Oculus Quest and virtual desktop

Discussion about VR

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Harryb12

Oculus Quest and virtual desktop

Post by Harryb12 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am

Hi,

I'm trying to get Condor working on VR with an Oculus Quest through virtual desktop but it I get a Direct3D error and the log says it's because there is no HMD present. Other games work fine through SteamVR. Does anyone know if there's a way to force Condor into VR even if it doesn't detect a headset or can I do it through SteamVR?

Cheers

Smithers-1968

Re: Oculus Quest and virtual desktop

Post by Smithers-1968 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi Harry,

When you say "Virtual Desktop" do you mean the virtual desktop app or the desktop that's displayed from Oculus home?

I use a quest and don't need any 3rd party software, just Oculus. But Initially I did miss the checkbox on setup to enable VR!

You certainly don't need SteamVR as the game uses Oculus SDK.

Harryb12

Post by Harryb12 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Ok, good to know the quest does work!

Yes the virtual desktop app. Are you using Oculus link or VD to connect?

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:47 pm

I use Oculus link. So, I just start Oculus on the PC, then enable link in the headset, switch to desktop and launch games from there.

Do you have Oculus link working? If so, can you launch other native Rift games?

Only issue I've found with using a Quest rather than a Rift is that some games state headset is not supported when launched, but work fine after that. Also, if you're tweaking supersampling, especially with Steam the resolution is reported wrong. I assume this is because the quest has a higher resolution than the Rift S it's pretending to be.

Harryb12

Post by Harryb12 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:22 am

I couldn't get hold of a cable for Link so have been using Virtual desktop instead which has been faultless excluding this issue! Only adds 20-30ms lag and is completely wireless but it does require decent networking. It doesn't add much for simulators but it's great for games where you're on your feet!

I've now got Condor working through Revive which seems a very round about way to do it but it works!

Smithers-1968

Post by Smithers-1968 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:07 am

So you're piping an Oculus game to Revive to Steam to Virtual Desktop to view on Oculus? Mad but I'm pleased if it works for you.

Didn't know you could use Virtual desktop for wireless VR. I thought it was just for wirelessly relaying the desktop itself, i.e. OK for 2D games.

I just use a 10ft Amazon Basics cable for link, cost me £8.

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen » Sun May 31, 2020 11:36 pm

Virtual Desktop works well with Oculus VR apps that run on the PC from within the Oculus PC app, streaming wirelessly to the Oculus Quest.

Condor 2 has precisely Oculus VR support, though it runs from outside the Oculus PC app.

But when trying to run Condor 2 with Oculus VR enabled, through the Virtual Desktop app, then Condor fails with an error when it tries to initialise Direct3D. (Neither Steam nor Revive are involved.)

Considering that other Oculus VR apps work very nicely, I wonder how difficult it would be to fix the Oculus VR support in Condor 2, so that it too works with Virtual Desktop for the Oculus Quest.

Another, possibly better, option might be to port the VR support in Condor 2 to OpenXR, which has wide industry support including from Valve (Steam) and Oculus.

(Of course if I'm allowed to dream a bit, then it would be awesome to be able to use one or both VR controller(s) to interact with the controls inside the glider – for things like brakes, flaps, trim, landing gear, tow release ...)

CamTheJeweler

Post by CamTheJeweler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm

I have a similar configuration using Virtual Desktop app and Revive and I have experienced some crashing although initial performance with regard to latency was great. (I have a mini-router for a wired/wifi connection specifically for Virtual Desktop)

Condor 2 seems to be more stable using Oculus Quest and Link cable instead of the WiFi and Revive injection. I believe it is the Revive injection that may be causing the issue (Could be memory related?) I need to do more testing however.