR mentioned around the 1:50 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfx_rF ... e=youtu.be

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Microsoft Flight Simulator publicly released VR mode supporting OpenXR:

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-flig ... 28139.html

A friend, who I would like to fly with in Condor, reported it works well. He has a Vive. I have an HP Reverb. Revive is the only thing stopping us from flying in Condor.

er1cw

Post by er1cw » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:52 am

+ 1

Pimax user here and I’m can no longer play condor2 because it requires older pimax driver and outdated revive to work.

Switching to openxr will solve this once and for all.

staslos

Post by staslos » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:17 pm

MS Flight Simulator 2020 now works with Oculus Rift using OpenXR. For that to work, update to the latest Beta version of the Oculus software.

More details https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/re ... nds/337930
and
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr ... t-s/338344

Merry Christmas!