New Quest 2 should be great for VR Condor

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Mas

New Quest 2 should be great for VR Condor

Post by Mas » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 am

Ahead of Facebook connect theres been a FB internal video leak of some training videos , which show that soon to be released Quest 2 the (rumored ) 90hz panels will be about 2K resolution per eye and probably LED which have more sub-pixels than OLED panels, and more powerful internal GPU and CPU .
The headset itself will be lighter and 20 percent smaller . With the 64gb model leaked to be $299 USD this looks to be a really cost effective HMD to link to a PC to run with Condor via Link cable . I have the Oculus Quest ( 1 ) with Condor
and still find the screen door effect on the OLED panel a bit distracting . Hopefully with 2K LED panels screen door will be almost gone .

k6chris

Re: New Quest 2 should be great for VR Condor

Post by k6chris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Agreed. Hopefully announced this Wednesday. Fingers crossed it's a step up in clarity and not a cut down version of the Quest.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/

Looks very good - Shipping in October. Higher resolution (1832 x 1920, up to 90Hz, IPD adjustement) and lower price (£299 GBP) than previous versions. Not sure what difference this will make for Condor, but hopefully it's a good thing!

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:27 pm

Looks like it will require a Facebook account to work
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Just create a fake one.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:27 pm
Facebook will discover we like gliding.........

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 am

k6chris wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Looks very good - Shipping in October. Higher resolution (1832 x 1920, up to 90Hz, IPD adjustement) and lower price (£299 GBP) than previous versions. Not sure what difference this will make for Condor, but hopefully it's a good thing!
Any update on this? I'm planning to go with VR goggles, and had initially thought to go with the Rift S at $400. But if this has better resolution, and is cheaper, then this will definitely be the direction I'll pursue. Any reason to get the Rift S over the Quest 2? Thanks.

k6chris

Post by k6chris » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:30 pm

johngfoster wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 am
k6chris wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Any update on this? I'm planning to go with VR goggles, and had initially thought to go with the Rift S at $400. But if this has better resolution, and is cheaper, then this will definitely be the direction I'll pursue. Any reason to get the Rift S over the Quest 2? Thanks.
Hi, yes there is a new Quest 2 thread. I think the Quest 2 will be a much better headset than the Rift S, but there is an issue with the frame rate at the moment, still very playable though.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm
Just create a fake one.
This is honestly bad advice. Fake accounts only work if they are older than a few years and can fool the machine learning AI they use to spot them. New ones get squashed immediately and when they do you lose your content and your hmd becomes a paperweight with no recourse. It's problematic to say the least. Even legit new accounts are being shut down with no recourse with alarming frequency.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm

k6chris wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 pm
Bre901 wrote:
Many people want nothing to do with Facebook and it's a perfectly valid response for this req to be a dealbreaker.. it's not about fb knowing you like to glide this is a particularly terrible company with a far right agenda that has made our world immeasurably worse. At minimum they sell you as a product as it snoops your activity across the entire web (cookies from companies with partnerships [basically all companies] go way beyond what you do on fb) so with hmd you can also add your biometric data to that already vast package.

More important than the utter trampling of personal privacy they have allowed their platform to be used to facilitate literal genocide, allowed stolen user data to be weaponized to undermine democracy the world over, use the influence/might of their platform to dodge accountability and prevent meaningful regulation from existing, let their algorithms and ad targeting promote antivax/antimask lunacy among other toxic conspiracy nonsense and provides a safe haven and organizing tool for white supremacists and this list goes on and on.

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:41 am

sisu1a wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm
k6chris wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 pm
Bre901 wrote:
Many people want nothing to do with Facebook and it's a perfectly valid response for this req to be a dealbreaker.. it's not about fb knowing you like to glide this is a particularly terrible company with a far right agenda that has made our world immeasurably worse. At minimum they sell you as a product as it snoops your activity across the entire web (cookies from companies with partnerships [basically all companies] go way beyond what you do on fb) so with hmd you can also add your biometric data to that already vast package.

More important than the utter trampling of personal privacy they have allowed their platform to be used to facilitate literal genocide, allowed stolen user data to be weaponized to undermine democracy the world over, use the influence/might of their platform to dodge accountability and prevent meaningful regulation from existing, let their algorithms and ad targeting promote antivax/antimask lunacy among other toxic conspiracy nonsense and provides a safe haven and organizing tool for white supremacists and this list goes on and on.
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard of Facebook being referred to as having "a far right agenda", as you say. In fact, I have only ever heard these complaints in the context of them having a left leaning agenda. No matter, what you say about their invasion of our privacy is still true, and I agree with you on that. So if someone doesn't want to open up a Facebook account, I can see how that could be a deal-breaker for them.