Quest 2 Feedback

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

johngfoster

Re: Quest 2 Feedback

Post by johngfoster » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Any possibility that Condor will be available for download directly to the Quest 2? If so, would it be better to get the 256 Gig version over the 64 Gig version?

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:10 pm

No.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

Mas

Post by Mas » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm loving the Condor 2 with Quest 2 . I've got everything maxed and it runs smooth on a GTX 1060 6gb at 72hz with no supersampling . I love the fact that the screen door effect is almost eliminated . At least what there is just looks like a fine texture .

I am getting a Gtx 2070 soon so I expect then with 90hz activated I'll be able to use 1.2X ss , though I'm very happy with it now.

I've orderd the extra facial interface kit which won't come till December ( ? ) . I hear the wide interface fits glasses better like Q1 .At the moment I have to put disposable contacts in . The faster CPU processor in the Quest 2 makes for a much better experience .

Even though cockpit scale look good with a setting of 0.92 , I still struggle with the cockpit seeming to ''leap' from my chest , which doesn't feel right . If I push myself down in the seat and use view reset , I can get my eyepoint higher which feels better . I wish there were some way to adjust my eyepoint vertically in in the cockpit so my hips and legs were closer visually to where I feel them .

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:31 pm

I've been using a Quest 1 for several months now but have recently been having problems with the device disconnecting in Condor. I've also noticed that recently the performance has taken a dive.
Now, admittedly my PC is 8 years old but it has an i7 3770 and an RTX2060 and I had been getting 72fps with all condor settings maxed and SS at a silly 2.0. ASW forced off too. Now I get around 65fps and quite jerky when I move my head.
So, you'd think that to bring performance back I'd just need to reduce SS to something reasonable? Nope, no difference. Turn Condor graphics down a bit? Nope. OK, force ASW on for a solid 36fps? Different, but still not smooth.
Chose Dirt Rally 2.0 for a random comparison to eliminate any system problem - solid 72.
Also notice that perfomance monitoring shows plenty of headroom on both GPU and CPU (unless paused) so system doesn't appear to be struggling. Fan speed sounds quite low too. Until recently I was used to the fan howling away when flying Condor.

So came here looking for anyone else having problems recently and found the comments about Condor and the Oculus API interesting. The idea that running an Oculus app into Revive into Steam into Oculus sounds utterly bonkers but I can see how it could work and will have a go at the weekend.

As we've had recent updates to both Condor and Oculus recently I'm unsure what's changed to mess this up, suspect Oculus though.

CircusOz

Post by CircusOz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 pm

K6chris,

A big vote of thanks for taking the time to describe your experiences with the Q2 . The thread is very useful .I'm impatiently waiting to see if VR technology is worth the financial investment and troubleshooting hassles.

patjordan

Post by patjordan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Like Chris, I am "terminally stupid" with respect to Quest 2 and PC's (a longtime Mac user). Condor 2 works OK on my Mac running VMWare, but it will not support Quest 2. I purchased an MSI GE66, 240Hz, 32GB Ram, and Nvidia 2070S to run Condor2 and Quest 2. I appreciate Chris' simplifying the steps and added a few more details for those just starting out and assumes NO knowledge of Quest 2. The following steps outline what I learned and the results:

Preparation:

1. Download and Install Oculus Software on your PC: https://www.oculus.com/setup/
2. Download and install Steam an SteamVR: https://store.steampowered.com/steamvr - Follow the prompts to install both Steam and SteamVR
3. Download Revive v 1.8.1 : https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases
4. Connect Quest 2 Headset to PC via USB-C cable.

Execution:

1. On the PC run Oculus software
2. Turn ON the Quest 2 Headset. If it is already on you may have to Restart it (Off then On)
3. Via the Quest 2 Headset: Settings > Device > Enable Oculus Link
4. On the PC run SteamVR. If you have already run SteamVR, you may be able to run it from the Quest 2 Headset. This will display the SteamVR screen on the Quest 2 Headset.
5. Using the left controller, press the Menu button. This will display the “Library” screen. Press the “Revive” button in the lower left hand corner (third button from the left).
6. On the PC drag the Condor2 application over the ReviveInjector application (Program Files>Revive>64 folder). This will start the Condor2 application on the PC.
7. Select Free Flight and Start Flight on the PC. The cockpit view will display in Quest 2 Headset.

Notes:

• While Condor 2 appears to run well, with good resolution on the headset, the PC display freezes during landscape loading with message "Almost done". This has no impact on the headset simulation. Not sure how to resolve.
• In Condor 2 Setup > Graphics > Video Options make sure MSAA supersampling is “Disabled”. Setup VF [ON].
• You may want to configure “Start flight” as a button on your joystick to make it easier to takeoff without keyboard keystrokes.

In reading the other posts, it seems that using Virtual Desktop produces better resolution. Would like to learn more about this. Thanks.

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Thank you Patjordan for this good tutorial, simple and concise

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:10 am

I did some tests but it seems that my razerblade with a GTX 1060 M-Qdesign card is a little weak to make the Quest2 work well, I have lagging images.
I will have to optimize my computer with tray tools.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:58 pm

FYI there is an update now available for Oculus PC SW and Quest 2 SW which gives 90hz and oversampling settings (configured from the Oculus PC SW / Device settings). Only had a brief play but seems to work, though it will require more powerful graphics cards that original Condor 2 on Rift. Anyone else played yet??

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi Chris,

I just manually updated my Quest 2 to v23 last night (as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcM0LVGo7M). The new graphic settings for Link are super helpful. I only had time to try out Aerofly FS2 on it with the Cessna 152. It was actually quite impressive at 90hz and max 1.7ss - it kicked into Asynchronous Spacewarp mode (45fps that is reprojected to 90fps on the headset) in heavily detailed scenery but was still quite smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in Condor. I will try to remember to post an update.

AUBUISSON

Post by AUBUISSON » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Mas wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm
I'm loving the Condor 2 with Quest 2 . I've got everything maxed and it runs smooth on a GTX 1060 6gb at 72hz with no supersampling . I love the fact that the screen door effect is almost eliminated . At least what there is just looks like a fine texture .

I am getting a Gtx 2070 soon so I expect then with 90hz activated I'll be able to use 1.2X ss , though I'm very happy with it now.

I've orderd the extra facial interface kit which won't come till December ( ? ) . I hear the wide interface fits glasses better like Q1 .At the moment I have to put disposable contacts in . The faster CPU processor in the Quest 2 makes for a much better experience .

Even though cockpit scale look good with a setting of 0.92 , I still struggle with the cockpit seeming to ''leap' from my chest , which doesn't feel right . If I push myself down in the seat and use view reset , I can get my eyepoint higher which feels better . I wish there were some way to adjust my eyepoint vertically in in the cockpit so my hips and legs were closer visually to where I feel them .
https://vroptician.com/# This is ideal

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Something I have noticed since the 90Hz mode has been released. My GTX 1060 (and indeed GTX970) which happily drove a Rift S at 80Hz, can only drive a Quest 2 at 60ish FPS peak. Given the increase in resolution, that is perhaps not suprising. However the Quest 2 seems to go into the reduced frame rate "Asynchronous Spacewarp" mode if the GPU used is not powerful enough to render the full 72Hz. This delivers a very unsatifactory 36 FPS. If you select 90Hz however, even with a low powered GPU, the same throttling delivers 45hz, which is far more usable! Additionally, the throttled frame rate lowers GPU usage, so you can add in some super sampling to get a much better image. Net of this is, you will get a better result using a setting of 90Hz and 1.2 supersampling, that using the recoomended 72Hz and 1.0 SS setting! I am doing some more testing soon to see what poer of GPU is required to drive the Quest 2 at a steady 90Hz and (say) 1.2 super sampling. All input welcome. I have put a longer version of this work on Linkedin if anyone is interested - search for Chris Davison.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Have played with various monitoring tools, both the “performance HUD” on Oculus and a GPU utilisation logger, I am none the wiser as to why only about 45 FPS is being achieved on my Quest 2 set up? The Oculus HUD tool shows a rock stead 90Hz and 80% performance headroom in the Steam (or indeed Oculus Rift Link) home world, which drops to 45 FPS and -40% performance headroom as soon as Condor starts. My GPU utilisation peaks at 35%, with no more than 4Gb of its memory being utilised. RAM is max 7Gb of the 16Gb installed and my Ryzen 5 1600x is showing about 15% CPU utilisation. HUD Performance monitor shows a steady stream of "Application Frames Dropped". Changing rendering setting to the lowest possible and / or changing the Quest 2 resolution to lowest specs seems to make little difference? I know that C2 only uses 3Gb GPU memory, does anyone know if it only uses a single core of the CPU? Could that be the issue??

If anyone is getting the fabled rock steady 90 FPS on Condor 2 with the Quest 2 could they post their PC / GPU set up here please, as I am curious as to where my bottleneck is?

Having said all that C2 is still very playable at 45 FPS on the Quest 2, I just think it could be so much better if I could address my frame rate bottleneck.

Thanks!

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I am looking into the case, because with my occulus quest2 I have some blur, and some lag.
and I turn to the setting of my nvidia panel.
I think there are solutions to look to here.

Lars Hofman

Post by Lars Hofman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Big thanks for the Revive tip guys. Condor is running beautifully now, really great! I practise my glider aerobatic programs with Condor so it is a must to have it running as smoothly as possible. Before it was choppy like hell. :mrgreen: