Quest 2 Feedback

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

ryanwoodie

Re: Quest 2 Feedback

Post by ryanwoodie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:17 pm

Chris, interestingly, I have been doing some similar testing - both VR and "pancake" flat screen 4k. I found a smoking deal on a beauty of a used gaming PC build last week, with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and AMD 5600XT GPU. Overall this machine with the stronger GPU should have been at least 10% faster than my previous one (3600 CPU and 1660 super), but in condor VR it couldn't hold 90hz at all. In pancake mode (4k all graphics maxed out), it was also also about 20% worse FPS (eg. 80FPS) than the 3600+1660s(+100FPS). Flight sims can be CPU intensive, so I suspected this might be the case. I installed MSI Afterburner for the detailed FPS overlay (https://youtu.be/GtrJVQm-DSA) and indeed all the processing was being done on a single thread (CPU1) and maxing out at 100% usually with GPU very under-utilized. This is why the 3600 was performing better (a bit better CPU)

Doing the same thing in Aerofly FS2, however I was getting like a constant +150FPS 4k ultra flatscreen (vs. ~110FPS on the 3600+1660s), even though its scenery and models are higher resolution. It however was using all 12 threads and had the GPU fully utilized!

In VR with the link however, I couldn't get Aerofly FS2 close to utilizing full CPU/GPU and it would sometimes get frame drops at 90hz. Otherwise was pretty good.

So I think there is some issue with the link that is bottlenecking the GPU/CPU. Perhaps it is the USB (I do have good Anker cable and proper 2.2GB/s transfer rate), but I had the same result with Virtual Desktop as well.

In Condor, with the 2600 + 5600XT, something was just "off" in VR. Very compressed image, latency and not great performance (always at 45hz). My guess is that is due to AMD drivers and/or Oculus not supporting AMD as well with the link.

So, with that (and Condor being 90% of use for PCVR) I passed on that super nice AMD build to a friend, and got a not near as nice PC with an even more powerful GPU (I5-8300 and RTX 2080). Haven't finished setting it up yet however - will report back after further testing.

Ryan

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 pm

ryanwoodie wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:08 pm
Regarding your instructions, once one has the proper components (Steam, Oculus, Revive 1.8.1) installed, you can just launch by dragging and dropping condor.exe to reviveinjector. It will load Steam VR, etc, on its own. Saves a few steps.
I just want to make a note for this "file", that in setting up another PC, that only Revive 1.8.0 worked for me. 1.8.1 wouldn't "inject" into Condor (ie. launch through steam instead of oculus). I follow the setup instructions in the Condor manual for 1.8.0.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks Ryan, really useful, especially as I was eyeing up a 5700 XT for my other PC! My 15% CPU utilisation figure would match with one core being run at 100% and the rest twiddling their thumbs? I think as a working assumption, Condor 2 is probably only single threaded and as a 32bit application, is limited to 3Gb GPU memory. Both of those could now be major bottlenecks? Quest 2 requires frame compression and decompression which might be an issue too? Then there is the Oculus API being used, which might be the reason that native support is poorer than the revive route? If the above is the case, then a rewrite to a multi-threaded, 64bit app, with an Open VR API, would make a huge difference (but yes, probably quite a bit of work too!!)

In other news, I found that I needed a powered USB 3.1 hub to stop Quest 2 losing contact with the PC (not just a Condor problem).

Finally, if any club sim builders are looking at VR, I would suggest NOT using the Quest 2 / Link solution at this time, as it is way more complicated (and open to failure) than just "Start Condor and put the headset on" which worked with the Rift S etc. Quest 2 is an "enthusiast" solution at this time.

Keep the feedback coming.

Chris

patjordan

Post by patjordan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Chris,

I've been dealing with an Oculus Link Issue, telling me to upgrade the cable. I have the Oculus Link fiber cable and using a new MSI GE66 laptop with 3.1USB ports. Been going back and forth with Oculus support - no resolution yet.

What are you using for a link cable and are you experiencing any issues?

I have read that is is possible to run C@ through Virtual Desktop (assume this is without a link cable), but have not seen any clear instructions how to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Pat, I use one of these and no issues:

Anker PowerLine+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M5GMZ6X/

I bought it after seeing it recommended elsewhere. Getting a min of 1.2mbs on the test.

Good luck.

Chris

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:33 am

Very interesting as a post.
I also struggle with my new quest2, while with the rift it works wonderfully.
But this allows me to update my drivers and fine-tune the settings on the Nvidia panel, occulus tray tool etc .....

But no miracle solution yet ........ :oops: :oops:

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 am

patjordan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:57 pm
I have the Oculus Link fiber cable and using a new MSI GE66 laptop with 3.1USB ports. Been going back and forth with Oculus support - no resolution yet.

I have read that is is possible to run C@ through Virtual Desktop (assume this is without a link cable), but have not seen any clear instructions how to do this.
Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/co ... ware_wont/

For VD, it runs the same as described in this thread, using Revive and Steam.

If you are looking for info on installing VD in general, lots of info/tutorials available with a quick search. It's very easy to use but could take some tweaks to wifi/network to get the latency down.

I typed a detailed update earlier today on my testing with the link, but I think this forum logs people out after a few minutes and my post was lost when it went to post and it went to the login screen instead (and was gone when I hit back).

The main news was that I got fair bit better performance/CPU stability by (right-click) setting condor.exe to "realtime" priority in task manager (details tab). Also unchecking CPU 0 from "set affinity" may have helped. Condor runs multi-thread on this CPU (i5-8600)

Sailabout

Post by Sailabout » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Where can I find this SS (supersampling) setting that I see in several postings above? I cannot find it in the Oculus Link PC app nor in the Quest2 settings.

On the other hand, I had a real improvement by setting the bitrate to 500 (default was 0) in the Oculus Debug Tool (found in the C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics directory).

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Sailabout wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Where can I find this SS (supersampling) setting that I see in several postings above? I cannot find it in the Oculus Link PC app nor in the Quest2 settings.
Supersampling is in the Oculus PC tool, in the Devices menu. Click on the "Quest 2 and touch" image and then select "Graphics Preferences". This is the same place to select 90hz.

Mas

Post by Mas » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:18 am

On the supersampling , the `rendering resolution 'in Link settings is not exactly the same as supersampling . This discussion has been had on the Reddit /Oculus Quest .. At a setting of 1.7X in Link settings in the Oculus app, pixels are rendered at 1:1 so the 1.0 X is actually lower sampling to keep performance better for lower cards . Mine seems to detect my 1060 and won't let me go higher than 1.5X anyways .

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 am

Running some more tests and I am convinced (for my PC at least) is that Condor 2 is single threaded and that the performance issue is a CPU one. Running C2 in non-VR mode (as it's easier to watch Task Manager) and I get the following:

Memory and GPU running at only 30%. 1 Logical processor maxed at 100% and the rest running at noise level. Layering on Oculus software / Steam etc adds workload to the other CPUs. My CPU ihas great overall perfomance but split into 12 Logical Processors, of which C2 only uses one. :(

Removing the Logical Processors (turn SMT off) and running in VR mode I get following:

It makes no difference to the VR framerate however :(

I guess I am resigned to what is quite a smooth 45 FPS Quest 2 experience, with the annoyance of having to Inject using Revive / Steam VR etc.

Welcome feedback from other CPUs!

Chris

Sailabout

Post by Sailabout » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:55 am

Here is a glimpse from my modest machine . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 pm

My I7-8750H runs 1 Logic core 100% and a second at around 90%. Rest is pretty much idle. It is a 6 core, 12 thread processor. My RTX 2070 hovers around 85-90% and I'm getting 300+ FPS on max settings. AFAIK Condor is able to use 2 cores.
PH-1504, KOE

patjordan

Post by patjordan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Here's the latest from my end:

1. Bought a Fasgear 3.0 Cable on Amazon (it's now $16.00US). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FY ... UTF8&psc=1. My Oculus Link cable was defective.

2. I am now using the following procedure for Condor2 on Quest2:

On the PC:
• launch Steam then go to the left lower corner of the STEAM Welcome page and select: Add a Game, then "add a game not STEAM". Select the CONDOR2 program.
• Go to Oculus Settings > General and Enable Unknown Sources
• Run STEAM VR
• Go to Oculus again, Library you will find that the Condor 2 icon has been added

On Quest2:
• Link your headset cable to the computer and put your headset to ON
• Click on the icon to start a new game

No more dragging the Condor.exe to the Reviveinjector.

After setting things up as above, I simply put on the headset and run Condor2 from the headset. (Naturally you need to run Free Flight and Start flight from the PC.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:36 pm

patjordan wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:36 pm

2. I am now using the following procedure for Condor2 on Quest2:

On the PC:
• launch Steam then go to the left lower corner of the STEAM Welcome page and select: Add a Game, then "add a game not STEAM". Select the CONDOR2 program.
• Go to Oculus Settings > General and Enable Unknown Sources
• Run STEAM VR
• Go to Oculus again, Library you will find that the Condor 2 icon has been added

On Quest2:
• Link your headset cable to the computer and put your headset to ON
• Click on the icon to start a new game

No more dragging the Condor.exe to the Reviveinjector.

After setting things up as above, I simply put on the headset and run Condor2 from the headset. (Naturally you need to run Free Flight and Start flight from the PC.
Just started using the Revive Helper (see elsewhere in the VR forum) and it all starts with a single icon! Very impressed. I am have used your method above but it does not invoke "Revive" and so seems to give a poorer experience? Try the Revive Helper and see how you get on?